Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

My new Michelins are turning brown & Michelin knows it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM
ztruck
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question My new Michelins are turning brown & Michelin knows it.

2 months ago I purchased 6 new michelin tires (ltx ms2 lt235/85r16)for my truck.

Immediately I noticed the frt rt tire was a dusty chocolate brown color. As the other 5 were ok I assumed it was discolored from shipping/storage etc. Days later I tried to wash the brown off only to discover the rubber was actually brown or permanently stained brown. Thankfully the tire store where I purchased swapped out the tire and I was good to go.

Now- I have just noticed the same brown discoloration appearing on the edges of the frt left tire which was perfect showroom black on the date of purchase.

I am extremely concerned. Before I contact the vendor/store I was wondering if anyone has heard of this issue?

Even more concerning is what I found under FAQ's on the Michelin website:

"Question: What can cause the sidewall of my tires to start turning a brownish color?

Answer:The brownish color on the sidewall of your tires is not a defect. The source of this discoloration can be varied. One possibility is that the tires contain an anti-ozone agent in their rubber compounds to slow down the ill effects of exposure to ozone in the air. This anti-ozone ingredient will migrate to the surface of the rubber and leave the appearance of a brownish dust. This is completely normal and technically is no cause for concern. In time, depending on usage, it will disappear. Other possibilities for discoloration can be simply dust that is picked up from normal driving or brake dust which is generated by the abrasion of the brake pads against the brake rotor. This latter condition is more prevalent when the brakes are new or have recently been relined. In all cases, we recommend that you continue to clean your tires with a mild soap and water."

I paid over $1400.00 I do not want brown tires. I can assure anyone reading this that the brown will not come off with "soap and water" as suggested by Michelin.

Furthermore- the chain tire store that sold them to me and swapped out the first brown tire KNEW of the problem and confirmed the brown can not be scrubbed off.

I am on a fixed income. I can not afford to wait and see what's wrong with these tires. I have always had Michelins tires and never had a problem. Is it time to switch to another brand?

I am very concerned and even more concerned now when I read the above Michelein response to consumers that buy brown tires from them.

Thank you to anyone that can respond and/or has heard of this and has sought or heard of a acceptable resolution

-Ztruck

Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ztruck

Even more concerning is what I found under FAQ's on the Michelin website:

"Question: What can cause the sidewall of my tires to start turning a brownish color?

Answer:The brownish color on the sidewall of your tires is not a defect. The source of this discoloration can be varied. One possibility is that the tires contain an anti-ozone agent in their rubber compounds to slow down the ill effects of exposure to ozone in the air. This anti-ozone ingredient will migrate to the surface of the rubber and leave the appearance of a brownish dust. This is completely normal and technically is no cause for concern. In time, depending on usage, it will disappear. Other possibilities for discoloration can be simply dust that is picked up from normal driving or brake dust which is generated by the abrasion of the brake pads against the brake rotor. This latter condition is more prevalent when the brakes are new or have recently been relined. In all cases, we recommend that you continue to clean your tires with a mild soap and water."

I paid over $1400.00 I do not want brown tires. I can assure anyone reading this that the brown will not come off with "soap and water" as suggested by Michelin.

-Ztruck
I'm no chemist, not even a "rocket" scientist, but the part about the anti=ozone thing raises a flag in my mind. Why would you have an ingredient like that inside the tire compound and not on the outside?
I haven't had Michelins in years, I went back to good olde Goodyears a long time ago.
I'd hate to think a company like them would try to BS an owner, but stranger things have happened.