Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Crew Cab Project - The Long Journey

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
read your whole build. very awesome! you're doing it right!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome work thus far. I found this thread through your post in the bedliners post, and glad I did. Thanks for the post & pics there as you are swaying me more towards the Raptorliner. I have been debating between Al's & Raptor.

I'm also interested to see what you have to say about the NAP AC unit as that's one I've been thinking about as well. I think you'd have to cut a few holes in that nice firewall patch panel you made to run the hoses for the AC. Hopefully that went smoothly.
1 question thus far on the AC, and that is do you have much play in where the AC controls can go? Those controls are one thing I've never really seen pics of on the installs done by others. I'm wondering if I could tuck them up near other controls easily.

Glad to see you keep the crew & the drive to finish it through life's obstacles! I'm also feeling a little bit better about my 7 year crew build knowing I'm not the only one. Although I don't have near the valid reason for delay that you do!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great work. Jealousy meter pegging.
I must say I would sell my 2008 F350 for one of these in a split second.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheStuffz
read your whole build. very awesome! you're doing it right!
Originally Posted by turbohunter
Great work. Jealousy meter pegging.
I must say I would sell my 2008 F350 for one of these in a split second.
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Awesome work thus far. I found this thread through your post in the bedliners post, and glad I did. Thanks for the post & pics there as you are swaying me more towards the Raptorliner. I have been debating between Al's & Raptor.

I'm also interested to see what you have to say about the NAP AC unit as that's one I've been thinking about as well. I think you'd have to cut a few holes in that nice firewall patch panel you made to run the hoses for the AC. Hopefully that went smoothly.
You are correct about cutting the holes, but the way I figured I'd rather cut holes in a replaceable panel than the trucks firewall, helped with the stress level of getting it perfect. I think it turned out pretty well, although in hindsight I think I would have gone with a nice bulkhead setup instead of running hoses through grommets. I'll try to get some updated pictures of the engine compartment up this weekend if I have time

1 question thus far on the AC, and that is do you have much play in where the AC controls can go? Those controls are one thing I've never really seen pics of on the installs done by others. I'm wondering if I could tuck them up near other controls easily.
The heater controls are fairly long which should allow some flexibility. The modified cable on the original controls was a bit shorter than the other but still long enough to make it from the dash to the evaporator. I would think if you are considering mounting the controls near the originals you should have no problem.

So far I haven't been able to do much testing on the AC system, the truck is still not done and I don't have doors or windows to get a feel for how well it will cool the cab. It seems to blow hot and cold very well though. The defroster air flow is a bit low as others have observed. I think if they could block the dash vents when opening the defrost duct it would work better. Maybe I'll try to figure out later if it can be modified some how to work this way.

The only other complaint I have so far is that I am not happy with the control scheme. I'd really like to maintain the original controls functionality. I was going to try and work out a method using the original controls sliders (including the vacuum ports) to replicate original functionality but decided I need to get the truck operational first and then can play with the details.

Glad to see you keep the crew & the drive to finish it through life's obstacles! I'm also feeling a little bit better about my 7 year crew build knowing I'm not the only one. Although I don't have near the valid reason for delay that you do!
Thanks for the kind comment guys! The support I get here helps a lot with the motivation!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Painting Woes

So, since my last update regarding painting issues have had even more issues requiring me to re-strip and paint the door I was working on two more times. Was having serious issues with dry spray resulting in really crappy looking paint.

Finally swallowed my pride and gave my father-in-law a call and had him come over and help me paint the door so I could figure out what I was doing wrong.

Interestingly, he was having the same issues with dry spray as I was. I had very carefully taken apart, cleaned, and re-assembled the gun so I knew it wasn't due to clogging.

Well after both of us being stumped he noticed the lid on the paint gun had the vent hole clogged with a bit of primer. DOH

What a difference once we cleaned out the vent hole. Makes total sense in hindsight but at the time it didn't even cross my mind to check the lid. Paint is spraying nice again. I realized later that this problem has been plaguing me for quite a while. It started with the truck bed-sides which was giving me a lot of issues to being totally unworkable once I got to the doors.

So I thought I'd pass on this information to other DIY painters here that may have not realized like me that the vent hole in the lid is even there and how important a part it plays in allowing the spray gun to work properly. Unfortunately this little brain-fart cost me about three weekends of time and probably a couple hundred dollars in primer/paint/clear/stripping pads/etc.

Oh well. at least now I can paint effectively again instead of just being frustrated.

Unfortunately the weather is cooling off here quickly and I don't know if the temps will be high enough to allow me to paint for much longer this year. Down to two doors, 2 fenders, hood and tailgate then finally done with the paint.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 9thPony
You are correct about cutting the holes, but the way I figured I'd rather cut holes in a replaceable panel than the trucks firewall, helped with the stress level of getting it perfect. I think it turned out pretty well, although in hindsight I think I would have gone with a nice bulkhead setup instead of running hoses through grommets. I'll try to get some updated pictures of the engine compartment up this weekend if I have time

The heater controls are fairly long which should allow some flexibility. The modified cable on the original controls was a bit shorter than the other but still long enough to make it from the dash to the evaporator. I would think if you are considering mounting the controls near the originals you should have no problem.

So far I haven't been able to do much testing on the AC system, the truck is still not done and I don't have doors or windows to get a feel for how well it will cool the cab. It seems to blow hot and cold very well though. The defroster air flow is a bit low as others have observed. I think if they could block the dash vents when opening the defrost duct it would work better. Maybe I'll try to figure out later if it can be modified some how to work this way.

