Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Excursion Remodel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a good looking build. wish i could hear the sound quality in person. how do the kids like it so far with all the goodies?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by F150in4x4
this is a good looking build. wish i could hear the sound quality in person. how do the kids like it so far with all the goodies?
The sound is pretty dang impressive if I do say so myself! I am actually considering a few changes/upgrades and I have run into a few roadblocks.

1. Kids love DirecTV in the truck! SO DO I! If you can do it...DO IT! Buy the thing cheap on Ebay and do it JUST DO IT! You'll never miss another football game!

2. Sound is awesome, but the second row sounds a ton better than the front row. There is so much more space in the doors for resonance. The speakers love it back there. I need to upgrade the front two speakers to push the sound quality up a few notches in the front(in my opinion) rather than only adjust the fader. I am considering a set of two way or three way component speakers in the front for that purpose. Thinking about Focal/Hertz/Morel.

3. I am having major rust problems on my roof so the sat dish came down and the truck is going to my local body shop where they will strip the roof to bare metal and mediate the problem as best as possible. I want to keep my baby as long as possible (I only have 171K miles on her) so I am willing to bite the $1000+ bullet to keep her skin healthy.

4. The rust in my hood is so bad, I'm replacing it with an aftermarket hood and will have that done at the same time. I am buying a Goodmark hood (Steel with a 2" cowl effect) and it is being shipped to my body shop as we speak. It appear to look like this:

5. My front bumper also has a couple of major dents, so I'm replacing the steel section with an aftermarket steel part off of ebay...same look as factory.

6. From what it looks like: the body shop quoted me around $2000-2200 for all this stuff, but I'll feel better and she'll look better in the morning!

Pics to come!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 AM
NCTunanut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great looking and sounding X you have there. I just wanted to thank you for posting the pic of the bare interior roof. After seeing were the roof rack screws are mounted, I've changed my plans for my roof rack mounting locations. Those crossbars look like much better support for the weight I'm putting up there.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
OK I stopped by the Body Shop to take a look at the progress the other day. Here's where we are:

I'm not sure what this stage is, but the hood is looking good so far...

There are vents in the back of the rise, so this baby is functional!

Is anyone else having this problem? I think the diesel fuel ate up the glue holding the wheel well cladding on:

It makes my truck look so dumb!

I accidentally shattered my rear glass the day before I took her to the bodyshop. Safelite came in and fixed it the day after this photo was taken.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
OK, so here's the real reason she want to the Body Shop to begin with...the roof strip and repaint has begun:

I pray that this is the last bodywork I need on this truck for a long time! I am also literally praying that the hurricane swirling in the atlantic does not come and hit Daytona! I just hate leaving my baby with strangers for a week!!!!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
OK, so here's the real reason she want to the Body Shop to begin with...the roof strip and repaint has begun:

I pray that this is the last bodywork I need on this truck for a long time! I am also literally praying that the hurricane swirling in the atlantic does not come and hit Daytona! I just hate leaving my baby with strangers for a week!!!!
I had the rear wheel well cladding come off like that when my tire blew and ripped whatever holds it on on the bottom of it.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:46 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also experienced the same cladding problem. I agree with your diesel theory because all the rest of them are perfect. In my case I had my Local ford replace that section with new.

BTW your ex is looking great! Congrats!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I put a set of Hertz MLK 165 components in the front and it sounded so good I sold the rears and just run the fronts with a JL 12 w7 sub in the JL engineered box behind the 3rd seat.. The rear speakers just muddled up the sound, probably because I don't have the skill to adequately adjust them with the cavernous ex.

Seriously over engineered box that take up a lot of room. But it puts out the beats. LOL
I would like the sub in the barn door but the 12w7 would probably blow it apart.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
BTW your ex is looking great! Congrats![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
[QUOTE=pirate4x4_camo;15602937]I put a set of Hertz MLK 165 components in the front and it sounded so good I sold the rears and just run the fronts with a JL 12 w7 sub in the JL engineered box behind the 3rd seat.. The rear speakers just muddled up the sound, probably because I don't have the skill to adequately adjust them with the cavernous ex.

Seriously over engineered box that take up a lot of room. But it puts out the beats. LOL
I would like the sub in the barn door but the 12w7 would probably blow it apart.

Those W7's are amazing! I'm running a 13w6v2 and it is powerful! I wish I had the airspace for the w7!!!

I had 2 10w7's in the trunk of my Mercury Marauder and it was beautiful!!!

I would like to upgrade my fronts and have been shopping hertz and morel!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
If ever there was a vehicle that almost has enough room for a w7 its the Ex. LoL.
Damn thing takes up a 1/3 of my cargo area.

You mentioned the hertz and that is why I posted. I am sure you have heard them and aside from the price what's not to love ?

I am far from a audiophile, I just like my music load and clean. My only advise if you go with the hertz is to give them the amp and power they deserve. I had them hooked up to a run of the mill Polk audio 500x4 amp and it just didn't do it, replaced that with a Zapco 750.2 reference amp and... Ya that's what ya want. The real deal.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Oh ya,
Digging your ex build. Looks badass.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:11 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
If ever there was a vehicle that almost has enough room for a w7 its the Ex. LoL.
Damn thing takes up a 1/3 of my cargo area.
Just a mini-hijack, but here's a few pics of a 10w7 in my buddy's F150 Lightning:

Stewart

Old 08-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
That's really sweet Stewart!

I'm kinda glad I don't have my truck right now, since that blasted Hurricane is coming our way here in South Florida. I'd hate to get a new set of bodywork done and then run headlong into a tropical storm/hurricane!

JL Audio makes some fine fine equipment. I wish the head unit manufacturers would just step up and make some quality stuff. It's been so long since there was an audiophile quality head unit. They keep putting out just enough to barely satisfy people and they suck! It's crazy! Oh well...rant off! Ha!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
LoL I almost threw my pioneer out the window the other day !! the controls on it are just plain dumb... made to look sleek on a show car I suppose but almost completely useless while driving. Jitter Bug ( you know, the old people cell phone commercials ) needs to make a head unit for us sight impaired old farts.

Quick Reply: My Excursion Remodel