6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

H&S Firmware Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM
O&G
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H&S Firmware Update

Updated my tuner a few weeks ago and noticed the truck seems to be running stronger at low RPMs. They did cut the boost down considerably. I went from 35 - 36 psi on the performance setting to 26 - 27 after the firmware update.

6.7.33 June 17, 2013 – Internal firmware updates (NO tuning changes)

6.7.32 April 30, 2013 – P0245 adjusted for C&C trucks

6.7.31 April 11, 2013 – Street tuner firmware updated for internal MCC checks (1031), Injection timing modifications for increased efficiency, Turbo calibration parameters modified to relieve stress on stock turbo, Turbo boost thresholds raised to achieve a wider range of variance around desired boost, Gear position display modified to work fully while in Tow/Haul, Fuel injection thresholds modified to combat low rail pressure on aggressive tuning levels

LINK:
Tuner Version and Software History Log | Diesel Performance Tuners

Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm running .32. I rarely hit my 28 psi defuel now, kinda nice not having to worry about the weak turbo as much. Definite loss of power WOT I noticed.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Ya, lots of people are complaining about it but I like it.
Not so twitchy, better smoother power for daily driver stuff IMHO.

H&S wrote this in resopnse to some of the complaints which I thought was good:

Thank you guys for your feedback!

We are intently listening to all the reports, and hope to be able to please as many as possible with our updates. Unfortunately what we think is best for your vehicle may sometimes not be what you think you want!

A little explanation on why we changed what we changed: On the 2011 and 2012 Powerstroke, we have seen numerous turbo failures from overworking it. This has left many stranded, and can even result in engine damage due to shrapnel discharged from the turbo when it fails. For this reason we thought it best to return the turbo control mapping back to a near OEM conditions. We understand that you may see lower boost numbers, and perhaps a little difference in the "feel" of the pedal.

Rest assured that we believe the latest tuning is capable of the same peak power values as the previous tuning (no fueling characteristics were changed). It is just the "feel" that you are noticing that is different when under partial throttle conditions. The previous tuning would cause the variable turbo to drastically speed up on a small acceleration, causing an almost spring loaded feeling to the truck. I personally hated the inconsistent and almost surging feeling it presented. As most would drive this, yes they feel it was making more power at that particular throttle position. Why? Well, the fueling control system on the EDC17 ECM is largely based on air monitoring. When the turbo is spinning at such a high rate it will, of course, move more air. Based on this increase in air, the engine will fuel slightly harder to achieve the desired air/fuel mixture it is trying to achieve. So yes, at a partial throttle, your truck may have felt a little "peppier". But the full throttle (peak HP) capabilities of the vehicle should not be changed with the new tuning.

We feel the benefits of being safer on the turbo system far outweigh the potential danger of obtaining a little "throttle response".

As far as EGTs...
It is quite common to see over 1450 degrees while running an aggressive tune on a 2011-2012 Powerstroke. From H&S, defuel levels are set at what we feel is a very safe level. To get the MOST out of performance, you may need to raise those defuel levels.

During our testing we intentionally run vehicles HOT on many engine parameters to test the limits of hardware. This can be anything from intake air temperatures to Coolant temperatures to Exhaust gas temperatures, etc. I personally have taken my 2011 Ford to over 1900 degrees on the metered exhaust gas temperature with no ill results.

I may get some heat for this one (time for debate!), but: For the most part, gauges are merely a novelty item and a diagnostics tool. Using gauges to avoid damage to an engine under normal circumstances is something that I don't believe is even possible for 99% of diesel truck owners. Seeing 5-10 temperatures and using a human's limited real time data processing capabilities, will never exceed the capabilities of a network of computers processing thousands of input sensors and calculated values and knowing how they interact with each other. The factory control systems are designed to remedy any failure or diagnostics problem in a matter of milliseconds, and are much more accurate than anything we could ever attempt to replicate by watching a few basic temperatures and pressures.

I know the diesel community has been convinced that gauges will somehow make your truck's performance "safer", but I fail to make that connection. Tell me the exact EGT where damage is done? You can't. There are many other variables that come into combination with EGT that will contribute to engine failure (cylinder pressure, injection timing, coolant temperature, ambient temperatures/pressure, injector duration, where your temperature reading is being taken, latency and accuracy on readings, etc).
Where do gauges come in handy?
1. If your truck is exhibiting a problem that needs diagnosis, the gauges can tell you a lot about what is happening and save you a trip to a dealer to use their scan tool.
2. Full race vehicles that need data logging each pass down the track. This helps greatly in tune adjustment and product performance assessments.
3. Custom tune data logging to report back vital information for tuning adjustments.

We sell thousands of XRT Pro units (no gauge monitoring), and we have seen NO relation between a hardware failure (head gasket, transmission, turbo, piston, etc) on a truck and running no gauges. Drive it like you respect it and the truck will return the favor.

Rant off, just some pieces of information we have learned over years of product support and customer feedback. We will continue to watch your feedback and use it to gauge whether we feel the tuning needs to be modified or not. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine came with .30 and I upgraded it to .33 before installing. So I've only run with .33

I'm not after a whole lot more power so I don't mind they backed off the boost. I actually had thought I'd always leave it at stock setting but that went out the window after, oh, about 1 mile.

In any case, I have to say the whole deal has greatly exceeded my expectations. It is really good. Well done H&S.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM
O&G
Junior User
I'm all for the changes H&S made. I'd rather not blow a turbo on my truck.... I have a race car for that!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:43 AM
spook222
Senior User
My truck IS my race car . Still have the .23 installed. Not sure i can willingly give up power. Love the H&S

Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spook222
My truck IS my race car . Still have the .23 installed. Not sure i can willingly give up power. Love the H&S

I completely agree. I'm not giving up any power over a possible turbo failure.

If the turbo blows, guess chit happens.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM
jdenny21
Senior User
Can you revert to an older update (ie: V.23) if you do not have it saved? Is there anywhere to find this?

Also, in what update version was the "safety precautions" introduced? I'm currently running .29 and am curious if these lower boost levels were already implemented before or w/ version .29.

Thanks,
JD

Old 07-07-2013, 02:05 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JD,

You'll have to find someone that has saved a previous version. I have the 6.4 and have saved every version I could in separate folders on my desktop just in case something goes wacky with H&S.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have .19 and have no plans to update any further.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jdenny21
Can you revert to an older update (ie: V.23) if you do not have it saved? Is there anywhere to find this?

Also, in what update version was the "safety precautions" introduced? I'm currently running .29 and am curious if these lower boost levels were already implemented before or w/ version .29.

Thanks,
JD
Think it was .31 they lowered the boost, how much boost are you hitting?

I have .21 and .26 saved on my USB stick.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it okay to send the files to other people? If so, I would be happy to version control all the files so we have a working archive of all the software builds. I plan on getting a HS shortly!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,037 Likes on 2,206 Posts
dropbox people...I have a folder set up. I only have v.28 in it, but if you want to contribute, PM me and I'll share the folder with you.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I have BLACK MAXX V.8,9,10,11,14,16,17,24,28 and 29 but that's not gonna help any of you MINI's

Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,037 Likes on 2,206 Posts
Darren felt the need to compensate...

Quick Reply: H&S Firmware Update