1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Insuring our trucks ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Insuring our trucks ?

Over the years I have only seen insurance for our trucks mentioned briefly, please forgive me if I've just missed it. I have only carried liability mostly because I know nothing of the in's and out's of vintage truck insurance, cost, what they cover or don't etc.. I would be interested to learn more on this subject if anyone has anything to share. Thank you in advance for any information, and or comments.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I have mine insured with my overall insurer, American Family. They started offering classic auto insurance a few years ago. I full replacement value with full coverage, like my daily driver, even towing insurance. I've never had to make a claim with either of my trucks but I've made claim on other cars and house and American Family always came through.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Jimmy how are you? I hope you get more than liability soon. I recently switched from Safeco to state farm due to son getting a dangerous dog. Did you know some homowners insurance doesn't cover large dogs they will cancel you? if you have a large breed dog check with them. Back to question, Safeco covered limited mileage had towing up to 15 miles one way was full coverage and had 54 ford totaled value at $23000. $382 every six months. State farm is more restrictive on mileage but much less at $82 every six. I did price check with progressive, gieko and hagarty. Best coverage and lowest price I the order posted. Lowest price was just over $200 every six. Due to disability I must use the cheapest right now but when I can drive I will change to one of them.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grundy or Haggerty in my opinion. I have mine with Grundy.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Okiedokie
Grundy or Haggerty in my opinion. I have mine with Grundy.
Yes forgot to mention Grundy. Internet search can give good results.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I have mine insured with my overall insurer, American Family. They started offering classic auto insurance a few years ago. I full replacement value with full coverage, like my daily driver, even towing insurance. I've never had to make a claim with either of my trucks but I've made claim on other cars and house and American Family always came through.
I too have mine insured with American Family along with my other cars and home. I got a declared value policy for the appraised value of the truck for less than some of the classic places quoted me and with no restrictions on mileage, etc.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
State Farm - less that $200 year with ability to suspend collision during the winter.

DW

Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If you drive your car for other than pleasure (like to the hardware store or on other errands, or to work occasionally) the classic car companies (Hagerty, Grundy) are not going to cover it. By all means get more than liability! At least get Comprehensive for theft coverage.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Sorry Ross, that is incorrect.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I added Edith to my other policies at State Farm. $100k/300k liability along with $15K collision ($250 deduct) & Comp ($100 deduct) along with towing, uninsured coverage and medical for $130 a year.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Okiedokie
Sorry Ross, that is incorrect.
Why do you say that? I have Hagerty and the policy is very explicit. Pleasure use only. Using it for errands is not considered "pleasure".

Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Why do you say that? I have Hagerty and the policy is very explicit. Pleasure use only. Using it for errands is not considered "pleasure".
I agree with both of you,one of them,I can't remember which. They would only insure if you had 3 or more vehicles,I went through the whole process then got turned down. I also told them I liked to drive it to work twice a week,that axed it too. I have a Vette along with the truck and wanted stated value on both,ended up getting it through my regular insurance (Travelers). Sorry for being long,but it's important for some. Now with all that being said, if you can qualify for either Haggerty's or Grundy's get them. They are both really reasonable and my body shop says they have never ever had a problem with a claim or payout from them. Good luck and I hoped this helped, L8R ZFLASH

Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

My Grundy policy does not specify what pleasure driving is. They do not expect you to drive it like your daily driver, but they do not state that you can't include a stop at the hardware store during a pleasure drive. I have two friends who both have had a claim with them. One while we were in South Dakota and hit a deer [Hagerty paid in two weeks] and one rear ended in traffic while just out driving in the city [Grundy paid quickly] in neither case were they asked what they were doing and did it qualify as pleasure. I am no expert in insurance for sure, bit I did ask my State Farm agent, that has reg cars and house, to look at Grundy and see if he could compete. He said no way. I have heard others talk about claim problems with the normal insurers, but I have never heard that about Grundy or Hagerty. I'll stick with them thanks.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
This is from Hagerty's website:
"Freedom to enjoy your car
We believe cars are made to be driven. So our policy allows limited pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits. Whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows, you're covered. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you."

Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My Hagerty's Classic Automobile policy shows three types of vehicles:

Antique, Classic and Regular Use.

"Antique vehicle" means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that:
1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and
2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

"Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production that is an object of curiosity and:
1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and
2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

"Regular use vehicle" neans a motor vehicle which is used for regular driving to work, school, shopping, errands or for general transportation and is not an "antique vehicle" or "classic vehicle".

Quick Reply: Insuring our trucks ?