1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Body Swap 65 F350 onto 62 F100

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 AM
RottenRon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Swap 65 F350 onto 62 F100

Hi guys, it's been a while, but I need some help.

Some of you will know my 65 F350, (Efy)

Love it as I do, arthritis in my wrists and the hassle of putting power steer in one of these early Aussie RHD F350s has caused me to have a serious think. The steering shaft goes straight into the box and the output shaft goes through a hole in the side of the chassis rail. There's bugger all over here that's similar apart from some Jap stuff, but it's still a major job. Here's a list of thing I have to take into consideration.

• Currently Efy doesn't have a motor fitted as I hurt it a while back and sold it off to a mate for rebuilding.
  • Engine wise I was considering building up a lower compression 351 Cleveland again, but this time, installing a single turbo. I want my cake and eat it too, and besides, I can get more steering clearance this way.
  • I'm also leaning heavily to an auto these days.
  • The difficulties in parking the old girl causes problems, mostly for the missus, who will have to drive it more and more now.
  • Efy, at near on to 3 ton, is not really quick off the mark.
Now, I have a friend of mine who wanting to sell a 62 F100. I know this truck pretty well, but it's an unfinished project.
Here are its main features.
  • It's an unfinished project, (read Cheap) The body is pretty rough.
  • It has a good 351 Cleveland, (a good base for a mild build later on)
  • It has a good C6 auto.
  • It has a 3.55 equipped 9" LSD
  • It has been setup, (engineer fitted) with a Jaguar "S" series, independent front end, with power steer, rack and pinion, 4 spot calipers and disc brakes.
I have driven the F100 when it was on the road and it was a real good ride.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, here's my thoughts.
Lift the body off EFY, (F350) in one piece, complete, and park it on the 62 F100 chassis.
I can sell off my good Dana 70 LSD diff, wheels Tyres fuel tank and Tool box. Also the 62 F100 body should be worth a little as well.

Now my questions.
  1. Can someone tell me how much rootin around I'll have with the front radiator support panel mounts. I know they are a little different, but will they basically line up?
  2. The 4 main cab/body mounts all look about the same, but are they?
  3. Can anyone else see potential problems with this idea?
I know also that the chassis rails are deeper in thee F350 but they look to be the same width which I think will be the main thing to worry about.

As I see it, if this is relatively painless to do, I should be able to solve my problems, still maintain EFY's basic identity, and keep my cool ride, basically.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Cheers, Ron.