Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Front Pump... OK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation C6 Front Pump... OK?

Okay, so I posted this in my build thread, but I figured I might get quicker/more responses if I posted a new thread. I'm doing an engine swap. Transmission and engine didn't mate properly the first time. Took the engine back out to check everything out. The front (side going into the transmission) of the converter is slightly bent. Flexplate is fine.

It seems almost as if the TC didn't even make it all of the way into the transmission. Less sure what I'm looking at in the front pump, but I took the front seal out and I don't really see any obvious damage.
Here are some pictures, what do you think? There's a little bit of debris there from me mangling the front seal getting it out. Is that other little thin light colored ring/bushing meant to slide out too?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When mating the trans and engine, was the torque converter on the engine when mated to trans, or was converter put in transmission and then engine mated to trans.

Converter always goes into trans first. Make sure it slides over both input shafts and engages the pump. Slide it in and turn and turn and turn while you're pushing it in.

Hopefully a trans guy will let you know about the thin piece. I'd have to see it in person to tell you for sure. But looks like its peened into the grooves to keep something from turning. Unless you did that.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to pull the front pump you need a new bushing & seal for sure. I'm betting you may of broke the front pump gear.

Craig

Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
When mating the trans and engine, was the torque converter on the engine when mated to trans, or was converter put in transmission and then engine mated to trans.
On the engine. Dumb move.

Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Hopefully a trans guy will let you know about the thin piece. I'd have to see it in person to tell you for sure. But looks like its peened into the grooves to keep something from turning. Unless you did that.
Yeah, it's definitely pushed into those grooves. I guess to keep it from spinning. Is that the front pump bushing?
I've got a good trans guy that I talked to yesterday, and I'm going back to him today with the pictures. Hopefully he'll be able to tell me something.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:46 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kermmydog
You need to pull the front pump you need a new bushing & seal for sure. I'm betting you may of broke the front pump gear.

Craig
Can I pull the front pump with the trans in the truck without anything falling apart inside? If so, then it's a no-brainer. I'll pull it and take it to my trans guy. If something could come apart inside, I'd feel pretty bad if it did and I had even more to deal with. I can get the trans to different angles in the truck. I can tilt it upwards pretty far since I have a 3" body lift and there's more room until the transmission tunnel interferes.

Know I need the seal (wasn't damaged when trying to install engine, but by me taking it out), and I figured as much on the bushing. Thanks for confirmation.

Really hoping I didn't screw up the pump gear. At least this has been a good learning experiencing...

Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
Can I pull the front pump with the trans in the truck without anything falling apart inside? If so, then it's a no-brainer. I'll pull it and take it to my trans guy. If something could come apart inside, I'd feel pretty bad if it did and I had even more to deal with. I can get the trans to different angles in the truck. I can tilt it upwards pretty far since I have a 3" body lift and there's more room until the transmission tunnel interferes.

Know I need the seal (wasn't damaged when trying to install engine, but by me taking it out), and I figured as much on the bushing. Thanks for confirmation.

Really hoping I didn't screw up the pump gear. At least this has been a good learning experiencing...
It is best to have the trans on the bench. My advice is pull it & take the whole trans to your tranny guy. Any trans shop should have the replacement parts. Plus you need a driver to install & remove the bushing. Again I bet the gear is toast.
Then let your tranny guy tell you how to be sure your converter is all the way in.
In the 70s I was worked in a tranny shop. You have to rotate the converter & push on it. It should drop three times before it is seated into the pump.
Craig

Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
It is best to have the trans on the bench. My advice is pull it & take the whole trans to your tranny guy. Any trans shop should have the replacement parts. Plus you need a driver to install & remove the bushing. Again I bet the gear is toast.
Then let your tranny guy tell you how to be sure your converter is all the way in.
In the 70s I was worked in a tranny shop. You have to rotate the converter & push on it. It should drop three times before it is seated into the pump.
Craig
A lot more than I was hoping to do... If I pull the trans, will I need to remove the transfer case, or just take it out together? If it's not on the bench, will I have parts fall apart inside if I try to pull the pump?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Just stopped by my trans guy and dropped the damaged converter off. He said he can get me a reman one for $100-$125 by Monday. He said that with the bossy lift and the angle I can get the trans at that I shouldn't have an issue with anything behind the pump. He said to tighten the clutch pack adjusted to give it some pressure to help keep it from moving. He also gave me the tool to thread into the pump and pull it out with. About to pull the pump out now.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Got the front pump out now. Turned out its not one with threads in the pump, so that made it harder to get out.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Glad you got it out. If memory serves me you have an o-ring around the pump. Lube it good with Vaseline when you reinstall. That is a good price on a converter. If it was me I would let him do the pump so you get it right, & so he can check it for any other damage. No Front pump or a pump failure your dead in the water.

Craig

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Glad you got it out. If memory serves me you have an o-ring around the pump. Lube it good with Vaseline when you reinstall. That is a good price on a converter. If it was me I would let him do the pump so you get it right, & so he can check it for any other damage. No Front pump or a pump failure your dead in the water.

Craig
Yeah, I'm glad I got it out too. I thought it may have been a bigger issue than it was to get it out. Took about 15 minutes.

I left it at the shop, and he's going to call me soon and tell me what he wants to replace in it.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Got the pump back this morning. One of the gears was broken. It got new gears/bushings/seals.

Also got the reman converter. Ended up being $105.

Got the pump installed, threw the converter in, and lined the engine up. Everything turns nicely now.