Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Senior User

coatit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool smells like antifreeze

smells like antifreeze but i can't find any leaks or wet spots on the carpet and the coolant level is good where should I look.Just replaced heater core last winter. HELP
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Postmaster

bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.
Smells like antifreeze in the cab? If so it sounds like a heater core issue. It doesn't take much antifreeze to smell up the cab. You really had to have the heater core replaced?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Senior User

coatit is starting off with a positive reputation.
yes just did that back in february, cost near $1000.00
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Elder User

Cubawashere has a good reputation on FTE.Cubawashere has a good reputation on FTE.
Cuba Rodriguez
do you have access to a coolant pressure tester? Pressurize the system and be sure there is a leak and pressure doesn't hold. Otherwise it does sound like core issue. Possible defect or someone damaged it upon install? Sounds like for a whole $1000. bucks though, better be a hell of a warranty with that job! Sorry to hear and Good luck!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubawashere View Post
do you have access to a coolant pressure tester? Pressurize the system and be sure there is a leak and pressure doesn't hold. Otherwise it does sound like core issue. Possible defect or someone damaged it upon install? Sounds like for a whole $1000. bucks though, better be a hell of a warranty with that job! Sorry to hear and Good luck!

On the new trucks, there's a ton of labor involved just to get to the heater core.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Elder User

Cubawashere has a good reputation on FTE.Cubawashere has a good reputation on FTE.
Cuba Rodriguez
Lucky for me, I haven't gotten to work on any of those yet. The worse one by far for me to date was on a Blazer, don't remember what year it was, but had to physically cut the A/C box and remove fender well as per Chevy among other things.... 2 day job there...the only thing I learned was that I NEVER wanted to do another one on them....lol
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Elder User

Turbo Dog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Turbo Dog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Like they said up above it only takes a few drops in the heater box to smell.

The worst heater core I ever replaced took a week 8 hours a day! That was a Lotus Espirt S3...It is the first item put on the chassis before they build the fiberglass body. I had to drill out the rivets to remove the hand wrapped leather dash, then the entire heater/ac dust system, then I had to cut out the entire firewall. The owner came in and saw his car torn apart and hit the roof.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Elder User

Cuba Rodriguez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog View Post
Like they said up above it only takes a few drops in the heater box to smell.

The worst heater core I ever replaced took a week 8 hours a day! That was a Lotus Espirt S3...It is the first item put on the chassis before they build the fiberglass body. I had to drill out the rivets to remove the hand wrapped leather dash, then the entire heater/ac dust system, then I had to cut out the entire firewall. The owner came in and saw his car torn apart and hit the roof.
Heck of an accomplishment right there!!! LMAO on the reaction of the customer!! Livid I'm sure.... hands down, I bet you'll never want to do that job again...lol

Unbelievable the way they make cars...especially trying to access important parts that do wear such as the core.... Thanks for your story of your worst core experience!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Elder User

Turbo Dog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Turbo Dog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That was back before they were fuel injected so they had dual side draft 4 barrel carbs on a turbo powered 4 cylinder engine. If I tuned one up I would hope the owner would pick it up that day. It only took slight barometric pressure changes to throw off the tuning.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150