Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Bank Account Liquidator

xmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to all
matt.montecalvo ImMonte xmontex4 xmontex4
Hood Height Adjustment

I seem to be the only one with this problem that i can find but I did an 05 front end conversion on my truck and my hood hits my grille. I originally had this problem when i swapped everything but the bumper so i went back to the old 99-04 style header panel and trimmed it to accept the newer headlights. Following that someone hit me and I got a new 05 bumper through insurance so the 05 header panel went back on and now the grille contacts the hood again. Is there a way to get the hood to sit a 1/4" higher? My bump stops are frozen in place and I moved the latch assembly up as high as I can make it go. It is starting to make the paint on the lip of the hood rub off so i would like to correct before its too late. If anyone knows the part number for the hood bump stops it would be greatly appreciated because I think that is my problem.

05 Header Panel (really old pic but still relevant) you can see how the hood sits on the grille.

04 Header panel

I do not understand why there is such a dramatic difference and how nobody seems to have had this issue but me.
07 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4l 4x4Build Thread
10 Ford Focus 4 banger...too fuel efficient for me (belongs to the wifey)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Your going to have to find a way to get the stops to adjust.
How is the gap of the sides looking? Does the hood line up
with the fender at the glass or is it high/low? Also is it set
far enough forward to line up the front with the fender edge?

Here is my 06 and the gap it has
Click the image to open in full size.
Here is the leading edge and fender view

One dirty trick way may be to add some spacers here
after you check and see if the one you have has the right
amount of hight.

Good luck and if you can take some photos and post them.
The resolution is low enough that I can't get a good look
from the image you posted. But it almost looks like the hood
is not quite in the right location.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Bank Account Liquidator

xmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to all
I looks aligned well but i did notice it might be slightly off to the passenger side by the windshield on the drivers side it is close to the fender compared to the passenger side and on the passenger side by the head light near the fender is closer than the driver side (you can see it in the pics below). This might explain why the drivers side where the hood arches down to go to the headlight is where it is rubbing and starting to rust a little. The hood doesn't seem to sit low either it lines up with the sides of the fenders so if i adjust it up it might look goofy. Sorry for the crappy pics I only have a cell phone camera.

Front view, the lighting makes it seem not that bad but its really practically touching the grille.

Front again, tried to get a better pic

Passenger side ou cansee the hood doesnt really touch the grille but its close

Drivers side, you can see it hitting the grille in this picture

Rear gap drivers side

Rear gap passenger side

Driver side along fender, you can see where it gets close near the back

Passenger side along fender

Drivers side above headlight

Passenger side above headlight, here is where it is close again

Alignment along front of fenders

Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Posting Guru

Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.Firekite has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmontex4 View Post
Is there a way to get the hood to sit a 1/4" higher? My bump stops are frozen in place
Kroil, either tradition or in a spray can. Might have to give it several treatments over a couple of days to really get in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pop loose damn near immediately.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
It looks like the whole hood needs to be moved towards the cowl.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Posting Guru

jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
Looks the same to me
1977 F-150 4" lift 35/12.50-15 6 year project almost complete
Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
I think your going to need to spend a afternoon doing some adjustments
to it. The thing that sucks about hoods is you have to open so often while
you are making all the tiny adjustments that you can get frustrated (I know I do).
I would also check the fender placement just to be sure it's right.

Sean
P.S. I'll try and think on some ideas. I am really tired and can't sleep.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Bank Account Liquidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
I think your going to need to spend a afternoon doing some adjustments
to it. The thing that sucks about hoods is you have to open so often while
you are making all the tiny adjustments that you can get frustrated (I know I do).
I would also check the fender placement just to be sure it's right.

Sean
P.S. I'll try and think on some ideas. I am really tired and can't sleep.
Yeah guess what im doing this weekend lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
Wouldn't moving the hood backwards make it contact the grille worse? because the hood curves down at the end so moving it towards the cab would make it hit higher up on the grille?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Bank Account Liquidator

So I went to adjust my hood yesterday and I had been soaking the bump stops and of course one broke but is still in there, I ordered two more and will hopefully have them by the end of the week. I tried the washer trick and it seemed to work well except the drivers side of the grille still comes fairly close. A few years back a tree barely missed the truck and put quite a few dings in the hood so I'm thinking it might have gotten hit there but ill see what I can do I guess. Currently I put 1/4" of washers between each screw on the rod. Also saw and Excursion at work the other day and as I was walking by I could tell that my hood needs to come closer to the cowl so Ill be adjusting it hopefully finally next weekend.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

Good to hear that your getting somewhere with it.
If you end up making some odd part please post a photo.
WE like photos.

Sean
Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Bank Account Liquidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Good to hear that your getting somewhere with it.
If you end up making some odd part please post a photo.
WE like photos.

Sean
Will do Is there an easy way to remove the bump stops other than breaking them out lol? I tried two small flat heads in the indents on the sides but it didn't seem to work that well.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Post Fiend

If you can get to the back side with a needle nose you may
be able to compress the clips.

Sean
Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 AM
New User

farkus888 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where did you source your replacement standoffs? The ones in my 03 are bound up and set at the wrong height so I'd like to replace them.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
If it makes you feel better, my hood does it too. Even with the stops adjusted up a ways.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Bank Account Liquidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkus888 View Post
Where did you source your replacement standoffs? The ones in my 03 are bound up and set at the wrong height so I'd like to replace them.
I got them from Tousley which is now under a new name. I had talked to them previously and they said what they thought I was looking for was item #8 on the diagram linked:2004 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts) . 5 bucks each aint bad IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
If it makes you feel better, my hood does it too. Even with the stops adjusted up a ways.
Does make me feel kinda better lol I thought i was the only one. Only reason i really care is that its rubbing the paint off the hood and starting to rust in the corner again. Also Im thinking of swaping to a painted grille and i dont want the paint chipping off.

Another thing that is kinda weird is now with the washers under the striker it takes no effort at all to pull the hood release handle inside the cab. I'm use to having to give it some force, is that normal?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM