Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #31  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
GSCPSD GSCPSD is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
GSCPSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
Yeah, they do. The IVS is a Cutler Hammer Part # SS22BW32-330Y. It used to be an in-stock part at this site: SS22BW32-330Y Cutler Hammer/Eaton | Buy SS22BW32 330Y | Onlinecomponents.com. I'm not sure if they can still get them (they show that they have 0 in stock) or if you can locate one somewhere else.

Looks like it's in-stock at this site:
http://unlimitedmicro.com/p-939055-ss22bw32-330y.aspx

Just ordered two they have a $50.00 minimum order. Will update once I receive them with pics and more details.

Last edited by GSCPSD; 10-23-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added info.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM
GSCPSD GSCPSD is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
GSCPSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
DISCONTINUED-OBSOLETE

^^^^UPDATE TO ABOVE POST^^^^

Sorry fellows I received an Email this morning from the linked company above stating "ORDER CANCELED". I gave them a call and was told Cutler Hammer is no longer making this part-(IVS SWITCH) Cutler Hammer Part # SS22BW32-330Y, it is now tagged DISCONTINUED-OBSOLETE and all existing stock has been DEPLETED.

If anyone finds a source for these please let me know mine is going bad and I don't intend to pay the StealerShip $350.00 or more for a new one.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM
BBslider001's Avatar
BBslider001 BBslider001 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Hill Country, TX
Posts: 1,736
BBslider001 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow, that isn't good news. Now that we are starting to have parts become obsolete, maybe it's time we find a way to do away with the stupid thing altogether. I absolutely love my truck, but this dumb little switch has made me just a little pissed off.
__________________
Byron
1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, 6637 Intake, Straight 4" Stainless Exhaust, 3" DP, Bellowed Uppies and E-Fuel by Re-Billd, Rotella 15w-40/Motorcraft Filters, EDGE Insight CTS, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure/Boost Gauges, John Woods E4OD HD, TS Chip, 217k Miles

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT (10,700#)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 AM
madpogue madpogue is online now
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,788
madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtrapper View Post
Thank you mad, I appreciate it. I'm not sure which way to turn but I do know a little more now. If I may ask another question please. I can only find one "sensor" under the dash on the pedal assembly.
Post a pic if you can. As said, there should be two electrical connections to the pedal. Did you just buy the truck? Maybe the PO did something... creative.
Quote:
Is there any type of "accelerator"/"throttle" sensor under the hood of a '97 F250 7.3? Thank you again for your help.
Nothing under the hood. The PCM controls engine power directly, electronically, by varying injection timing and pressure and "pulse width" (duration) of each injection. There's no place to even introduce a mechanical control of any kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSCPSD View Post
I gave them a call and was told Cutler Hammer is no longer making this part-(IVS SWITCH) Cutler Hammer Part # SS22BW32-330Y, it is now tagged DISCONTINUED-OBSOLETE and all existing stock has been DEPLETED.
Well that suxs. Time to start fishing the classifieds here and on the other truck forums for a part-out, same with craigslist and car-part.com, and just buy a whole pedal assembly.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Hogtrapper's Avatar
Hogtrapper Hogtrapper is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana, Arkansas
Posts: 143
Hogtrapper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you guys, life has kept me busy the last few days. I am not the owner of the truck, my son is and I am thinking about buying it IF I can get the accelerator problems figured out and solved. The problem is identical to the OPs post but I hate to bypass a safety switch. We have replaced 4 or 5 "TPS" or "APP" sensors, not sure which one this truck has, in the last 12 months so I feel there is another problem some where that is causing them to go out every few months. Your input and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Again I am not trying to hyjack a thread I just thought since the problems SEEM to be identical I could tag along and learn something. Thank you.



Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 AM
DIYMechanic's Avatar
DIYMechanic DIYMechanic is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wooster, Ohio
Posts: 7,751
DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtrapper View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you guys, life has kept me busy the last few days. I am not the owner of the truck, my son is and I am thinking about buying it IF I can get the accelerator problems figured out and solved. The problem is identical to the OPs post but I hate to bypass a safety switch. We have replaced 4 or 5 "TPS" or "APP" sensors, not sure which one this truck has, in the last 12 months so I feel there is another problem some where that is causing them to go out every few months. Your input and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Again I am not trying to hyjack a thread I just thought since the problems SEEM to be identical I could tag along and learn something. Thank you.