The only other complaint I have so far is that I am not happy with the control scheme. I'd really like to maintain the original controls functionality. I was going to try and work out a method using the original controls sliders (including the vacuum ports) to replicate original functionality but decided I need to get the truck operational first and then can play with the details.
Thanks for the quick replies. Good idea on the bulkhead fittings through the firewall. I think I will do that!
Pictures of what you did would be great if you can find the time as I've kind of been wondering how flexible the location of coming through the firewall is for those 2 hoses.

Also good info on the controls & location. I thought NAP used your stock controls if you had them? At least I remember that being one of their advertising points...
I'd love to see what you may come up with when you get to modifying the controls, but totally get that other things will take priority

Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Progress Continues

Well, the weather has turned cooler and therefore my painting for the year is done. Still have a couple doors, fenders, hood, and tailgate to do.

I am in somewhat of a dilemma as I actually need the truck to be useable by spring. I decided to cheat a bit and am going to assemble the these unfinished panels on the truck and get it running. When the weather is better and I have time I can tackle each one by one.

The good news is that I will be able to complete assembly and hopefully get this beast on the road soon I still have a lot to do, but hopefully will take me a month or so from this point.

With this new focus, I started some assembly this last weekend.

I installed all four doors and did a preliminary adjustment. Still need to do a bit of tweaking to get the gaps right, but pretty close so far.

I tried to install aftermarket weatherstripping for the door. What a PITA! Could not get the door to close all the way no matter how much adjustment I made. Ordered a new set from Dennis Carpenter - what a difference. I can highly recommend the Dennis Carpenter set for anyone needing door seals.

I installed my new Fey step bumper which I am very happy with. Had no issues with the installation, just need to reverse the brackets to account for the narrow frame rails.

I also installed the trailer hitch while I was at it. I went with the Curt Class IV 14082. Except for working around the rear gas tank there were no issues either.

The glass guys showed up Monday and installed the windshield an rear slider. Its starting to feel like a truck now!

Here are a few pics:

Old 11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
hickory1991
Fleet Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Looking good there 9thpony. Been slacking myself on my build. Spent the last two months of summer getting stuff done on the huntin shack. Then hunting season for a couple months. Hopefully after Turkey day, I can find some time to finish the truck up. Been spending what little time I've had getting everything lined up, especially hood adjustment. Who installed your glass and was it reasonable? That's the next thing on my list. Good luck and keep the updates coming. I'll post some updates on my build when time permits.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 AM
9thPony
Elder User
Been working on the truck quite a bit over the last couple of weekends

Continued working on the doors. Installed the glass, latches, handles, locks, weatherstripping, etc. on 3 of the doors. Fourth door the window channel came off the glass so ordered some glass setting tape and then will finish that one off.

Can't re-iterate enough how much of a difference using the Dennis Carpenter door seals helped out. My 11 year old daughter spent about two hours Saturday night helping me install the weather stripping. I applied the adhesive, set the seal, while she taped up behind me to keep it in place. Really helped having two people. A couple of the doors are still tough to close but figure once the weatherstripping starts compressing I'll be able to move the strikers in a bit.

Main progress was in getting the fenders, grill, and front bumper installed. Also aligned the tailgate better and managed to get it to latch correctly. Long term plan is to take apart my Warn winch bumper apart and get it re-chromed. Short term though I had two front bumpers and found the infamous bumper brackets still bolted to one

Got the side mirrors mounted as well. Really just need to get the hood installed, wrap up and secure all the wiring better, exhaust and wheels and should be able to take it for ride.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking good. Man I envy you guys that scored a crew.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
looks great good progress!

what brake controller did you buy?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 AM
hickory1991
Fleet Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice to see your progress. Truck is looking awesome. Just the motivation I need to get back at mine.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 9thPony
Been working on the truck quite a bit over the last couple of weekends

Continued working on the doors. Installed the glass, latches, handles, locks, weatherstripping, etc. on 3 of the doors. Fourth door the window channel came off the glass so ordered some glass setting tape and then will finish that one off.

Can't re-iterate enough how much of a difference using the Dennis Carpenter door seals helped out. My 11 year old daughter spent about two hours Saturday night helping me install the weather stripping. I applied the adhesive, set the seal, while she taped up behind me to keep it in place. Really helped having two people. A couple of the doors are still tough to close but figure once the weatherstripping starts compressing I'll be able to move the strikers in a bit.

Main progress was in getting the fenders, grill, and front bumper installed. Also aligned the tailgate better and managed to get it to latch correctly. Long term plan is to take apart my Warn winch bumper apart and get it re-chromed. Short term though I had two front bumpers and found the infamous bumper brackets still bolted to one

Got the side mirrors mounted as well. Really just need to get the hood installed, wrap up and secure all the wiring better, exhaust and wheels and should be able to take it for ride.
looking good

Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Originally Posted by hickory1991
Looking good there 9thpony. Been slacking myself on my build. Spent the last two months of summer getting stuff done on the huntin shack. Then hunting season for a couple months. Hopefully after Turkey day, I can find some time to finish the truck up. Been spending what little time I've had getting everything lined up, especially hood adjustment. Who installed your glass and was it reasonable? That's the next thing on my list. Good luck and keep the updates coming. I'll post some updates on my build when time permits.
I'm going to be working on installing the hood soon, not looking forward to it. At least this is a temporary deal so I will have time to keep tweaking it up until I paint it next year.

The glass I got from Elite Auto glass in Livermore, CA. Guy there has been doing this for a while, in fact we he came to do mine said he remembers doing glass on these trucks when they were fairly new. The price was reasonable, not too much more than it would have cost me to do myself. If I broke one while installing, would end up costing me more.

Looking forward to your updates as well.

Originally Posted by somethingclever
looks great good progress!

what brake controller did you buy?
I bought the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Was recommended by a friend who does a lot of towing, also reviewed well on the internet.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:16 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Looks great.

Quick Reply: Crew Cab Project - The Long Journey