1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Making a rollpan

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Cen-cal56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work! Looks really good!!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tailgate gives a three dimensional element which is carried visually down to the roll pan. It's a "muscular" look for lack of a better word. So in front, the same styling should apply. Your skills are awesome so, how about pancaking the hood. Then since you're welding the fenders to the bed, why not the same in front. The lower fender to top fender seam. That would continue the roll pan element. As far as the "monkey face" grill, I would suggest keeping the horizontal bars but maybe make them "float". I'm still working that part in my head. Maybe a stainless mess behind them? I think if you get rid of the horizontal bars, you will loose the original look completely which would detract from the finished product. Just my 2cts. Good luck with it, looks good.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Zoot, I think you're right about the grill staying. Yes I am planning on welding the lowers and uppers. I'm not really a big fan of pancaking hoods but the ones I've seen we're pretty extreme also. I'm sure some ideas will keep floating around in my head. I've got lots of empty room for them to float.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You make that roll pan look easy! Great job!

I don't think a 51-52 hood will be compatible with the 48 - 50 latch. You can undoubtedly make something that will work, but they are quite different. The 51-52 latch is in the center section of the grille with a post in the hood. The 48-50 is opposite.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You make that roll pan look easy! Great job!

I don't think a 51-52 hood will be compatible with the 48 - 50 latch. You can undoubtedly make something that will work, but they are quite different. The 51-52 latch is in the center section of the grille with a post in the hood. The 48-50 is opposite.
Thank you for the compliment. I won't be using the stock latch since I'm attempting to do a reverse tilt hood though. You notice I said attempt, right.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Good to see some innovative thinking rather than a shop full of high dollar tools. Nice job.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Didn't get to work on my truck last weekend. I was busy picking and freezing corn from our garden. Not going to get a lot accomplished this weekend either. Tomorrow I'm going to an all day car show so today I at least got this finished.

Finished welding the rollpan. Never did like the way the rear fenders curve up on these trucks so I'm planning on adding a piece to transition from fender to rollpan.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 AM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take one please,only I need it for a '55. Plus maybe add some holes or slots for tail lights, how much shipped. Man than looks great,keep up the good work. L8R ZFLASH

Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 AM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks zflash, all the tweaking you would have to do with my fab you could just fab it yourself. This is truly a learn-as-you-go process for me.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Tobys50
New User
Thumbs up

Looks great! I also appreciate the "making do with what you have" in the garage. Can't wait to see how this beauty turns out!

-Toby

Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thanks Toby. I was able to transition one fender into the rollpan. I cut away some metal and bent the wire edge to change the curve of the fender.

The curve blended well into the side of the rollpan but the bottom of the rollpan was still lower than the fender.

Here's the patch in place.

I would have to add and blend another piece to eliminate the stepped transition from the bottom of the rollpan to the fender.

Here you can compare both sides.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Nice work, you answered the question I was going to ask about the fender to roll pan transition. You certainly are doing some serious metal work, I love it, I have always been a fan of custom cars, lowered, roll pans front and rear and all sorts of interesting body mods.

I wonder have you considered making the bottom of the fender, a straight line in line with the bottom of the rollpan? This would give a straight line across the rollpan, continuing into the straight line of the lower edge of the fenders and curving up at each side into the outer edge of the fender line, if I have explained that clearly.

This would give a smooth line flowing down the outer fender line, curving into the lower fender/rollpan line and continuing across the other lower fender line and curving up to the outer edge of the other fender.

Just a thought
Cheers

Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Thank you for the kind words. I don't know if you can tell from this photo but the lowest part of the rollpan is not back as far as the back of the fender so it can't be a straight line that way. As far as the bottom edge of the fender being at the same height would require removing metal from the back of the fender around to the wheel opening. I don't know if it would flow right with the front of the fender or not. I guess I'll try it in Photoshop and see how it looks. Thanks I'm always open to suggestions.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Aus56, by the way I looked at your pics. Nice truck!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello Greg, good to see your response. Yes the fender is forward of the pan somewhat, I just thought it might be visually neat from the back of the truck, it would be interesting to see it in photoshop. Guess I should learn to do photoshop myself, it would be interesting to see how ideas looked sometimes.

Good luck with it all. I am a long time dreamer, never been able to do, so it is a pleasure to see someone go for it with their ideas.

Oh I just saw your kind words about my truck, thank you. I wish I could take credit for it, but I bought it that way. My only contribution to it is the money I have paid my mechanic, the suspension shop and to the transmission shop, to fix the mechanical side of it that was somewhat more run down than I realised and the recent change to Ford 8.8 rear end. Now it drives nice, reliable and getting better all the time.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Making a rollpan