Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
New User

Matt Black is starting off with a positive reputation.
TheDudeRefined TheDudeRefined
53-55 f100 - eliminating window vents?

I would like to eliminate my door window vents and just have one piece of glass that can roll up and down in the door. My roof is chopped 3' in the back and about 4" in the front, and I think it would look better with the window this way. I've seen pictures of trucks with this done, but when looking at my door it seems like the window would hit the door hinges. Have any of you done this mod before? Any help would be great.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Note that the window channel with vent is curved, not straight. Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts sells a one piece curved glass replacement kit, but don't know if the glass will work with your chopped top. Other alternative is to straighten the door channel for flat glass (Mid Fifty also sells a kit for this, but it requires some significant body work to the doors. The hinge area inside the door does require some modification as well and is detailed in the kit instructions.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
Note that the window channel with vent is curved, not straight. Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts sells a one piece curved glass replacement kit, but don't know if the glass will work with your chopped top. Other alternative is to straighten the door channel for flat glass (Mid Fifty also sells a kit for this, but it requires some significant body work to the doors. The hinge area inside the door does require some modification as well and is detailed in the kit instructions.
you can see the MF one piece kit install in my gallery.

the glass is cured both ways, and probably couldn't be cut.

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I've got the same issue that you have. I've received a couple examples from other builders on the window issue. You might try looking at this link to see what this guy did. I think the window info starts around thread #40. Maybe it will give you something to consider.

Chopped 55 f100 - The Garage Journal Board

I'll have to look to find the other example.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper......the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 AM
New User

Matt Black is starting off with a positive reputation.
TheDudeRefined TheDudeRefined
Thanks guys! I can't seem to find the kits you mentioned on midfifty.com. Does someone have the link? The kit install looks pretty straight forward thanks to sdetweil.

The other option that I'm considering is to make the vent window a fixed window. I just hate the rubber seal under that pivot and I'm really trying to clean up the look of the door. This route my window glass stays the same even with the chop, and the mods to perma-mount the vent window would be less extensive.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black View Post
Thanks guys! I can't seem to find the kits you mentioned on midfifty.com. Does someone have the link? The kit install looks pretty straight forward thanks to sdetweil.

The other option that I'm considering is to make the vent window a fixed window. I just hate the rubber seal under that pivot and I'm really trying to clean up the look of the door. This route my window glass stays the same even with the chop, and the mods to perma-mount the vent window would be less extensive.
the one piece kits from the 53-55 slantcabs are on page 98 of the pdf catalog. their online pdf is at http://midfifty.com/images/2012_Midfifty_Catalog.pdf

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks