Sponsored by:

I can't give up on my beast

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't give up on my beast

SO I just wrote this whole long post about what's been going on and my web browser crashed.....so I'm just going to keep this simple.

'96 5.8 XLT

Rear Differential is shredded. It's currently sitting at my mechanic. He quoted $1500-$2000 to repair.
I've found some parts in sketchy places and I really have no idea what I'm looking at or if I can trust anyone who gives me a quote. I don't have the ability to drive the car around from place to place for estimates.

A lot of people are telling me to junk it, but I really really think I should keep it. It seems like anyone I go to is taking advantage, and those who offer to help don't really have the time. They'd be cool to do it on their own- if it were their own truck but it's a lot to ask to have someone do this major repair on MY car.

I found some cars on craigslist but I really don't want to let this one go!
At this point I really don't know what to do. I think I need shocks and springs. Prob new tires... here are some pics of my bebe...
[IMG][/IMG]

What do you guys think?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
some more pics

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 PM
ibleedblue1385
Posting Guru
Get a rear axle off craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, 8.8's are plentiful.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ibleedblue1385
Get a rear axle off craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, 8.8's are plentiful.
I agree. Craigslist or the local salvage yard. Your bronco probably has 3.55 gears. A used axle shouldn't be but a couple hundred dollars. No need to junk a perfectly good Bronco.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
If you were only closer I sell you a complete 8.8 for $120

Also don't junk it. It looks to be a good shape Bronco. They are beginning to be harder to find, even the newer ones.

You can get shocks and stock springs for pretty cheap. I have a whole front axle for sale too but you're allllll the way up in New Yawk.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Fix It!

There's no way I'd junk that. I'd actually really like to have a Bronco just like it.

If you do some reading, you can probably fix most of it yourself.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Absolutely do not junk it you'll never forgive yourself!

When I got my 96, I think about a little less than a year of having it the rear end went out.. I went to a local shop and I think I paid 1100 for the labor and parts. The shop swapped in a used rear axle.

Yeah, it's a lot of money and it sucks.. but I've put over 100K on my truck since I've had the axle replaced and don't regret any of it! Knowing what I do now, I probably could replace the axle myself, but it was worth paying for it too!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
She could get a 9 inch and no worry about the axle shaft not falling out as easy.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix it. Check around to find a junkyard axle that has your same ratio and swap that thing in. Way cheaper then buying a different vehicle. It also keeps another Bronco on the road.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
She could get a 9 inch and no worry about the axle shaft not falling out as easy.
She can't if she wishes to keep an VSS in there without having to make expensive mods.

As you were told already, you can find a replacement axle for a couple hundred $ Dgabriele. All you need to find is which gear ratio you have in the front and match the rear you get acordingly. A shop shouldn't charge much to swap the busted axle out. If you decide you can't have it repaired just sell it, someone will like that nice Bronco, even with a busted rear, and you get at least 2x what you would get junking it.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
88rustyred
Senior User
Also check the sticker inside the door frame. It will have an axle code, that you can look up to find out what gear ratio you have and whether its a locking diff or not. If the engine and trans are still in good condition, it will be worth repairing the rear end and keeping the bronc.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
95bronco12
Junior User
imo that shop can go scratch. Pull one out of a junkyard truck that looks like it got hit in the front end. Around here you can get that axle for about 150. Drain the oil and inspect the insides put new oil and off you go. Swapping axles is very simple just need a couple jack stands. Don't give up on her she will get there some day.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Encho
She can't if she wishes to keep an VSS in there without having to make expensive mods.

As you were told already, you can find a replacement axle for a couple hundred $ Dgabriele. All you need to find is which gear ratio you have in the front and match the rear you get acordingly. A shop shouldn't charge much to swap the busted axle out. If you decide you can't have it repaired just sell it, someone will like that nice Bronco, even with a busted rear, and you get at least 2x what you would get junking it.
True...forgot about that electrical thing..blah

Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
thank you so much everyone for your replies!!

I've definitely heard what I want to hear...I know she is in better condition than anything that could be tossed to a junk yard. My problem is, being this clueless damsel in distress...everyone is trying to to charge me like crazy to do the repair.

I have a friend who has offered to do it but we have nowhere to jack it up. Do mechanics just let you use their shop? definitely not..

I found one without ABS (though my truck does have ABS) for $350. This is the best price i've had so far, and It's supposedly from a junked Bronco. My concern with that is, what if I go and get the part and it's the wrong part? or just as broken? or some other repair needs to be done that I don't know about??

I DO know that my ratio is 355 and the size is 8.8. Don't I want ABS though? I have 285/75/16, someone told me with that big tires i definitely should have ABS. I feel stupid just listening to whatever anyone in a greasy shirt tells me.

I wish I could get to these "around here" parts where it's only $150 or so...I wish I had a nearby Bronco club to turn to for support.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
By ABS they're actually referring to the VSS. You need to clarify if they're telling you it doesn't have the sensor installed (no biggie, you can re-use yours or get a new one), or if it comes from an older Bronco with no VSS provision (this won't bolt right on to you truck because the E4OD auto needs that signal to work).

You definitely need to fill out your signature with all the specs that you do know of the truck, it makes things easier on us.

Quick Reply: I can't give up on my beast