NEW B&W Companion Slider

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW B&W Companion Slider

A couple of months ago we put down a deposit on a shiny new 5er. There were 2 things I wanted before taking delivery - a Trailair pin box and the Companion Slider. Dealer took care of the pin box and I knew the Slider was available based on an announcement from B&W.

Ordered oneup from a local dealer with free install for $300 less than the RV dealer (go figure! ). There was a backorder, I guess not too surprising for a new product, but it finally came in.

Had it installed a couple of days ago. Installation, once it was adjusted the first time, is so easy. Drop it in the hole, release the lock pin, tighten one bolt to 80 ft/lb -- that's it! No messing with U-bolts or anything. The only adjustment required was to make sure the rubber rail pads fit in the dips on the truck bed.

I'll post up some pics a little later. So far I am really impressed with the quality and fit.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Chalkie
A couple of months ago we put down a deposit on a shiny new 5er. There were 2 things I wanted before taking delivery - a Trailair pin box and the Companion Slider. Dealer took care of the pin box and I knew the Slider was available based on an announcement from B&W.

Ordered oneup from a local dealer with free install for $300 less than the RV dealer (go figure! ). There was a backorder, I guess not too surprising for a new product, but it finally came in.

Had it installed a couple of days ago. Installation, once it was adjusted the first time, is so easy. Drop it in the hole, release the lock pin, tighten one bolt to 80 ft/lb -- that's it! No messing with U-bolts or anything. The only adjustment required was to make sure the rubber rail pads fit in the dips on the truck bed.

I'll post up some pics a little later. So far I am really impressed with the quality and fit.
Good to know. Enjoy!

Steve

Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Pics as promised

Fifth Wheel Hitch - chalkcliffs' Photos

Rated for 18K GTW and 4.5K VTW

Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chalkie
Fifth Wheel Hitch - chalkcliffs' Photos

Rated for 18K GTW and 4.5K VTW
Mercy, if the bridge ever washes out, all you need to do is rebuild it with the stuff in the bed of your truck. Talk about massive!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Talk about massive!
Definitely a 2 person job to lift it out.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I was wondering how heavy that is compared to my Reese slider. Looks like it is all one piece although you could take the head off.

I can do mine by myself with lifting one side at a time and bringing to the the tailgate.

I can also use a hand truck and lift it and rolling it to the tailgate.

Can you do any of that with the length of this unit?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I was wondering how heavy that is compared to my Reese slider. Looks like it is all one piece although you could take the head off.

I can do mine by myself with lifting one side at a time and bringing to the the tailgate.

I can also use a hand truck and lift it and rolling it to the tailgate.

Can you do any of that with the length of this unit?
I have not actually removed it yet to test but after seeing how it installed I would think that 2 are going to be required at least to get it out of the under bed hitch portion. The tolerances are pretty tight so it needs to be lifted/dropped in straight up and down. Yes, the head does come off seperately.

I can not find the actual weight for this. The regular Companion has a shipping weight of 107 lbs. per amazon's web site and this is clearly heavier. I am going to shoot an email to the factory to find out as I should know exactly for calculating the GVW. Right now I am estimating 200 for calculation purposes.

Mod note: changed wording due to links.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Yes they are all a pretty much precision fit. Also when you put it down and lock it in give it a couple of jerks to make sure it is locked down good.

An engine hoist if you have one can lift it out for you.

Pull it over to the side of the truck, lift up and drive from under it.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
An engine hoist if you have one can lift it out for you.
Several years ago I installed a ceiling winch in my garage to remove the father-in-law's slider. It worked well for his so I plan on trying it for mine.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Man guys, this is getting to sound like real work!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Man guys, this is getting to sound like real work!
No kidding!

I have a hard tonneau cover and may just pull the head off, put the tonneau back on and call the hitch my rear axle weight for winter. I rarely actually need the full bed for anything and have a 4X8 utility trailer for when I do.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the pictures, I take it the "companion" slider does not use the B&W turnover ball system?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
MX727
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
from the pictures, I take it the "companion" slider does not use the B&W turnover ball system?
Yes, it does use the turnover hitch:

Companion Slider - 5th Wheel Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches

Installation instructions:

http://www.turnoverball.com/sites/de..._05_2013_0.pdf

Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I sure wish that hitch had been available when I bought the B&W Companion. I did look at the brochure and it says 2 people to remove the hitch, that base anyhow.

For a comparison in size (head appears the same).

And for customer service - you can't beat B&W. I stripped a U-bolt thread when a Nyloc insert broke so I gave them a call asking the price and delivery. No charge, sent to my home within 3 days via FedEx.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I sure wish that hitch had been available when I bought the B&W Companion. I did look at the brochure and it says 2 people to remove the hitch, that base anyhow.

For a comparison in size (head appears the same).

And for customer service - you can't beat B&W. I stripped a U-bolt thread when a Nyloc insert broke so I gave them a call asking the price and delivery. No charge, sent to my home within 3 days via FedEx.
The head is indeed exactly the same. I almost ended up with the regular Companion but the slider came in just in time. Installed it on a Wednesday and brought home the new 5er on Friday. I am glad to hear that the customer service is good but I hope not to find out for myself.

Quick Reply: NEW B&W Companion Slider