1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

suggestions on 1950 f2

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM
1950fordf2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions on 1950 f2

I have a 50 ford f2 it has the original flathead v8 and trans it has a flatbed . So basically its not stock . I want to possibly rebuild the motor since its locked up but should i keep the original trans. I want ti make it fast . Any ideas? also was thinking about lowering a little and instead of repainting it i wanted to sand it a little and just do a clear coat. Suggestions on what i should it would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 PM
1950fordf2
New User
pics

hers a picture

Old 07-04-2013, 05:24 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please make it stop, steer and handle before even thinking of making it fast

Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Flathead + $6K = sorta fast

You've kind of handicapped yourself on all counts, starting with an F-2. Heavier and a little higher than an F-1. No 8' boxes available. You can get where you want to, but it's going to take a lot of money and a lot of your time.

On the other hand, you have what looks to be an above-average truck, sheet metal wise. You could fix it up (like Dick says, steering and brakes FIRST) and have a real enjoyable truck for not a lot of money, unless you want to do a full resto.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 AM
1950fordf2
New User
Im thinking that im just going to take the flatbed off and that way a lot of weight will be lost and then lower it

Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1950fordf2
Im thinking that im just going to take the flatbed off and that way a lot of weight will be lost and then lower it
Taking the bed off will make the rear lose traction - Lowering the vehicle changes the geometry of the handling

Throwing a bucket of paint at the truck is not painting it

Please go thru the forum and read other articles and discussions about what you are planning

Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome, that's a pretty nice truck. It's yours, you can do what ever you want with it, but the best thing to do is develop a complete plan then follow it. I wrote a long post (#26) on the topic here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-member-2.html Jumping into a build with both feet without a plan often ends up with a lot of false (and expensive) starts redos and/or chopped up trucks that end up as scrap.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 1950fordf2
You seem to have the enthusiasm for this truck project. I suggest you start with where you are located in your posting profile. Many of us love our projects and enjoy the building process. If you live anywhere near me I would be happy to help you look over the truck from a builders point of view. (as would many others on this list). Your original post stated that the motor was frozen up or stuck. That alone is equal to at least one hundred hours of work and a bucket full of one dollar bills. On to the running gear. - - The F2 is roughly equivalent to the current F250 before many of the modern conveniences were added. It is heavy and long when compared to the F1. The brakes are bigger, The rear gear ratio is lower, The transmission is stronger and heavier etc. etc. Starting to get the picture? If you have limited resources (less than $5,000.00) to spend on a project you can still obtain your objective It will just take a lot more work and time. The mechanicals can be transplanted. Buy a running truck with a 302, better yet trade for it everyone has something to trade they just don't know it. = Transfer the engine transmission and rear end into what you have. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge job in itself it may require a new driveshaft, a shifter, a fabricated motor mount, new radiator and a couple fifty's for odds and ends. You have to pay attention to the driveline width, too wide and nothing clears the fenders. You get the idea. Keep the front end as is unless you want to spend time learning to be your own fabricator. The front brakes may need to be replaced with a disc brake kit several are available for a little more cash. Many people of my generation are good welders because they learned as a survival necessity. If you don't know how - learn, anyone can glue metal together, some get the metal to actually hold together few can do a beautiful job of it. If you decide to do it yourself recognize that it will never be a show car as long as you have to make compromises with cost vs cool. If you are not a body man you can sign up at your local community college to get the necessary experience and training. You may not be suited to the amount of work needed to be a body repair technician. Don't kid yourself, This is a skill that requires a good eye for detail, a butt load of work, exposure to chemicals that if mishandled will kill you. For an example the materials for a good paint job will cost between five hundred and fifteen hundred depending on what has to be done for prep. This is not a show paint job this is a slightly better than work truck paint job. It is not unusual to spend $15,000.00 for a really nice paint job after body work is finished on a show car. - - I see many paint jobs that cost 30K. Just know your limitations and don't loose your head with expense. A great hotrod should not own you, going in debt for a toy is not a good idea. You can't build it for what you can buy it for - unless - you have the skills, tools, ready cash, time and patience to do it rite.

Sorry I did not mean to throw a bucket of ice water on your ideas. I just hope you get the fact that many of us have collectively been down that road too many times to count. I wish I would have listened to one of my uncles who were hot rod builders when I was young. It would have saved me many hours of frustration and a bucket load of wasted money that I could have blown on other projects.

Don't get discouraged this hobby is great when put in the proper perspective. Just don't try to do it overnight- a cool truck can take several years to build. Enjoy the process, The final product is just one small reward. The building process is where the fun is, one perfect part at a time. The unexpected benefit is a greater understanding of what you are looking at when you attend a car show. Appreciation for fine details have several levels one is aesthetic one is actually emotional. You sometimes see people at car shows that are in joy full animated conversations about some weird detail. You will actually get it and be able to join the brotherhood of car crazed builders.

What ever you decide to do remember it is just a project not real life. Family First .

Marty Smilt

Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool truck. I'm a sucker for flatbeds having grown up on a farm.....I'd leave it. I'd also keep it 3/4 ton and update the running gear. Maybe make it a dually. Be cool as he!!.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM
1950fordf2
New User
actually it is a flatbed . It was my great grandfathers he used it on his farm in homestead where he used to sell produce off the back