Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cackle not just air in fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
UH? Now I need to find out if I can make it stop.... Shortcut to the answer (after 1/2 hour of tinkering) - KOER did it. KOER jacks the ICP up to 2200 PSI at idle and blows the oil rail clear of remaining bubbles. If I'm right, this explains the intermittent nature of the injector cackle: A hard throttle would frequently introduce the cackle, and it would take a long time to clear. I couple this with the suspicion that my LPOP is weak and I have the potential for a "Eureka" moment.
Thoughts?

(KOER) Key on engine running cleared the bubbles? What am I missing here? How did you get the ICP to go up to 2200psi?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Can I send you plane tickets when it's time for me to do sticks? I'll buy beer...

Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
KOER jacks the ICP up to 2200 during one of the tests - that's when the truck gets very aggressive sounding and idle gets weird.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Can I send you plane tickets when it's time for me to do sticks? I'll buy beer...
This sounds like a summer visit.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
KOER jacks the ICP up to 2200 during one of the tests - that's when the truck gets very aggressive sounding and idle gets weird.

But KOER is just the state of the engine for the test, you must do something with AE to actually jack up the ICP with the engine running.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Bring it on... I got the VC popped, cylinder cleared, stick swapped, and engine running in an hour this last time (including the time to clean the hold-down bolt/hole and thread-lock). I'm so pathetic.
I'm not kidding...really.

Brought in the 246 Locktite and primer/activator today. Just assembling all the "Stuff" before I pull the trigger with DP/PIS.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
you might be onto something here. Hey Tug, if your "career' job decides to go south..(god forbid it does), you definitely have a job in "fine tuning/diagnosing" these stinky beasts..

With the amount of us NOT having an AE or do, and have to come here to find out EXACTLY what it means or says..(which in my case, still atta loss), take in the cost, of an AE, that $$ can be applied to your plane fare..(far in advance so cost is cheap), coupled that up with your price for a day or 2, also housed at ones' property..(sure theres a room or 2 not being used at said home)....i see a purdy profitable and vacational, experiencing the country, oppurtunity....hell, i'd pay. Just with the VERY small limited knowledge of what the "numbers' are that popped up on my buddy's aeroforce, i feel little more warm and fuzzy inside, sleeping at night...haha.....guess it be a great idea for a single/bachelor dude for a side gig.....anywho, keep up the good work.....now back to regularly cackled program.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Dan V
I'm not kidding...really.
Yea... I got that. It sounds realistic, as opposed to flying back East.

I have stuff going on early next month, but PM your plans and I'll set up shop.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
But KOER is just the state of the engine for the test, you must do something with AE to actually jack up the ICP with the engine running.
In AE, there is a KOER test. During this test, the vehicle sensors are put through their paces... and IPR jacks the ICP up to 2200 PSI just to see if it can. I see I omitted mentioning AE, so I went back and did an edit.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
you might be onto something here. Hey Tug, if your "career' job decides to go south..(god forbid it does), you definitely have a job in "fine tuning/diagnosing" these stinky beasts..
I already have that tee shirt... but not with diesels. I was a field troubleshooter for a global company. I've been to... uh... seven countries on three continents (not as impressive as our men in uniform, but pretty intense without Uncle Sam). I tried totaling up the cities/towns one time, but I gave up after 250. I was sooo grateful to learn a local company needed all my skills in-house. The offer came two days after a close call in Guatemala.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Yea... I got that. It sounds realistic, as opposed to flying back East.

I have stuff going on early next month, but PM your plans and I'll set up shop.
Yeah....you wouldn't like Minnesota right now.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Dan V
Yeah....you wouldn't like Minnesota right now.
It's nice in the summer. I was there immediately after the bridge collapse, as well as a number of other times... I still have the photos. Welcome to Minneapolis/St Paul... home of Garrison Keillor, and gateway to Red Wing.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
In AE, there is a KOER test. During this test, the vehicle sensors are put through their paces... and IPR jacks the ICP up to 2200 PSI just to see if it can. I see I omitted mentioning AE, so I went back and did an edit.

Ah I see.

I think I heard you can adjust the IPR in AE and essentially set it full closed (or 99% or whatever it goes to) and pump full pressure. I hear a way to test the HPOP and possibly like you mentioned to flush the lines after injector work.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Just to add some additional info to anti-foaming or foaming in Diesel oils. There are three sequence test under ASTM D-892 test that an API certified oil must go through along with a high temp foam test ASTM D6082. If you can find the technical data sheet on the oil you use you just might find the results of these tests. it's been almost 5 years since I've worked for Schaeffer's Oil so some of my knowledge is no longer in my short term memory. But I still have many of my resources lying around and I remember this being a very hot issue here and on PSN when folks were running dual HPOPs and high ICP programs (3,200+) and in the 6.0L. Here is an example (an example - not a push for Schaeffer Oil). Schaeffer's has always publicized there test results. If you look at page 4 on this PDF you can see the tests listed that I mentioned. I'll look up the minimum standard for diesel oils and I think I have the Motorcraft stuff still. But IIRC this is one of the reasons (foaming agent depletion) that Motorcraft recommended 3-5,000 mile OCI's. Sorry I am 6 month late to this thread http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/222-700-td.pdf
Ok, for anyone who cares - this is how the foam tests works ......

ASTM D 892 test procedure is to measure this foaming tendency of the oil.This test includes three sequences and each sequence has two portions.

Sequence - 1 at 24°c (@ 75 F) (sample 1) Sequence - 2 at 93°c (200 F) (sample-2) Sequence - 3 at 24° (sample - 2 again)

1st portion - air blowing into the oil for a period for 5 minutes 2nd portion - settling period for 10 minutes

Why are the results posted as 0/20 or 0/0???

Example , a 20/0 ml result for sequence 1 means, 20 % of foam measured while air was blown into the sample for 5 minutes and 0 in this example means the stability of that foam after 10 minutes settling period is 0 %.

The specification for CJ-4 Diesel Oil (what we have been using since the use of ULSD) allows up to 10% foaming at the lower temp (75 F), and up to 20% foaming at the higher temp test
(sequence 2)

CJ-4 foaming specifications :

Foaming (D 892) Foaming / Settling

Sequence I, max % 10 / 0
Sequence II, max % 20 / 0
Sequence III, max % 10 / 0

Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if the oil you are using starts out with a 10-20% foam sequence it wouldn't be hard to imagine that, that # could increase as additives are depleted. Could this be the reason why the cackle is louder on a hot engine with oil that has been used for longer periods? I don't think it too far fetched......