Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
New User

HarleyG8r is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem, and was getting the same code on my '03 Expy 4.6. Cleaned the MAF, etc, etc. Finally, Ifound that the rubber elbow on the rear of the throttle body (right above where it goes into the intake) was kinked and had a hole in it. It's a minor pain to get to, but slides right off when you play with it. I replaced the elbow with a 4 or 5" length of 5/8" marine fuel hose. It's thicker, can bend without kinking, and fits perfectly. Cleared the codes, and now the truck runs fine.

Last edited by HarleyG8r; 10-10-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 PM
New User

MRGADGET is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFord
I just checked and found a hole on the elbow there. You are a genius!

If I am on the right track, this PCV line has an elbow at the engine rear end side. The line side is about 0.5" diameter and the engine side is about 0.75". This elbow is a rubber part and I found carbon debris right at the turning point where it broke. I first found a little hole there and when I tried to pull it out, it broke almost completely. I found the engine can't even idle without this connection.

What did you do to fix it? If you bought a new piece from Ford, do they have a new design for this part? Apparently it's another faulty design from Ford and I just wonder if they have a new design which they will call "heavy duty" part as usual. Do you have a part number?

By looking at the broken part and its location, I really think it should be made of metal. The temperature there is very high because it's too close to the firewall and all hot air goes there and stops there.

I will try to buy one from Ford dealer tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!
I'm having the same problem and I am sure glad I found this site.How dose the PVC Elbow attach to the rear of the manifold.
I see discouloration right on the inside of the elbow looks like it has a hole in it......My handle is MRGADGET Please let me know.
Thanks again for the info so far.You guys are life savers.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:41 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFord
I just checked and found a hole on the elbow there. You are a genius!

If I am on the right track, this PCV line has an elbow at the engine rear end side. The line side is about 0.5" diameter and the engine side is about 0.75". This elbow is a rubber part and I found carbon debris right at the turning point where it broke. I first found a little hole there and when I tried to pull it out, it broke almost completely. I found the engine can't even idle without this connection.

What did you do to fix it? If you bought a new piece from Ford, do they have a new design for this part? Apparently it's another faulty design from Ford and I just wonder if they have a new design which they will call "heavy duty" part as usual. Do you have a part number?

By looking at the broken part and its location, I really think it should be made of metal. The temperature there is very high because it's too close to the firewall and all hot air goes there and stops there.

I will try to buy one from Ford dealer tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!
Anyone Red Green Fans? If you are you're gonna love this.
It's Sunday and there are no Auototive store's open, So what is a guy to do to fix this P-0171 and P-0174 engine light problem.

I took a closer look at the PVC Elbow at the back of the intake manifold and sure enough there was a hole about 2/8ths big right in the inside of the elbow.

So I decided to carefully clean the area with a clean soft cloth,
then ripped some siver DUCKT TAPE in thin strips about 1/2" wide and 4"s long and carefully wrapped theelbow and surrounding area's.

And no lie....I started my Expedition.....and the engine light was gone and the Expedition was idling smooth as can be..

Now on Monday when the Ford Dealership is open I can go and buy the correct part.

I can't say it enough time's Thanks a Million guys this is the best internet site out there.

So just remember....Duckt Tape keep a roll in you truck just in case you'd be suprised what it can do for you in a pinch.
Thanks again
Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 PM
New User

hillbilly2084 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for all the info. I was taking my vechile to the dealer on moday, but i think i will try this first, that is after i drop the tranny out of my 92 F150!!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:39 AM
New User

Good Luck.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Freshman User

floormatman is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's the beauty of the forum....Excellent way to share info. Can certainly save you a trip to the dealer from time to time.

Jim
Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
New User

brentkuykendall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re: P0174 and P0171 trouble codes. I wish I had checked this forum before I bought the MAF sensor for $85. After reading the posts here I found the same little boot at the rear of the manifold that was broken. Ford sells the whole PCV line for $57.02 plus tax. That fixed the problem. AutoZone was kind enough to give me a refund on the MAF so alls well.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:07 PM
New User

brentkuykendall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re: P0174 and P0171 trouble codes.

I wish I had checked this forum before I bought the MAF sensor for $85. After reading the posts here I found the same little boot at the rear of the manifold that was broken. Ford sells the whole PCV line for $57.02 plus tax. That fixed the problem. AutoZone was kind enough to give me a refund on the MAF so alls well. Thanks for your posts.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
New User

bbbb is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the 5.4 engine and the hose that I think you guys are talking about does not feel like it has a elbow where it connects to the rear of the engine. Its a hard plastic tube with a rubber elbow on the front end that connects to a 3 line splitter and goes into the PCV valve? Can some one please post a pic of the line, I don't want to remove the wrong hose as its not easy getting my hand behind the engine. The elbow that goes into the splitter was caved in so I hope that was the problem. I also have some thing coming out of the side of the manifold with 3 hoses going to it and one of those going behind the engine.

