Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 AM
jtackett
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust question...

Finally...I'm back! I changed my email address and never saw the email to authenticate. That took a while... I just got my AirRaid (not installed yet) and I was looking at putting on an Aero AT3030XT muffler. Any and all comments welcome! Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 AM
jtackett
Cross-Country
Wow...nobody has an opinion on the muffler? Nobody has any experience with it? Nobody even has an comment? Hmmm.... Maybe nobody has installed one. Bummer.....

Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never had an aero muffler on a v10, regardless im sure it sounds like a turbine. youtube has some sound clips of them

Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,304 Posts
It's been asked many times on many brands of exhaust, the V10 won't give that deep throaty sound many are after.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM
jtackett
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by scraprat
It's been asked many times on many brands of exhaust, the V10 won't give that deep throaty sound many are after.
A better sound would be a plus, but the main thing I am looking for is a little more free flowing. What has everyone else tried? Not doing Flowmaster, too many people complain about them rusting out too quickly. My brother included...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 AM
smgcrawford
Junior User
I see in your post you have bought an Air Raid CAI. I have one on my '09 250 Super Duty 6.8L and I 'm not very happy with it. I hope the one you have is a closed box system, mine is an open box and it allows rain access to the filter area. I believe this to be a cause of some of the CEL I have been having with this truck. I wish you luck and no issues. I'm thinking about going OEM on the air box, I hope this is my issue, its cheaper than replacing all O2 sensors.. I have a stock exhaust system and don't plan on changing a thing, I hear these changes are very minimal on performance and the only thing that wakes up these engines is gearing and/or a 5 Star tune. Good luck on your truck..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
jtackett
Cross-Country
Very interesting. I wonder how many others stick with the factory exhaust? I have the 5Star tune and after I get my camper, I may do some gear changing. That makes me wonder on your statements about the Air Raid. It is NOT a closed box, but I think it would be easy enough to come up with a way to do it. Have any others had issues with Air Raid?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM
mudfuel06
Elder User
I have one and have never had a problem. But, my truck doesn't get driven that often and it doesn't rain up here like it does down south.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
Doing a muffler delete all-together will give the v10 a much more deep growl, because of how much less restriction there is.. Personally I have never seen an Aero muffler, the only ones I have seen are Flowmaster and Banks.. To me, the muffler delete or a cat back 4in will sound the best without being too loud while towing or under a load or working the truck. I also haven't heard great things about the AirRaid open box designs as far as intakes go.

-Jared

Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the Airaid and Magnaflow exhaust with a resinator delete, made a big difference in the sound, a slight difference in mileage and WOT, but Mike's 5-Star had the biggest effect in every department. With the Airaid, you should also clean your Map-sensor every couple of months but I think more air is good air.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
I've got 5Star, AIRAID, and a Magnaflow. Next will be 4.88's
I like the sound of my exhaust, no issues.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM
jtackett
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by pappy19
I did the Airaid and Magnaflow exhaust with a resinator delete, made a big difference in the sound, a slight difference in mileage and WOT, but Mike's 5-Star had the biggest effect in every department. With the Airaid, you should also clean your Map-sensor every couple of months but I think more air is good air.
Did you do the whole Magnaflow or just the muffler exchange? Cleaning the MAP does make sense. I have hear that the element oil has been know to cause problems, but I think regular cleaning and the correct amount of oil should take care of that.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
jtackett
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 76Hauler
I've got 5Star, AIRAID, and a Magnaflow. Next will be 4.88's
I like the sound of my exhaust, no issues.
What all did you do on the exhaust? CAT back or the whole nine yards?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
3" catback, tucked up and trimmed short to try to "hide" the exhaust exiting. I can put up some pic's later. i'll try to find the part # also

Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jakgod3
Doing a muffler delete all-together will give the v10 a much more deep growl, because of how much less restriction there is.. Personally I have never seen an Aero muffler, the only ones I have seen are Flowmaster and Banks.. To me, the muffler delete or a cat back 4in will sound the best without being too loud while towing or under a load or working the truck. I also haven't heard great things about the AirRaid open box designs as far as intakes go.

-Jared
I tried the muffler delete on my 06 v10 f350, it sounded way better than I thought a v10 could sound but was very loud. Now it has a magniflow super turbo on it and has more of a very deep humming sound.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question...