Vapor Return Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 AM
DSN46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vapor Return Line Question

Howdy,

I was under the Excursion today to track down a small "knocking" noise underneath. I was pushing around on lines along the driver's side frame rail and found what I think is the knock noise. However, when I pulled on the vapor return lines, the three, short, black hoses that come together at a "T" started crumbling on the outside of them. It is like they are deteriorating on the outside and the black dust (which is hard to wash off by the way) is falling off of them.

Is this a problem? Is this normal wear? Should I be concerned about it?

Other than the rubber hoses deteriorating, the metal lines are all rust free and look fine.

Thank you for any help on this!

James

Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
It's normal wear/aging for rubber, changing them out won't run you too much $ (not that i'v done it), but for piece of mind, it would be better now than later

Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM
SDV10
Senior User
I've done it. Takes a little time but I did all of them for that reason. The crumbling. Tried to get the kid to do it but he said "It looks dirty"

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
DSN46
Elder User
Thank you both for your replies!

It is probably one of those things that a Plastics Engineer from Gates Rubber Co. would tell me "it is designed to do that, you are good for another 10 years". I think I will go ahead and change them out just for piece of mind.

SDV10,
Could you tell me if those three little hoses are a dealer item, or did you get them somewhere else? I read about having to use hose rated for "fuel vapor" in another thread.
Thank you again!

James

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the lines near the fuel filter?
I noticed the hoses in the engine compartment related to fuel vapors also doing the same thing. Outside is shedding and you get nice black fingers when you touch it.
Cheap and easy replacement.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 PM
SDV10
Senior User
I used fuel line for all. I was told by parts house that here in California it wouldn't pass smog if it wasn't 'factory form fit hose.' I have passed twice since I replaced them. Fuel vapor? Fuel? I am no scientist or chemist. They both seem the same to me. LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 AM
DSN46
Elder User
Thanks guys!

az_r2d1 : It is the hoses down by the fuel filter... I haven't looked at the ones up top yet... I'm sure they are in need of attention also.

SDV10 : Thank you. One quick thought. After reading until my eyes bled about fuel and fuel vapor hoses, it seems as though the fuel vapor lines have a special chemical makeup different than regular fuel line. Was reading on the SuperDuty forums about how regular fuel line will collapse due to vapor. Not sure myself. I take everything with a grain of salt. Just thought I would pass that along so you can keep an eye on yours once in awhile.

James

Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM
SDV10
Senior User
Yes I do watch them. I just put in my new motor and saw no problems so far. However I am a little leery because the elbow on the throttle body was toast when i pulled the old motor and that was only two years old. The last IAC valve I put in didn't work either. There is something to be said for genuine Ford motor parts. If these lines rot out I'm going with Ford parts to put them back. My saving grace is that I do all the work so no extra labor costs.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 AM
DSN46
Elder User
Agreed about labor!
I buy genuine Ford parts when I can, but I do 90% of my own labor on everything. It is nice to call the dealership and get a quote for say... upper and lower ball joints on both sides.... then go buy the parts and do it myself and look at how I saved $700.00 in the process.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DSN46
Agreed about labor!
I buy genuine Ford parts when I can, but I do 90% of my own labor on everything. It is nice to call the dealership and get a quote for say... upper and lower ball joints on both sides.... then go buy the parts and do it myself and look at how I saved $700.00 in the process.
Same here.
Extreme example was a timing belt/waterpump job on an older corolla.
Got quotes for close to 1K... I spent less than 100 on parts and did it myself...
Runs like new again.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DSN46
Thanks guys!

az_r2d1 : It is the hoses down by the fuel filter... I haven't looked at the ones up top yet... I'm sure they are in need of attention also.

SDV10 : Thank you. One quick thought. After reading until my eyes bled about fuel and fuel vapor hoses, it seems as though the fuel vapor lines have a special chemical makeup different than regular fuel line. Was reading on the SuperDuty forums about how regular fuel line will collapse due to vapor. Not sure myself. I take everything with a grain of salt. Just thought I would pass that along so you can keep an eye on yours once in awhile.

James
Seems like it would be the same chemicals.. The only addition is air.. unless that air somehow reacts with the fuel vapors and attacks the fuel lines...
don't know.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM
DSN46
Elder User
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Seems like it would be the same chemicals.. The only addition is air.. unless that air somehow reacts with the fuel vapors and attacks the fuel lines...
don't know.
I read up on it. It seems there is a permeation level needed for the vapor lines that regular fluid lines don't have. I read that vapor will eat the regular lines from the inside out and causes them to collapse. Comes from people who know alot more about rubber manufacturing than I do.

James

Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM
SDV10
Senior User
Sounds like you're going to dealer?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM
DSN46
Elder User
Ha!

Unsure at this point on this one. If I can find the right diameter of "vapor" line somewhere, I'll just cut it to length and use it. Having a hard time finding hose that is rated for "vapor".... rediculous really...

I will probably end up at the dealer counter before it's over with. However, the parts guy at my dealership will find every wrong part under the sun for you unless you take him the pre-printed diagram and highlight the part you need.

James

Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 PM
neilc88
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my rusted out vapor return line with fuel line a year ago. No problems so far. I bet that vapor retun line is $200-$500 from the dealer. Let us know how much it is.

Quick Reply: Vapor Return Line Question