Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

My new shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My new shop

I having a 30x40 post frame shop built. Its gonna be my wood working shop. I have all my shop tools stored now. I can't wait to set up my tools.
My tool list
1 Powermatic 66
2 Craftman scroll saw
3 Old craftsman lathe
4. Jet 16x32 drum sander
5 Craftsman router table
6 Hobart stick welder 1948 model
7 Quincy 5 hp 2 stage compressor.
8 a 6x12 cargo trailer full of carpenter tools.
9 15 nailguns of all types
10 3 12 inch miter saws Dewalt slide miter,Dewalt compound miter & Makita 12 inch
This shop will have heat & air. I will have 6 inch walls . It has a 10 ft ceiling. I will use 1/2 inch plywoodon the walls & 3/8 plywood on the ceilings. I would use sheetrock but it will get messed up . Plus I can mount shelving on the plywood easy. I have a bunch of K/V shelving brackets to use.
My wish list
Delta 2 stage dust collector
Bandsaw with tilting base
Drill press
Radial arm saw
15 inch planer
Panel saw
Dryer system for my air compresser
I can't wait. I have wanted a good shop for years. Once its got the air installed ,we will live in it while we build our house. It will have a full bathroom in it. I will post pics as I build the shop & house.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you must have an understanding wife to build the shop first! cool beans though, thats how big my grandparents shop is, and it works really good.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I am building my cabinets interior door units & other stuff for the house. I have windows & other building materials for my house. I bought $11,700 worth of Simonton triple pane double hung windows for $3300.I have counter tops, exterior doors, whirlpool tube & 800board ft of clear cherry I got for $3.00 a board ft. I buy anything I can off craigslist & other places. I saved $20,000 in materials when I remodeled my last home this way. I have many light fixtures & plumbing fittings.My wife wants the shop too. It will keep me out of her hair.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
there is something to be said about handcrafted cabinets, and some killer craigslist deals. I would love to see some pictures along the way.

sure wish that I had those kinds of woodworking skills, whenever i touch a peice of wood to make something I lose 30 iq points and gain the dexterity of a fish.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I am a finish carpenter. I installed trim, doors molding,stairways & cabinetry in new homes & remodels. I've done 80 plus homes over 12,000 ft. I ran my own subcontracting business for 30 years. I plan to build cherry cabinets in my house. They will have raised panel doors. I have hidden hinges for the doors that are soft closing. I have under mount drawer guides. I paid $2.50 each for the hinges. They retail for about $10.00. The under mount guides are $32.00 retail. I paid $7.00. I will have roll out drawers under the base cabinet instead of shelves. All my drawers will have dovetail joinery. My cabinet boxes will use dado joints & the face frames will use pocket screw fastening. No nails showing on the exterior of my cabinets. I will post pics as we build. I expect it to take 8 to 10 months to build my home. I plan to sub out the labor needed to get it in the dry & sheet rocked I will do everything else. I will run the subs & handle all supply issues. This is my last house. Its not going to be real big but its gonna have all the features I want in a home.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I'd love to see some photos of your work in progress!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
30X40 is a nice size building, I've put up a number of polebarns, most of them that size. I got stupid with my own though, I only went 28X32. Now, it's filled with all my tools, electrical supplies, an ATV, welder, a tractor, and all kinds of crap in the loft. And everything is pretty much helter skelter. Soon, I might be able to get it usable. I just did a bit of work on my Ranger, and really was jammed in.
I should have gone at least the size of yours. I'd kill to have a shop like that! Who knows what I was thinking.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I should get the dirt work done this week. The shop will start soon after its done. I wish I could afford a 30x50 but a 30x40 will have to do. I will add a 16 ft wide lean to down one side later to store my toys. Right now my budget will build my house & this shop without borrowing any money. It's gonna take me doing as much of the work as possible but it will be worth the effort.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I did the same as you're doing. It'll feel very nice not owing anything other than tribute, er, property taxes. And like yourself, I'm needing an addition as well for my other tractor and implements. It will be a lean to type as well, with pole construction. The barn/garage that exists is frame construction, but sticking a pole type structure to it will be no big deal, just need to get the time, and a reliable helper for a day or two.
Don't forget photos, I'm guilty of that!!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I will take pics as soon as the job starts. I want a photo record of this build

Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on getting your project underway. Look forward to seeing some pics of the progress.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribing and good luck Howard.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I envy you. I would love to have a shop like that. I am interested in following your progress.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I have planned this shop for years. I know where each tool will set. My first build will be my 6x8 assembly table. It will have storage under it on 3 sides & a clamp rack on the fourth side. I plan to repair furniture & build antique reproductions in my shop. The lean two on the side will be my paint room. It will have a downdraft exhaust system & be climate controlled.

Ed? I bought 12 Simonton window units for my house off Craigslist. They retailed for $11,700. I paid $3300. I really like these windows. The frames are 3.25 thick & they are triple pane, double hung units. They are rated at the top energy levels in your area. They should work good down here. I also bought under mount drawer guides for $7 a pair. I bought soft close hinges for $5 a pair. I got lucky. I hate side mount guides. I was going to use them until I found a cabinet shop closing. Blum hardware at cheap guide prices. I'm building the house that Craigslist supplied the material

Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lariat97
I have planned this shop for years. I know where each tool will set. My first build will be my 6x8 assembly table. It will have storage under it on 3 sides & a clamp rack on the fourth side. I plan to repair furniture & build antique reproductions in my shop. The lean two on the side will be my paint room. It will have a downdraft exhaust system & be climate controlled.

Ed? I bought 12 Simonton window units for my house off Craigslist. They retailed for $11,700. I paid $3300. I really like these windows. The frames are 3.25 thick & they are triple pane, double hung units. They are rated at the top energy levels in your area. They should work good down here. I also bought under mount drawer guides for $7 a pair. I bought soft close hinges for $5 a pair. I got lucky. I hate side mount guides. I was going to use them until I found a cabinet shop closing. Blum hardware at cheap guide prices. I'm building the house that Craigslist supplied the material
I'm almost as excited as you are. Just answered your PM.
I too have mastered getting cool, good quality stuff on Craigslist. Gotta keep your eyes open for the best deals. I draw the line at some builders who have been parting out spec houses clearly in foreclosure. I usually explain to them that attachments are part of the real estate and they can be charged with theft/fraud if they sell off the goods. Usually the ad comes down.
Recently picked up an Arroyo Craftsman 36" 5 light chandelier, copper with mica glass that retails for 3500.00 plus 3 matching 12" surface mt fixtures that retail for 540.00 each plus an original but rewired 3 arm 20s brass and green glass fixture for 600.00 for everything. I just got 400.00 for one of the surface mounts installed at a rehab here in North Riverside.
Remember you can never have too much power or air. I still havent gotten around to piping air throughout the shop but its on my must have list. Filter/dryer/seperators at the primary outlets are a great idea particularly if youre going to be spraying finishes.
My email address is LMSResidential@aol.com if you need quicker responses if something else comes up.

Quick Reply: My new shop