Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me '94 Crew Cab 4x4! Progess thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 PM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me '94 Crew Cab 4x4! Progess thread

I'll start this thread off with some pics of it how I bought it with not one thing changed. If you want to read the description on it its below along with a short story.
Front(yes the bumper is sagging, no its not been wrecked, and yes both bottom turning signals are busted but they work fine):

Side shots:

Interior:

Dash:

I thought the air control panel was different, never seen it before?

We got the back 2 tires from my 77 on and man the wheels alone make it look SO much better.

Description:
Found it on craigslist for 2,000 and drove off after paying 1,400! Its got no major damage and no rust anywhere, but a few dings on the back doors and the passenger side wheel well. All the gauges work; it has great oil pressure, doesn't run hot at all, speedometer is shaky between 35 and 60(it drops and moves up FAST til it hits 60), 181k on the odometer but the motor has unknown miles and the e4od was rebuilt/built recently with tougher internals. Its COVERED in old vegetable oil grease which will be a bitch to get off lol. I started putting the wheels from my old 77 on it but I noticed the rear studs are about 1.5" long and 9/16 not 7/16 so I had to use lugnuts from a 14 bolt dually axle I got laying around. Fronts aren't on yet but they will be Monday when the local tire store gets more lugnuts in. Tomorrow im going to buy a set of 40x17x16.5 groundhawgs on wheels that are... old... for the wheels to use the 35" BFGs i have on super duty wheels,(for sale plant city FL area BTW), and probably save the groundhawgs for later, or sell them. Its missing all 4 door panels, the rear seat, and it has no A/C , I thought A/C was a STANDARD option in 94, but at least it has the heater, which isn't hooked up, for when it hits maybe 30F in 'winter' here haha. the passengers front door doesn't open from the inside, idk about the back doors, but all 4 windows roll down, but the drivers rear has stripped splines. Drivers door is also from a different F350 so it lines up wrong and leaks. I don't know the gear ratio but I really want to know so I can see if it will do with larger tires and still be able to tow.

Story:
Drove it home through the worst rain I've EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. What was a 45 minute peaceful drive became a 90 minute nerve racking drive that stressed me the eff out. It was raining so bad at one point i had to pull off the road and proceeded to spin out in 2wd, so I popped it in 4 and man them front automatic hubs work great. Right before that, I learned why you don't drive with BALD tires in the rain with an empty bed. I literally got sideways on I-4 going 55 with my dad behind me right in front of my moms work( talk about a more weird spot lol) and then I drove 45 til it was drive pavement again and then I went 65~70 all the way home.

I'm going to use this thread to keep track of progress or anything like that, and there is loads of things that can be done( and photographed).

Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
looks like a nice truck!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 PM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
Thanks man I hope it really is a good truck and not one of those goodonlyonthedayyouboughtit trucks.

Random but anyone know if 35x12.50x16.5s will fit stock with no rubbing? And how much lift do I need to fit, say 40x17s? I'm guessing 6-7"s

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
youll need a little lift for 35 in tires

Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 PM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
My brothers f150 fits them and only if his doesn't turn, and this thing sits about 3-4" higher so I don't really see how it'll hit unless its on the leaf spring? I guess we'll see. No way in hell I'm driving on the road with the old tires on it after that ride home lol.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
if its stock height there aint no way in hell, I can clear 33's and the rub at full lock but 35 is too tall for stock height

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
In order to clear 35s you need to trim the bumper

That is VERY stripped out XL. NO tach, NO A/C. But at least is it a 4wd 1 ton. Too bad it doesnt have a 5 speed

Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 AM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
If(more of when) I do a ps swap I'm really contemplating doing a manual, but boosted launches are so much fun lol. The only real options I can think of on the truck is the vinyl seat and floor(or was that standard)? Automatic hubs, auto tranny, and 4x4. I honestly don't like power windows/door locks because they're too expensive to fix when they break compared to a manual window/lock.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
That is VERY stripped out XL. NO tach, NO A/C. But at least is it a 4wd 1 ton.
Yeah, they didn't even put in door panels...

Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
Well the story behind the truck was it was an old work truck, that's why it's so rough. The guy I bought it from was very level headed and he had a business picking up vegetable oil with his brother. The truck was used by employees and they took the back seat out so no body else would sit in the truck and the door panels because they were broke or something like that. Has no radio or speakers for the same reason. He said the employees were so bad to it they also broke the shifter so it wouldn't go into park, and one day when filling it up with gas they didn't put the parking brake on and caused it to roll back and te drivers door caught on a pole, so they replaced it. Not longer after the tranny went ao he had it rebuilt with "heavy duty" parts and he said it has about a year warranty left on it.The bumper was from when they(the employees) blew the (old) motor, so they had it towed onto a tow truck and the wrecker guy tied the winch cable to the bumper, so that's why it's bent. I want a custom bumper so that's no issue really.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
Little update-

Yesterday I bought a set of 40x17x16.5 ground hawgs on a set of wagon wheels for 200$ so I had the wheels to use with the 35s I have, which are mounted on super duty wheels. the wagon wheels need to be cleaned up bad, sand blasted and rubbed to get all oils off and then were going to powder coat them jet black probably. The ground hawgs all hold air and have a pretty good amount of tread left, but they have dry rot and one of them is missing a lot of tread/showing steel belts.
I fit them in the 'bed' of the explorer lol

How one of the tires looks next to the truck on stock sized tires:

So i got the super cab split bench out of my 77 (regular cab) and we tossed it in the back of the crew. Its bolted down in the back, but offset about 1/2 and inch to the right, and the front bolt holes don't line up but we'll drill our own. I'm probably going to buy realtree seat covers for the front and rear and get matching fabric and wrap the dash and parts of the door panels with it to get a white/blue/camo theme going.

And my temporary rear door handle fix. The 77 door handles bolted right on with the 77 screws and the window cranks are using the 77s screws even, I love it when little things like that inter change! Also using 77's bolts to hold seat in lol

More updates tomorrow.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
What are you going to do with the oversized, bald, and dry rotted tires on the wrong rims?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
What are you going to do with the oversized, bald, and dry rotted tires on the wrong rims?
Sarcastic or not, this made me laugh!

I'll agree with Brad though, what on earth is the plans for them?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 AM
parkerparkerm
Elder User
There not bald... There's more tread left on them then the pictures show. I'm just gonna sell them to somebody as offroad only-use tires and get my money back. Next time I go tote mud hole ill slap a for sale sign on them LOL.
And what do you mean " wrong rims"?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
SuperDuty rims do Not fit an OBS

Quick Reply: New to me '94 Crew Cab 4x4! Progess thread