1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

stock vs rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 06:20 AM
ddurant
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock vs rod

gee guys, i didn't intend to start a fire storm over stock vs rod. i was just trying to find out how far i could go before i went over to the dark side.

Old 06-13-2003, 07:01 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
stock vs rod

Dale

Don't sweat it. You didn't start anything. Carl and I could argue about the weather sometimes I agree with his initial assessment of your ride. You are "updating" or "modernizing" your 49 with some practical features so you can enjoy it more. In my mind, you are not really a stocker any longer. You're beginning to show rodders tendencies. There is hope for you. Niolon and I are circling like buzzards, waiting for you to trip. Your king pins are going to sieze soon, and we'll start assaulting you with IFS and other cool mod PICs.

You build whatever winds your watch. We'll be right here to compliment your work, and poke fun at it in the same post.

Old 06-13-2003, 08:14 AM
fatfords
Elder User
stock vs rod

Originally posted by 286merc
Luckily their is enough room in the hobby for any concept that turns your crank; even if it has a SBC
WOW, there's even room for me!!!

Old 06-13-2003, 08:44 AM
ddurant
Senior User
stock vs rod

i'll show my ignorance, what's a sbc?

Old 06-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Lobo 2
Senior User
stock vs rod

Dale, as far as I know...
SBC = Small Block Che**y.
SBF = Small Block Ford.

At least that's what I've been told...

Regards,
Lobo

Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock vs rod

Dale don't listen to the IFS guys, there is a modern replacement for the ol' kingpin, it has bearings and doesn't need line honed.
STAY AWAY FROM THE DARK SIDE

If only Dean had sung it this way!
Volare, no way, volare -- staay away,

Old 06-13-2003, 09:19 AM
ddurant
Senior User
stock vs rod

i have just had my king pins replaced by a spring shop. they wont be sezing up anytime soon. i will try and stay away fronm the dark side. sold my 56 with jag rear (all chrome) to buy this truck.
i am going to keep it as stock as possible.

Old 06-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
stock vs rod

Man alive! On the cover , the thread looks like a question of what more of us feel is a rod than show rules. A ten year old knows a 'rod' when he sees it (and hears it)

Keepin it light, methinks 'rods' contain at least three of the following that move you further from ever thinking of carrying a load of manure toward trailer queen:

1. Obvious motor work or swap > 250 HP or more. This leaves room for Hotted Y's ( ) and brand X's

2. Eyeball melting color paint jobs

3. Real upholstered interiors (Non workin variety) from vinyl to crush cranberry 'sin bin' velours and cowskins

4. IFS - ennything!

5. Drop, rake, scrape, monsta truck ride height changes of any variety.

6. Body mods- roll pans , custom bumpers, smoothin, choppin', frenching, etc.

We all know that the more of these you hit on, the more your back pocket gets whacked and the more you leave the curve of work that adds value you might recoup and get into the do-it cause-I-wanna-do-it

I like the term 'restified'- the old look mit enough upgrades (like 12V, radials, spin on filters, electronic ignitions and twice pipes) to make em easier to live with. I DRIVE it, LOAD it, and TOW with it. She's a truck for me, not a 'Hot wheels' wanna be, but that's what so great about this 48-60 tribe, its a big tent for all, and even though there's scrappin', whinin, and tauntin, we all git along

Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
stock vs rod

Hey Lobo this is what those two terms stand for.

SBC - Stupid boring Chevy

SBF - Super Brilliant Ford

Old 06-13-2003, 11:54 AM
j gibbs
Senior User
stock vs rod

Nathan,

I'm gonna tell on you. You typed the whole "C" word without any editing. Shame on you!

Old 06-13-2003, 02:06 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock vs rod

<b>Dale, as far as I know...
SBC = Small Block Che**y.
SBF = Small Block Ford.

At least that's what I've been told...

Regards,
Lobo</b>

You been told correct Lobo, the true darkside is the SBM.
I thought I was going to score a Y Block recently in an abandoned 63 F350 ramp truck.
Turns out to be a 383 Mopar; at least I got the 4spd and all the other good stuff before it got carted off to eventually return as an import. BTW, that is a BBM.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:14 PM
57trucker
Senior User
stock vs rod

i just joined this forum so i am trying to figure out the abbreviations. i have a 57 F100 that is stock to the eye. i have upgraded the running gear to make it roadable, such as, a volare frt end, 289 w/aod trannie/c4, and twice pipes. so i guess that puts me on the dark side. oh, and neat wheels.

Old 06-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock vs rod

Originally posted by 57trucker
i just joined this forum so i am trying to figure out the abbreviations. i have a 57 F100 that is stock to the eye. i have upgraded the running gear to make it roadable, such as, a volare frt end, 289 w/aod trannie/c4, and twice pipes. so i guess that puts me on the dark side. oh, and neat wheels.
57trucker, if you do figure out the abbreviations used around here, I think it's time to check for something in your water.

Old 06-13-2003, 08:09 PM
41Clay
Elder User
stock vs rod

When I think of hot rodding I think of it as adding something that does not improve fuel economy or reliability, and a "hot rod" is a vehicle that has been changed for the purpose of greater performance not reliability.

Now your disk brakes and indi-clips don't make you a "hot rod", they add weight to your vehicle that makes you go slower. Sorry guys. And our king pins, make that King Pins, should make you weep with jealousy. Strong, and proven reliability, what else do you need?

As far as a "street rod" goes, I think of it more as a vehicle that has had alot of the modern comforts added to it (ac, power windows, power steering, ect.) I do read street rodder but I don't think of all of the cars in there as "street rods".

Clayton

Old 06-14-2003, 05:30 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock vs rod

Just to "stir the Pot",
Hot Rod - Built as someting that will out preform a "stocker" by a wide margin, with parts, bought, cluged together, borrowed, stolen, or otherwise aquired, for the shear pleasure of doin' it.
Custom - Trailer Queen
Street Rod - Cookie Cutter - cause I saw this really neat one and I just have to have one for myself. (A Yuppie thing)