2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2008 Expy EB "DVD HOT" Message

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM
ecyrbh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Expy EB "DVD HOT" Message

Hello to everyone,I need some assistance with an issue I'm having with my 08 Expedition.This past weekend while on a family outing,one of my kids wanted to watch a DVD.The player is an OE unit and when a known good DVD is inserted,the unit will load and then displays a message on the head unit in the dash.It says"DVD HOT"..When you eject the DVD,it ejects the disc and the unit continues to run and won't shut off.I would imagine that if I was unaware,it would eventually run the battery dead,so I pulled fuse #3 to remove power to the unit.I tried different DVD's and get the same message...Well I recently purchased a full set of repair manuals,and one of the tests that the book tells you to do is to replace the unit with a known good one...That's kind of hard to do unless I actually have one available to me as a dealership would...The book does,however,provide a self diagnostic proceedure that I was able to retrieve a DTC of "U0196 BUS RX"...The code description states" Lost communication with entertainment control module-Rear (Aux)"...Can anyone help with this issue or do I just bite the bullet and take it to the "Stealer-ship" and be at their mercy.....PLEASE HELP,...Bryce

Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Bryce, do you have the factory NAV also or just the CD player ?

I would try pulling the fuse for the radio and DVD then replace it and see if they "resync" with each other.

Matt

Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
ecyrbh
Senior User
No Nàv,just the CD player....haven't tried that yet,I'll give it a shot...Good idea,Thank you Sir....

Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
ecyrbh
Senior User
Well Matt,that didn't work...I played around with it for about an hour...I even disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and still says "DVD HOT" on the radio when you insert a disc....Another thing I noticed is when you turn the ignition switch off and open any door,the DVD player runs for about 5 seconds and shuts off,but also if you activate lets say a door lock switch or anything electrical that would be controlled by a module or something like that,the DVD player turns on by itself for 5-10 seconds and then shuts off,and it may or may not cycle on and off continuously...The only way to make it quit is to pull fuse #3....Like I stated before,I have a factory repair manual and nowhere in it does it describe or troubleshoot the "DVD HOT" message on the radio....I'm getting really ticked that I can't figure it out on my own...I don't want to get ripped at the dealer...Know what I mean???

Old 07-13-2013, 04:33 PM
ecyrbh
Senior User
Well,after fiddle-farting around with this thing,I broke down and pulled two DVD players from a local salvage yard today.The first one that they yard let me try out,(luckily it is their policy to plug them in to your vehicle before you leave),also didn't work,but that unit did something completely different than mine.Then I plugged in the second one,and "YEAH BABY", it worked!!!!...I guess the technical guys who wrote the Ford Shop Manual actually knew what they were doing when it said," Replace with a known good unit"...I hope the set of books I bought weren't a total waste....At least,the cost of a used one equaled the cost of my deductible at the dealer.I know it wasn't keeping me from driving the Expy,but I fixed it in one day,whereas,the dealer would have kept it for a couple of days and to find out that they would have had to order a replacement and cost me more time and fuel to bring it in for a two minute job to hang it back on the roof....Many Thanks to RIMatt for his help on this issue this time around;maybe you can help me out again in the future,I really appreciate it....