1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Insuring our trucks ?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several years ago a guy offered me a 1958 6 ton ford truck. It was originally a chasiss cab that had been custom fit with a stock bed for hauling pack horses in and out of the Bob Marshell Wilderness Trail Head. I could have the truck for getting it off the property. I called my insurance company to get a quote on insurance. Because it was a 6 ton and had the ability to haul large loads, it was rated commercial. Rates were cost prohibitive. I explained that it was a hobby restoration and would not be used to haul large loads. Because it was capable of handling large loads, commercial was the only rating they would quote. I abandon the project.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My F1 is insured with CHUBB. They insure cars, fine art, and other specialty items. Happy so far. 20k agreed value, full coverage, no deductable, towing, etc $227 per year. Like others, there are restrictions. It must be garaged at home, no daily driving, no commercial use. I checked several companies and they all have some restrictions, some more than others. I asked Grundy several pointed questions, mostly about taking the truck on a trip, and was told I would not be covered on a weekend or vacation trip unless there was a car show involved.
If you're a NSRA member, check out CHROME insurance. It's serviced by a local agent, the rates are good, but you need to move your other policies to them to get the good deal.
One of the companies offered a policy, for a small additional premium, that covered you for driving to work one day a week. It was one of the smaller companies, like Heacock or American Collectors. Let google be your guide. Another good source is Street Rodder magazine, or Streetscene, the NSRA mag. Both have lots of ad's for insurers.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
God help you if you Google "car insurance". You'll be smothered with pop-ups and "suggestions" everywhere you go for weeks!

Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
Several years ago a guy offered me a 1958 6 ton ford truck. It was originally a chasiss cab that had been custom fit with a stock bed for hauling pack horses in and out of the Bob Marshell Wilderness Trail Head. I could have the truck for getting it off the property. I called my insurance company to get a quote on insurance. Because it was a 6 ton and had the ability to haul large loads, it was rated commercial. Rates were cost prohibitive. I explained that it was a hobby restoration and would not be used to haul large loads. Because it was capable of handling large loads, commercial was the only rating they would quote. I abandon the project.
I belong to the ATHS, and most of our members have old 'large' trucks, mostly tractors, but also dumps and box trucks. A very large number of members have them insured through Haggerty or Grundy. As long as they register these trucks as Antique's they are treated basically any other vehicle insured with a stated value policy.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
According to my AF agent I can drive.my trucks pretty much like my daily driver. My daily driver is also company truck which I use for work picking up and delivering, I doubt my old truck are covered for that. When I took the F-2 down to KY last year I called the agent to double check that I was covered and told me I was, even the roadside service.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
I think the "several years ago" is the key, verses what many insurance companies offer today. Many years back, State Farm would not 'talk' collectable car insurance. Today it is different as I do believe they evaluate the risk of collector type cars as being very low. They saw the specialty companies making money and wanted some of the action.
Just a few years ago, I went to my SF agent wanting to ascertain that coverage offered by a well known special interest insurer met the base for my umbrella policy. The agent was able to offer a policy that was very competitive with the other company in all respects.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM
tomrflorida
Junior User
state farm

I have had my 67 Cougarxr7 with them for about 10 years full coverage $15000.00 stated value and 250/500 liability cost about $250.00 for 6 months and that is in South East Florida. I agreed to drive the car less than 6000 miles a year but no one has ever checked or asked me to bring it by for them to look at except when I first insured it. I will put my 49 F-1 with state farm also when it is ready in about 6 months. I have my 3 every day drivers with Gieco. My son has a 71 Mach1 with a 351 CJ in it and with full coverage in Kentucky he pays around $250.00 every 6 months also.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
70BumpClubCab
Junior User
I have had State Farm insurance since I was old enough to drive. Most of that time, carried an antique car policy (25 yrs or older vehicle) and even the "projects" in a million pieces in my garage are covered. They save me about $100-120 a month in multi-vehicle discounts, while costing me about $9.80 a month. when vehicle condition improves, I ask they raise the declared value. makes the price go up slightly but I get what I pay for. Even if the car is on a trailer with no chassis going to get painted and it falls off a dolly they would cover it. They ask that it is "not" daily driven, however shakedown runs and tune ups do require driving and if you had planned to attend that cruise-in after work, why not just take it to work and not have to go get it back at home afterwards. Parts shopping sometimes requires you take the car or truck in question with you as well. My SF reps are very flexible and understand we are using disposable income to insure these toys and are not our daily beaters.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:25 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A good response to this thread, with a lot of great info. One question, how is an agreed value obtained? I tried Haggertys and Grundys on line "get an intant quote" sites and both referred me to call them, which I kind of expected. After digesting all the posts so far, I think I may start with 21st Century who is my current company. I didn't know mainstream company's had anything to offer folks like us, so I never asked. Even though I only drive for pleasure wich is errands, I do want to be covered nomatter where I may want to go or do. Again great response thank you all.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
When I got my F-2 insured by AF I took it down to a drive-in claims center. It's been a long time but I think I just had to tell them what I thought it was worth and then we struck a deal. With the panel I took it to my agents office and he asked me what I had in it and the was the value we settled on. It's been a while for both, I really should adjust the value. I am sure what I have them insured for is less than what it would take to replace either one. I agreed value shouldn't be a big thing to adjust, it's probably the smallest cost of the policy. Liability is the biggest part. The insurance company would be out the fixed price of the truck and I have a vested interest of making sure it doesn't get wrecked. Liability could be huge, I'd have to check but I think my liability is something like $500K and an umbrella policy of $2 million.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:55 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
When I got my F-2 insured by AF I took it down to a drive-in claims center. It's been a long time but I think I just had to tell them what I thought it was worth and then we struck a deal. With the panel I took it to my agents office and he asked me what I had in it and the was the value we settled on. It's been a while for both, I really should adjust the value. I am sure what I have them insured for is less than what it would take to replace either one. I agreed value shouldn't be a big thing to adjust, it's probably the smallest cost of the policy. Liability is the biggest part. The insurance company would be out the fixed price of the truck and I have a vested interest of making sure it doesn't get wrecked. Liability could be huge, I'd have to check but I think my liability is something like $500K and an umbrella policy of $2 million.
Thanks for the quick response Bob. I should defenitly update , I insured it when I got it and it wouldn't make it around the block. LOL

Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
I have all my cars/house with Farmers, as my running cars are ALL daily drivers (I don't own a new car). I think the '54 panel is $540 a year for an agreed value of 20k, the '47 car is about $550 a year for 25k. The only one I have liability on is my '64 Chevy panel at $250 a year.

Most of the vintage car insurance won't let you daily drive it, has to be in a garage and some say you have to have a daily (read newer) car insured either with them or otherwise.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer
I have all my cars/house with Farmers, as my running cars are ALL daily drivers (I don't own a new car). I think the '54 panel is $540 a year for an agreed value of 20k, the '47 car is about $550 a year for 25k. The only one I have liability on is my '64 Chevy panel at $250 a year.

Most of the vintage car insurance won't let you daily drive it, has to be in a garage and some say you have to have a daily (read newer) car insured either with them or otherwise.
I hope you meant you only have liability on the '64 Chevy, all the others have full cover.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
A good response to this thread, with a lot of great info. One question, how is an agreed value obtained?
Hagerty's required pictures of the truck, inside and out and of the motor. At the time, I had no bed on it. I told them it was worth $10,000 and they wrote the policy for that amount, even though I had less than half that in the truck at that point.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
States differ in their minimum liability requirements. It's important to carry enough, and since there is usually a discount if you bundle your cars and trucks and homeowners together, so might as well insure it along with everything else, and at comparable _limits_ . It will be relatively inexpensive.
and coverages.

MOST people probably don't need a special collector car policy simply because they own it outright, it is a hobby and parts and materials aren't going to break the bank. In that sense one always wants to "self-insure" for stuff that doesn't matter, financially speaking.

Exceptional rarities and that kind of thing is a different matter, focus on insuring oneself well above the minimum liability coverages required before worrying about replacement or agreed upon value? While I am a safe driver, getting sued is not uncommon and medical costs and all that can quickly get out of line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insuring our trucks ?