1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Frame mounted brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame mounted brake booster

Can I mount my frame mounted booster and cylinder to the firewall with this bracket or do I need a different bracket? My cab is at body shop right now...

Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would be the reason? Also what would you do about the brake pedal arm? Most people want it hidden.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Not only would you not use that bracket, but you would want to replace the booster as well. That booster is designed to be small in diameter to fit within the height of the frame rail...a firewall-mounted booster is usually much larger in diameter but shorter in depth so that it does not extend out into the engine compartment so far. If you are really interested in improving your braking system then look into a hydroboost and get rid of the vacuum system entirely.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Because my tranny crossmember setup interferes with my brake booster barely. The bracket still fits but the booster rubs.

Hydroboost would cost another $400-$$500 correct? Trying to keep cost down and use what I have.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
The bolt is preventing me from attaching booster...

Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
It looks to me like you are suffering from a self-inflicted wound. How did you end up with all that tubing? There are many other ways to add a crossmember that do not involve so much metal...here is one that I fabricated for my truck:

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Jrock, When installing a booster/mc on the firewall, The mounting bracket/firewall stiffener goes on the inside of the firewall and is usually part of the hanging pedal bracket.
Here I am building the pedal MC bracket for my hanging pedals. The bracket is sitting upside down, the portion on the top of the picture pointed up goes against the firewall, the MC bolts to the area with the 4 holes. The similar portion on the right mounts the clutch MC. Note the bracket extension between my arms that bolts to the bottom edge of the dash to stiffen the whole thing, you don't want any flexing of the firewall when you press the brake pedal.

You can use the booster you have. Yes the dual diaphragm booster does extend further from the firewall but it is much smaller in diameter compared to an 11" diameter single diaphragm. here is a pic of my dual diaphragm booster mounted to the firewall. Note the black piece is the clutch MC, a single diaphragm booster would have interfered with the clutch MC.

NOTE: I don't know what is the problem, but I can't add the second picture. It is the last picture in my "making changes" gallery. Don't click the link here, it just hangs and i can't delete the link.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
More support and the tranny dog bone was my interest. It allows me to drop the tranny right out of the bottom of the truck. Could I use my master cylinder and get a used hydroboost somewhere cheap?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Axracer, I only see one picture...

Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Here's the tranny dog bone...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Do you have enough room on that "dog bone" to flip the mount around so that the buttress for the tranny points back instead of forward. That would get the mounting bolts out of the way. Your other option would be to weld the top half of that clamp and eliminate the bolt? Just a couple thoughts....

Old 07-14-2013, 01:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
IMHO Jrock you are way overengineering your chassis. Charlie's tranny CM can be unbolted and the tranny dropped out the bottom as well and is far simpler. The tranny crossmember does not support a lot of weight, most of the weight is supported by the motor mounts, there is no more than 50 - 100# on the tranny mount.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Well I'm not CharlieLed Everyone's build is different is what I keep hearing On this website. Looks like hydroboost it is!!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find the hydroboost systems I believe in 80's ford trucks. If I recall correctly.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
Well I'm not CharlieLed Everyone's build is different is what I keep hearing On this website. Looks like hydroboost it is!!
Well if I went as far as you have with that, I wouldn't let one single bolt make me totally re-engineer my brake system. Heck, if nothing else, I'd remove that bolt and/or sleeve if needed and put a plumbing clamp on it if nothing else.

Quick Reply: Frame mounted brake booster