Ground up restoration of a 14 y.o. Ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 PM
12valveEx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground up restoration of a 14 y.o. Ex

The story so far:

I'd been hunting for a good Excursion as a basis for Cummins conversion for about a month. 2WD or 4WD, didn't matter, what mattered most was vehicle must be in reasonably good condition for the price and not too expensive at that. Had a number of near misses but didn't jump on them after running background via Autocheck and Carfax (odometer issue, rust belt exposure, etc.). So I was being diligent in my search and then this one 2000 4WD Ex was advertised on CL as "perfect for deer lease...$2,500" and it was listed under 'auto parts' on CL. I had visions of a well used beat to hell Ex really only suitable for parking at one's deer lease, so I didn't bother checking it out. Then a couple of days later the seller re-listed it under car & trucks for sale. At this point I'm looking at anything so I decided to give the seller a call. It sounded pretty good and the seller sounded like a straight shooter so I immediately head over to see it with $2,500 cash on hand. It turns out to be a one owner truck with 109k miles on it (I obtained the original Certificate of Title showing the original registered owner with the dealer as the seller from 1999), and the last four or five years it's been out on the owner's ranch as his ranch truck (the PO owns a fair sized construction company and this was his personal truck since he bought it, you can see where it had a couple of radios in it as well as a VCR video set up for the grandkids). The last 4 or 5 years had been hard on it though, neglected and used on the ranch by whomever - and they ended up running it out of oil killing the original V10. It ended up in the hands of the fellow I purchased it from. He installed a V10 with 92k on it and spent over two hours at the DIY car wash cleaning all the mud out from underneath it while sitting on his flatbed. Of course I instantly jumped on it and didn't try to haggle. I'm still cleaning the dust out of it as it was clearly saturated with dust throughout while on the ranch. But it turns out to be a very sound basis (everything works except for the l.r. power window and all the PL actuators) for my Cummins conversion project although I have NO knowledge of the previous work done to it by the original owner, all I know of it's history is what I've outlined here.

Because of not having any knowledge of previous work done I've started going through the suspension and brakes in preparation of the conversion, and this is what I've done so far: Moog ball joints, new V/B springs and U bolts, KYB shocks (custom King shocks when I can afford them), complete new brake system including everything (gas slotted rotors, blue-printed calipers, SS brake lines, carbon kevlar brake pads, Motul brake fluid, ABS speed sensors, etc.), and most recently a Dynatrac Free Spin conversion w/ Warn hubs (this last item really chapped my butt after learning of Ford's 'better idea' of sealed bearing hubs that don't last). Sway bars and the rest of the front suspension are next. Then on to some minor body issues such as windshield replacement (dust scratches), front doors weatherstripping issues (more glass scratches), power lock actuators and power window motors/regulators. I've got some Wetokole neoprene seat covers in digital camo coming in (will match the tan interior nicely) since I can't see putting new leather on the seats.

I'm still assessing what else is needing to be done to restore this truck while the parts are readily available. I intend to keep this truck a long time. Any suggestions on restoration items will be appreciated.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
sounds cool so far, welcome to FTE

we need pictures as well.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, I'm glad to see people finally interested in restoring these trucks!

There are parts I'd recommend getting while you still can, but without seeing it now, it's hard to say what it needs. Also, a lot of parts are being obsoleted now, such as the original brake parts.

I'm just trying to keep mine in as original condition as possible so I don't have to ever restore it! I'm hoping it's one of those 'original condition' trucks to show up to a car show in 30 years, even though it may have a few modifications to it...

Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Pics man, come on

Old 07-12-2013, 05:13 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pics!!! Sounds like a cool project for sure

Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As cool as that sounds, the first rule of a ground up restoration is to start with a clean car!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
12valveEx
Senior User
Originally Posted by mgraveman
As cool as that sounds, the first rule of a ground up restoration is to start with a clean car!
This isn't that kind of restoration. lol I really don't put that much value on what it looks like, I just want it to be troublefree and super-reliable for the next 15+ years. Despite being run through the brush on the ranch it's still presentable. Restoring the exterior appearance is the last thing on my list of things to do to it, in fact I'm seriously thinking of plasti-dipping the exterior.

And actually one non-smoker owner/109k miles on a 14 y.o. truck amounts to fairly 'clean' IMO. The fellow I bought it from spent about a year tinkering with it himself as a hobby project, changing all the fluids and cleaning up & painting the underside of it.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a neat project - make sure to post pictures!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the idea of a cummins swap. Been tossing that around for my wifes Excursion myself.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
Sounds like an awesome build. I'm not sure if I'm aloud to name specific names but u might check out a website for parts catalogs for all kinds trucks. They have an online catalog for the excursion that should help with your restoration.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 AM
chops3131
New User
That will be cool