1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 f250 Exhaust Y Tip

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
damada
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 f250 Exhaust Y Tip

Bought a 2008 F250 Super Duty and the Y tip of the exhaust is not there. Where it would be installed the exhaust pipe curves downward toward ground about the back of the rear tire. Is this a problem that should be addressed?
Thanks, Mark

Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Do you have a 6.4L Power Stroke engine?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM
damada
Freshman User
Originally Posted by redford
Do you have a 6.4L Power Stroke engine?
Yessir....sorry I failed to mention that....6.4 L....Automatic Trans.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
picture would be helpful, maybe previous owner installed a aftermarket exhaust...

Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
redford
If the previous owner deleted the DPF, then the Y-pipe is not needed.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 PM
damada
Freshman User
Originally Posted by redford
If the previous owner deleted the DPF, then the Y-pipe is not needed.
How can I tell if the DPF has been taken off? I have read some about this, and is still not clear to me about this process.
Thanks in advance.....Mark

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
#11 is the DPF...check your exhaust against this and see what all is missing

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM
damada
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
#11 is the DPF...check your exhaust against this and see what all is missing
Yes...bud, think you're right....from the front 8 bolts in the front on the DPF on here towards the rear of the truck is just straight pipe....it is apparently taken off.
So, the "cleaning exhaust filter" cycle now is just wasting fuel I guess....
Is it safe for the truck for the DPF to be taken off? I live in very rural TX and we have no emmisions checking or anything like that.
I guess where the Y tip connects to exhaust, there where it curves downward....it is OK for my exhaust to end there....it isn't loud.

Many thanks for your help man.......Mark

BTW.....what is #17? I apologize for being so dang ignorant....my first diesel....things are a little different than my trucks in the past...

Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Nope, endless regens..you need to go back to where you got the truck and they need to either put the dpf back on or tune the truck to run without the dpf.

Like it is is going to cause big problems by being in constant regen.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
damada
Freshman User
Nope, endless regens..you need to go back to where you got the truck and they need to either put the dpf back on or tune the truck to run without the dpf.

Like it is is going to cause big problems by being in constant regen.
I bought the truck 3 wks ago at a used truck lot...they got at a Ford dealer auction.
Do you think the previous owner would have had it tuned to run without DPF when he took it off?
I have noticed at least once since I bought the truck that the message center on the guage cluster screen showed "cleaning exhaust filter".

Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
previous owner took the tuner and flashed the truck back to stock before he gave it up. Likely sold the tuner.

Used truck lot needs to make it right. They sold a truck that is not incompliance with federal emissions laws. They...need to pay ford to make the truck whole again as they will not know a thing...show them the pic and this thread.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM
damada
Freshman User
previous owner took the tuner and flashed the truck back to stock before he gave it up. Likely sold the tuner.

Used truck lot needs to make it right. They sold a truck that is not incompliance with federal emissions laws. They...need to pay ford to make the truck whole again as they will not know a thing...show them the pic and this thread.
Have a feeling they won't help at all....truck was bought "as is".....can I have it checked somewhere to see what "state" it is in...."tuned" for the deletion of the DPF.....since it is off already, think I would like to leave it off....just need to find out how to get someone to check OBD port I guess....
Since the truck is out of warranty, will the Ford dealer plug into OBD and see what is happening?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
dealer will for a fee I am sure. If you are seeing the cleaning exhaust filter message then you are in stock programing for the dpf.

I think the used car dealer will do something as they sold it without it being in emissions compliance.

I suppose a dealer visit is the first step but it will cost you.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM
redford
Originally Posted by damada
Have a feeling they won't help at all....truck was bought "as is".....can I have it checked somewhere to see what "state" it is in...."tuned" for the deletion of the DPF.....since it is off already, think I would like to leave it off....just need to find out how to get someone to check OBD port I guess....
Since the truck is out of warranty, will the Ford dealer plug into OBD and see what is happening?
They have to make it right.

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/pub...dflib/114b.pdf

No person may sell, offer for sale, lease, or offer to lease in the State of Texas any motor
vehicle unless all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The motor vehicle shall be equipped with either the control systems or devices that
were originally a part of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine or an alternate control system or
device as designated in subsection (b) of this section.
(2) The control systems or devices required in paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be
in good operable condition.
(3) A notice of the prohibition and requirements of this subsection shall be displayed at
all commercial motor vehicle sales facilities, vehicle consignment lots, and other businesses in Texas
which sell, offer for sale, lease, or offer to lease more than three used vehicles per year. The notice
shall be displayed in a conspicuous and prominent location near each customer entrance way and in
each sales or lease office. The notice shall read, "State law prohibits any person from selling,
offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control
systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the TCAA of
up to $25,000 per violation." This notice shall be no smaller than 8 inches by 10 inches (20.32 cm by
25.4 cm) and shall be clearly visible to all customers.
(d) Any part or component of an air pollution control system or device of a motor vehicle or
motor vehicle engine equipped with such air pollution control system or device in compliance with
federal motor vehicle rules shall not be replaced with a different part or component unless such part or
component is designated as a replacement for the specific make and model of the vehicle or vehicle
engine.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 PM
damada
Freshman User
dealer will for a fee I am sure. If you are seeing the cleaning exhaust filter message then you are in stock programing for the dpf.

I think the used car dealer will do something as they sold it without it being in emissions compliance.

I suppose a dealer visit is the first step but it will cost you.
OK bud, thanks....I guess I could buy one of the tuners, just wouldn't have a clue where to start....looks like they cost about $400...

I'd like to say to you guys....Senix and Redford on this issue....many thanks for affording your time and knowlege to someone like me that isn't too dang mechanical....
I appreciate you more than you know.....again, thanks!!

Mark in TX

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 Exhaust Y Tip