4R75E quit on me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Jasonflareside
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R75E quit on me!!!!

My trans started acting up a couple weeks ago. It started up when I was in stop and go traffic it would slip in first gear. When I stopped and then I stepped on the gas it would rev up and then slam into gear. I couldnt figure it out. It started to do it all the time a couple days later. No trans codes were set during this whole time. I took it to my brothers dealer and put the scanner on it. It finally flashed a code then. It said something about 1st gear ratio out of spec. Not really sure.They said it looked like the trans was about to crater itself. I took it out of the truck and pulled it apart last weekend. The fluid was a really dark purple almost. I found that the planetary gear support and reverse sun gear were grinding into each other. The rivets on the reverse sun gear were almost wore totally off. I have no idea why this happened. Has anyone had this happen to them? What do I have to do to fix this? Any suggestions will help. I got the whole transmission torn apart right now.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I have seen the thrust bearings fail in that area, that would cause things to start crashing into each other.

Cleaning up that kind of failure is a lot of work, your going to need a entire gear train and I am sure there is damage to other unrelated items due to metal contamination and age. Valve body will need a lot of attention along with replacing the electronics, converter, cleaning or replacing the cooler.

I would look for a exchange unit with a warranty and get back on the road.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
No1Jackson
New User
Cool Same here!!!

A 2012 E-350 with only 15K on it. What the HELL ford!
You left me and my family stranded on our vacation on a very dangerous piece of highway. I bought this because it was advertised as "SUPER DUTY", if you had been upfront and told me that you were putting car transmissions in your heavy duty trucks I likely would have chosen another manufacturer.

It should be covered under warrenty, we'll see about that.
I will report back when I get more info from the dealer machanic as to the cause and if it's a known issue ect.

As you can imagine I am NOT happy about this whole situation.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by No1Jackson
...You left me and my family stranded on our vacation on a very dangerous piece of highway...
Hi No1Jackson,

What's the status of your truck? If you still need assistance, I want to do what I can to help. Reach out to me with your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) so I can get to work.

Thanks!

Crystal

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM
No1Jackson
New User
The Good and Bad

First and most importantly this is NOT a screed against Ford in general.

So the dealer fixed the trans under warranty -No charges- which was good.

But the towing charges were $300 I guess that's on me which is bad.

But here's the real take away from all this, the 2012 e-350 as I purchased it is not up to the task of pulling the heavy loads that I need it to (5.4 w/ 4r75e)

If you need a van for pulling heavy loads you'll need to look at the trans and find a truck with the 4r100, which is in my mind what they should have used in ALL so called superduty's. (that's my real disapointment here, but I should have checked)

It may be available in the v10 version, I'm not sure about that. Otherwise you'll need to turn to the after market which can fix you up with a conversion to the 4r100 for about $3-4K

On a sad note I'll be looking to trade this van in on a new truck, after this experience I'm leaning towards a Tundra right now.

On the bright side this E-350 was an excellent rig for me and towed a trailer like a champ, really an outstanding truck for the money...minus the trans issue of course.