1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Who uses balancing beads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have not been run up on a balancing machine as yet, I didn't bother as I had no intention of attaching weights to them. The tyres are marked at the point where the valve stem should go, if they are that concerned about placement then I assume the tyres are fairly well balanced already.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
They have not been run up on a balancing machine as yet, I didn't bother as I had no intention of attaching weights to them. The tyres are marked at the point where the valve stem should go, if they are that concerned about placement then I assume the tyres are fairly well balanced already.
That means they were run up at the factory and marked to put the heaviest point of the tire opposite the valve stem to make balancing easiest, need the least amount of weight You may not need weight on the outside of the wheel, and a dab of paint on the stick on weights will conceal whatever weight they do need.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put the stick on weights inside the rims on my 55 Fairlane in 1993. They lasted the full ten years when I finally changed the tires. No problems. Jag

Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
stick on weights are fine. If the wheel is clean when they are installed they will stay on until you remove them. The key is to have the wheel CLEAN!!! We use them all the time, especially on aluminum wheels on commercial trucks.

Balance beads are good also. If the truck will sit a lot that might be the better choice, although it does take them a few miles to get distributed inside the tire when you first get moving...

Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the beads in the new tires on my 49 F3 hauler and love them, it's so easy to balance once and forget it, Garry.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several products like this on the market. EQUAL is one many truck shops use. It's more of a powder than beads, but I've seen the bead products, also. IMHO, it's better than not balancing at all, but it's got its limitations. It seems to work OK on larger tires, semi's and such, which don't turn very fast at highway speeds. I haven't seen as good results on light truck tires. I had one customer a few years ago who was having balance problems on large light truck tires. He didn't like lifting larger tire wheel combos onto his balancer so he started using equal instead. He started having out of balance comebacks until he stopped using it and went back to the balancer.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just dumped some in the tires on my motorcycle, great so far, plan on using them on the truck. This site has all in info Tire Balancing Products

Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry guys I bit my tonge as long as I can. I have not dealt with larger than light duty trucks but on the smaller tires balance beads are bad, they can tear up the tubeless part of a tubeless tire. When things roll or bounce around inside it has a snowball type effect of gathering the silicone dust for releasing tire from mold. What do you want? nice ride or good looks? The best balance is dynamic with the weights as far apart as possible, usually on outer lip flange. If you don't like that do like AX said and use tape weight. They stick quite well if rim surface is clean, we use brake clean sprayed on area. I have seen catastrophic failure from things like this resulting in blow out tire and roll over condition. Balancers today can match balance and tell you where to index the tire to obtain the best ride. The medium and large duty truck tires have greater load indexes and are constructed differently than light truck and car tires.
I would hate to think that safety over looks was compromised with safety loosing. and somebody wrecking there truck.Sorry did not mean to lecture.