So what happens when you step on the throttle? Nothing at all? Does the CEL come on? Just so we're on the same page, the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)is the top wiring connector (up on the top of the assembly) and the IVS (Idle Validation Switch) is the one on the left side (with the red little boot on it).

What is that extra red wire that looks to be going down to the IVS?
__________________
--Nate "Just a redneck geek"

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
BBslider001's Avatar
BBslider001 BBslider001 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Hill Country, TX
Posts: 1,736
BBslider001 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
So what happens when you step on the throttle? Nothing at all? Does the CEL come on? Just so we're on the same page, the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)is the top wiring connector (up on the top of the assembly) and the IVS (Idle Validation Switch) is the one on the left side (with the red little boot on it).

What is that extra red wire that looks to be going down to the IVS?
I was wondering the same thing. That shouldn't be there. I still have yet to cut and solder the wire on mine that is giving me fits. Once it communicates with the PCM, I am good until I **** the truck down, so I am dealing with it until I get a few hours to get under there again and cut/solder. Anyways,sorry to hijack.

I would test your wiring going form the IVS to the PCM and to the #3 fuse. I found out my red/orange wire is actually bad between the switch and the bulkhead connector at the firewall....which is why I have to cut/solder to bypass the questionable wiring in the main loom.
__________________
Byron
1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, 6637 Intake, Straight 4" Stainless Exhaust, 3" DP, Bellowed Uppies and E-Fuel by Re-Billd, Rotella 15w-40/Motorcraft Filters, EDGE Insight CTS, Glow Shift Fuel Pressure/Boost Gauges, John Woods E4OD HD, TS Chip, 217k Miles

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT (10,700#)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Diesel_Brad Diesel_Brad is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gilbert, PA
Posts: 14,136
Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Would this fix a TOUCHY throttle?

Mine in my 97 is a PITA and very easily gets the truck bucking, especially on t=any tune other than stock
__________________
Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seats. PM me !!!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Hogtrapper's Avatar
Hogtrapper Hogtrapper is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana, Arkansas
Posts: 143
Hogtrapper is starting off with a positive reputation.
The truck I posted the pictures of is '97 F250 with a 7.3 and a manual tranny. The problem is, while driving down the road at any given speed the accelerator will stop functioning and the engine will go to an idle and the check engine light will come on. The accelerator can be depressed 2 to 6 times and the check engine light will go out and the accelerator starts functioning normally again and all is well. There is no rhythm to this action what so ever. Sometimes you can drive the truck without any problems at all and sometimes this problem occurs 2 or 3 times just driving 3 or 4 miles. The TPS has been replaced 4 times in the last 12 months and each time it is replaced the accelerator works fine for a while then the truck starts acting up again. I feel like something else is wrong causing the TPS to keep going bad but I don't have enough knowledge to make an intelligent diagnosis of this problem. Your help/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you gentlemen.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 PM
madpogue madpogue is online now
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,788
madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
Try putting one of the old sensors back in, just to see if the problem goes away again for a while, or comes right back.

Have you scanned the truck for stored codes?

So what _is_ that red wire?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
DIYMechanic's Avatar
DIYMechanic DIYMechanic is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wooster, Ohio
Posts: 7,751
DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Would this fix a TOUCHY throttle?

Mine in my 97 is a PITA and very easily gets the truck bucking, especially on t=any tune other than stock
Yes it could. The issue that causes a touchy throttle is that the TPS starts to move before the IVS clicks so when the pedal actually becomes "active" so to speak the TPS is already calling for fueling. If you get down there and adjust the little metal tab so it allows the IVS to "click" as soon as the pedal starts to move (but not before or it will set the CEL) it will really smooth out the throttle and you'll be able to "feather" it a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtrapper View Post
The truck I posted the pictures of is '97 F250 with a 7.3 and a manual tranny. The problem is, while driving down the road at any given speed the accelerator will stop functioning and the engine will go to an idle and the check engine light will come on. The accelerator can be depressed 2 to 6 times and the check engine light will go out and the accelerator starts functioning normally again and all is well. There is no rhythm to this action what so ever. Sometimes you can drive the truck without any problems at all and sometimes this problem occurs 2 or 3 times just driving 3 or 4 miles. The TPS has been replaced 4 times in the last 12 months and each time it is replaced the accelerator works fine for a while then the truck starts acting up again. I feel like something else is wrong causing the TPS to keep going bad but I don't have enough knowledge to make an intelligent diagnosis of this problem. Your help/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you gentlemen.
I think the TPS is fine and what you need is to replace the IVS. The IVS is that lower switch with the little red boot on it. If the throttle is going unresponsive and the CEL is coming on, I think the IVS signal is dropping out which essentially makes the PCM ignore the input from the TPS.

