Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
New User

kjhales is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replacing body panels

I am replacing outer sheet metal along the left side of my 65 Econoline van (lower portion between fenders, rear fender, and rear corner with fuel filler).

I would like to know if anyone has any advice or warnings before I tear into this.

I have already removed the rear corner and repaired the floor and rear door jamb. Before going further, I would like to know if I'm going to run into any structural problems with too many pieces removed.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Junior User

scoobyvanjack is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na na na na
Did you get it done? How did it go? I found a bunch of internal ribs that ran from the roof to the bottom of the rocker. I made boxes that mimicked the originals. Inside the left rear corner my fuel filler tube was in a box that needed some patches. under the body I found an odd corner reinforcement though welded in it was also bolted in.
These were on both sides but the right one was completely gone. Had replaced the rt corner first and didn't even know it was missing. I ran into trouble scabbing in panels along the top of the wheel wells and the more so the ones that butt up to it on the upper panels above. I'm going to cut them out and try to spot weld a thicker strap of steel along the edge to arrest the metal from warping. The door jamb is made up of a lot of various details and boxes and channels these add a lot of strength to the hinge point. I've posted a few picks on one or two spots to see. Good luck with yours I'm getting near the end of the sheet metal and will need to grind the welds smooth and fill it smooth. I'm gonna try my hand at lead but if need be it I'll finish it in Bondo.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline