Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Dana 70u seal problem

Howdy all,

I have a Dana 70u in my 84 F-250.

I had to go into it to fix a locked up RR brake.

The sealing surface on the spindle where the seal rides has 2 distinct wear grooves. The wheel got hot once or twice, most likely causing the seal to fail and wear these grooves into it. Whatever the case, there are grooves on this side (RR) and none on the other. (Upon further review, turns out both sides are grooved. Funny thing is, the grooves are much deeper on the bottom side of each sindle. The left side one is less worn, that is why I didn't see the groove right off. The left groove is almost imperceptible on top but deep underneath. The right side groove measures .008" less than the diameter of the spindle where the seal rides. Spindle measures 2.875" at the seal area.)

It has been suggested to use a "speedi sleeve" to fix the seal surface area.

NAPA has a sleeve (2.873-2.879 size). I am at work now but will measure it this evening when I get home. I'm concerned about getting the correct size sleeve.

Does anyone know the measurement of this spindle seal surface? (Turns out an exact measurement is suggested prior to ordering but parts fellers were right on when they based it on the seal ID.)

Has anyone here ever had to do this?

I might be better off just going without the speedy sleeve but I hate doing work twice and I'm not sure it will seal well if I don't.

The sleeve from NAPA costs $57.

Not sure if it is an option, but one way to get around this is to position the seal slightly further out so the sealing point is moved to a fresh area of the spindle. Any thoughts on this option?

When I got into it I found that the brake cylinder was leaking, posibly leading to the initial problem of the brake not releasing, or could have been the emergency brake cable not releasing. Might have been a combination of problems so I am just rebuilding the whole thing. New emergency brake cables, wheel bearings, brake shoes, springs.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 07-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
follow up

NAPA seal is designed for a shaft size from 2.873" to 2.879", measuring mine when I got home last night I got 2.875".

Looks like their seal size is right, just not sure if this is the best path for me.

Still considering just attempting to reposition the seal. Not seating it fully will make it ride slightly off from the original wear point. I just don't know how much is enough or if it will contact the shoulder. How much space do I have for leaving it out some?

A good axle guy I know is not a fan of speedi sleeves. I'm not a fan of having to purchase an entire housing.

If I did nothing aside from a standard rebuild and not even worry about the seal, just assemble it like normal. The worst that will happen is the seal leaks and then I go back in.

Jeff

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
I would never make money as a mechanic. I am SLOW.

Now that I am in to both sides, the left side has the same wear on the spindle seal surface. Not quite as bad but obviouse. Funny thing is, on both sides, the wear groove is worse on the bottom of the spindle. I can clearly feel the wear groove on the underside and it is much less on top.

I still have not decided if doing the speedi sleeve is the proper path. Now I need two of em at $57 each.

Over on Pirate Billa Vista wrote an article on putting on a spedi sleeve on an axle spindel. He makes me lean towards spending the extra cash. I'm just not sure how far I can leave the seals out and still fucntion properly and not contact the shoulder.

Reasembly has started, my decision will be forced soon.

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
I don't think you can reposition the seal. It has to be up against something--how else would it be supported?

Sleeve it and drive on methinks.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
I don't think you can reposition the seal. It has to be up against something--how else would it be supported?

Sleeve it and drive on methinks.
Repositioning a seal is done. All I would have to do is space it out just a bit, 1/16th at the most. The seal is driven into the hub until it bottoms out. A spacer of some sort to ensure it seats square would make the seal run just slightly off the worn path.

Perhaps not the best idea though.

I don't like it, but I think I am just going to assemble as is and see what happens. Now that I know this job, if it fails, I will do again with the speedi sleeves. I am sure I will be able to tell if diff fluid starts to laek out. I will keep a close eye on things.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
The most peculiar thing about this is the way the seal surface is worn mostly on the bottom side of each spindle.

As if the bearings are off center from the spindles. Or somehow the seal area is off center.

Just odd...

Old 08-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
Work got in the way, just getting it back together today.

Payday came and I decided to spring for the speedi sleeves and new bearings.

Installation of the speedi sleeves was pretty straight forward. The installation tool is no where near deep enough to be of any use. Billa Vista in his article cut a hole in it but I just found that a 2.5" copper pipe was the perfect fit and as long as I needed it to be.

I used some red loc tite as a little extra measure of security, not sure if that is really necessary but I did it.

Then drove them on with my fancy improvised tool.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used speedi sleeves for decades, I have no hesitations about them.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Jeff Fisher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rovernut
I've used speedi sleeves for decades, I have no hesitations about them.
This was my first go with them and I was hesitant but like most things, the fear of the unknown is the worst part.