And I think before I would replace the IVS I would figure out what that red wire is and whether it is tied into the wiring for the IVS or not. If it is, I would start the troubleshooting process right there.
__________________
--Nate "Just a redneck geek"

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
OldWoodsDiesel's Avatar
OldWoodsDiesel OldWoodsDiesel is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Exton, PA
Posts: 1,572
OldWoodsDiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post

I think the TPS is fine and what you need is to replace the IVS. The IVS is that lower switch with the little red boot on it. If the throttle is going unresponsive and the CEL is coming on, I think the IVS signal is dropping out which essentially makes the PCM ignore the input from the TPS.

And I think before I would replace the IVS I would figure out what that red wire is and whether it is tied into the wiring for the IVS or not. If it is, I would start the troubleshooting process right there.
it could also be a wiring issue - you'll have to doublecheck, but the IVS gets a 12V input and then sends back the same voltage to the PCM when the switch is closed and 0V when open. the TPS for gets the vref signal as input (5V), then sends back a variable voltage signal to the PCM based on throttle position. it also has a ground that goes back through the PCM as well as an error checker.

with the key off, you should check resistance to ground for all 5 wires (2 in the IVS connector and 3 in the TPS connector). then turn the key to on, and check voltages for all wires. i'll go find the link to the manual pages and post them back here to tell you what each value should be. if you have an intermittent short to ground on one of those wires, it would definitely set a CEL and probably cause the throttle drop-out you're seeing.

here you go: http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...a/sia00038.htm
the first two tables can be checked just with the sensors unplugged. the 3rd one down requires unplugging the PCM and checking pins, which is a pain.
also, of note, it says anything less than 1000 ohms is a short to ground for Vref. I was looking into some wiring/sensor issues recently and found that my Vref resistance to ground (with key off) was only ~500ohms. I thought this was maybe my problem, but then found it to be the case at all Vref locations in my truck AND on all 3 PCMs that I checked. so if you find something less than 1000 ohms but more than 500 ohms on the Vref lines, that's probably not the problem...
__________________
JP
96 F250 SCLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - RED (RIP - the part out has begun)
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - WHITE (361k mi - DD, auto->ZF5, 3.55LS, 6637, 3"DP->StraightPipe, 33x12.5x16.5's, object of more upgrades)
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Hogtrapper's Avatar
Hogtrapper Hogtrapper is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texarkana, Arkansas
Posts: 143
Hogtrapper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you gentlemen, sound like I have a little home work to do LOL. Work will have me busy for the next few days but I will definately perform the check you all recommended asap.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Diesel_Brad Diesel_Brad is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gilbert, PA
Posts: 14,136
Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
Yes it could. The issue that causes a touchy throttle is that the TPS starts to move before the IVS clicks so when the pedal actually becomes "active" so to speak the TPS is already calling for fueling. If you get down there and adjust the little metal tab so it allows the IVS to "click" as soon as the pedal starts to move (but not before or it will set the CEL) it will really smooth out the throttle and you'll be able to "feather" it a lot better.


Thanks. I'll have to look at that
__________________
Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seats. PM me !!!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Talyn's Avatar
Talyn Talyn is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 16,825
Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Interesting I'm having a wierd issue lately. I'ma have to check on this.
__________________
Talyn (AKA: der Schafen Führer)
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 Expy - Idles at 15-18 mph sometimes.... Fat Slob Expedition & Navigator 10 01-31-2014 06:20 PM
2001 Expy 5.4 misfiring? Bford1022 Expedition & Navigator 0 08-05-2011 05:53 PM
1999 7.3 F450 rough idle and dies sometimes. Nsaan 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 9 09-01-2010 01:53 AM
97 Powerstroke throttle position sensor lhaley45 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1 03-21-2009 08:41 AM
Bucking 1988 F350 tommyzax Super Duty & Heavy Duty 3 06-17-2003 02:44 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup