Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Marketplace > Vehicles for Sale
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Vehicles for Sale All vehicles (Ford Truck or otherwise) for sale here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

Cars Search
Keyword:
Year:
(Range)
Make:
Model:
Price:
Mileage:
Location (State):

Parts Search
Keyword:
Category:
Price:
Private or Vendor Listing:
Location (State):
Item Condition:

Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Senior User

brooklyn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up 1978 F-150 4x4, auto, lifted, 33's, msd ignition/coil, needs minimal restoration work

Year: 1978
Make: Ford
Model: F-150
Price: $2500
Mileage: 999999
Color: Orange
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): LA
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
Color: Orange
Engine: 351m

Family needs require me to consolidate, selling car and looking to sell/trade my beloved F-150. I've posted a lot about it here (though I didn't go through with a lot of my crazy ideas), and so did a previous owner. Located in New Orleans.

Orange 1978 Ford F-150 4x4, 351m v8 bored .30 over; 3" lift, 33" tires, straight pipes, C6 automatic transmission, power brakes, power steering, MSD ignition & truck coil; Holley Truck Avenger carb sitting on Edelbrock intake, 1-wire alternator, less than 2000 miles on new radiator. Electric fan. Aftermarket steering wheel. Aftermarket CD player & Sony speakers/boxes. Diamond plate bed rails and box with key. Drop-in bedliner, clean underneath. No A/C. Re-covered cloth seats are fading a little from the sun, but very comfortable. Clear title and I can provide the notary.

Good: Engine sounds and pulls strong, good acceleration, transmission shifts are smooth, 4x4 works. New marine-grade battery 2 months/100 miles ago. Gets thumbs-up everywhere. People take pictures. Little kids wave. Girls ask if we can go for a ride. I'm not making any of that up. In the time I've had it I've driven less than 2000 miles and added new carb, new plugs & wires, new battery, new washable air filter, new fuel filter, new oil/filter, mostly new vacuum lines, new rotor cap & bug, new coil, new ignition, new flexplate, new starter, starter cable, pcv valve, vacuum advance, gas cap, probably some other stuff. Other than the carb and starter/flexplate, didn't need most of that, was just trying to upgrade as I went (and took a lot of throwing parts at it before I found out that the old carb was under recall).

Bad: I let it sit for six months and now the brakes are *really* weak. Like not safe to drive. Think the proportioning valve might be stuck, but don't know much about brakes. Mechanic says it needs new U-joints. Runs a little hotter than I'd like, electric fan takes care of it. Wiring is a mess and should be re-done: part of dash backlighting is out; horn button is ziptied to steering column and works only when ignition is on; somehow reverse light is wired to the fan circuit. Fan is wired to switch on battery, no thermostat involved (long story). Needs a better fan bracket (angle iron would do it). Something funny with the timing (or vac leak?) makes it hesitate a little off idle if you don't accelerate smoothly. Paint is fading on the hood and roof, and some minor rust bubbles/couple of dings & scratches. Lost the handle to the tailgate so just took it off and put on a cargo net (tailgate included, has some rust on one hinge but works fine if you don't mind opening your tailgate with vice grips. Steering has a lot of travel but works OK. Broke off a valve cover bolt and have used a C-clamp there ever since without problems. I've driven it to Pascagoula and back in a single day, haven't tried to go further. Drips a tiny bit of oil when warmed up, but not enough that I've needed to add any between changes.

Right now I can't find the keys and have been opening it with a coathanger, hotwiring it to start, and using a brake lock to keep it secure- but I will find them before sale. Have key to box.

I need something with better gas mileage. Not really sure what to ask, I have at least $2500 and hundreds of hours of work into it since purchase in 2009, and found a lot of information about all the work and money that went into it before that (which I can provide). Will trade for 1997+ Dodge Ram/Dakota extended cab, auto trans, reliable enough for daily commuting and able to haul a light trailer/camper.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
2 feet
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Senior User

maverick600 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Judging from reading your post we live pretty close together. i am located in Ocean Springs. Do you still have the vehicle???
2000 Hydrasports 212WA
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Elder User

taxreliever77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For someone that's mechanically inclined, this could be a great deal! Offer $1500-2000?
2007 Expeidtion EB
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Tags
'78, 1978, 4x4, dentside, f-150, f150, lifted, louisiana, new orleans, orange