Thanks for any help on this!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
New User

suzyqu65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
expedition service code bank 1 lean

First of all let me say that I love my truck!!! I'm am sad though because about 3 weeks ago the service engine light came on. We cleaned the MAS (after reading about it on this forum), disconnect the battery and the light went out. But it came back on about an hour later. So we had it hooked up to a machine that gave us the code Bank 1 lean. We replaced the MAS and the light went out but unfortunately it came back on a week later. We took it back to the place to hook it back to the machine and the same code showed up so they reset the system. The light went out and came back on exactly 6 days later. Again my husband took the truck to the shop, the same code showed up and the reset it again. This time the light came back on less then 24 hours later. Honestly my truck is running fine so we are confused. Any suggestions as to what we should do now?

Also, the ABS light is coming on but goes out every time the truck is turned off. The brakes seem fine other than every now and again it feels like they are vibrating while stopping. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who can offer suggestions...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Freshman User

johnnyRacer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had the same codes for sometime now. I heard the vacuum leak at the rear of the engine. I replaced the pcv hose that had a hole in it. The same codes came back about after a week. Today I heard light detonation going up hill or if I push the engine. It went away, but I'm worried. I'll look at the pcv hose again and maybe spray the intake with some carb cleaner to see if there's another leak. By the way does anyone have the OEM part # for the whole pcv line assembly.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyRacer View Post
I've had the same codes for sometime now. I heard the vacuum leak at the rear of the engine. I replaced the pcv hose that had a hole in it. The same codes came back about after a week. Today I heard light detonation going up hill or if I push the engine. It went away, but I'm worried. I'll look at the pcv hose again and maybe spray the intake with some carb cleaner to see if there's another leak. By the way does anyone have the OEM part # for the whole pcv line assembly.
I just went to Checker Auto and bought two S shaped hoses from the Help section and cut them in half. I used them as the rubber elbows and this seems to have fixed my problem. I also replaced the PCV valve and another short piece of hose with a piece of fuel line.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqu65 View Post
First of all let me say that I love my truck!!! I'm am sad though because about 3 weeks ago the service engine light came on. We cleaned the MAS (after reading about it on this forum), disconnect the battery and the light went out. But it came back on about an hour later. So we had it hooked up to a machine that gave us the code Bank 1 lean. We replaced the MAS and the light went out but unfortunately it came back on a week later. We took it back to the place to hook it back to the machine and the same code showed up so they reset the system. The light went out and came back on exactly 6 days later. Again my husband took the truck to the shop, the same code showed up and the reset it again. This time the light came back on less then 24 hours later. Honestly my truck is running fine so we are confused. Any suggestions as to what we should do now?

Also, the ABS light is coming on but goes out every time the truck is turned off. The brakes seem fine other than every now and again it feels like they are vibrating while stopping. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who can offer suggestions...

Have you replaced the vacumn line and elbows yet? This is a cheap fix and not that hard to do. The ABS light could be coming from a bad speed sensor on the rear end. This is also a cheap and easy fix, there is like one screw holding it in the rear end. Do a search on ABS light and you should get a lot of info on the sensor. The Vibration could be a bad ABS pump or most likely the rotors need to be turned.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Freshman User

Checked my Murrays/Oreilly's homemade pcv setup. Seemed to be ok sprayed gumout no change in rpms. I replaced the pcv it seamed a little clogged. Cleared the codes drove for about 40 mins while checking with the scanner, nothing. Then at about another ten mins WHAMO, codes are back. So I'm back to square one again.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejg View Post
Whyford

I also had the identical pair of codes kick out of my Expy. I was getting ready to replace the entire EGR system, valve, relays, etc. plus PCV components to the tune of almost $300 in parts from the dealer.

I caught some tips from this forum on other possible causes. One of which was simply a dirty MAF. I simply pulled the MAF out of the black intake and squirted a bunch of brake cleaner in it. I did notice before I cleaned the MAF that there was some lint-like looking goobers on the heated wire in the MAF. Long story short...no more codes, no more rough running...going on 6 months now.

My two cents...
Good luck this can get frustrating.
This morning I tried this. When I looked into the MAS the wire was covered in black boogers. I cleaned it with some electical contact cleaner. After that I could actually see the wire color now. I cleared the codes went for a short ride; NOTHING. The wife and mother-in-law went shopping all morning. After a few hours my wife came home, still no check engine light. Hopefully its cured of these codes. Monday I'm driving about 200 miles to Ohio to get a Navi rear seat, so that will be the real test.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
171, 1998, 2003, 98, bank, code, engine, expedition, fix, ford, lean, locate, p0171, po171, po174, sensor, system