Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Gary Lewis

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Elder User

Jesser02EX has a good reputation on FTE.Jesser02EX has a good reputation on FTE.Jesser02EX has a good reputation on FTE.
Anyone in Tulsa pulled your HPOP?

I'm in Broken Arrow and looking to put new O-rings in my HPOP, rebuild my fuel bowl, new oil lines etc... Being new to the 7.3 I'm looking for a little guidance. I'm happy to do what I can to pay for your time, I just can't afford to pay parts and labor to a mechanic right now and need to get it fixed.

Thanks!
2002 Excursion Limited 4x4 w/ 7.3L; 3" lift, '04 18" Factory Rims; Ranch Hand front bumper, custom roof basket; Ford AIS; 4" Diamond Eye turbo back; bellowed; RR 6/6 billet wheel; AIH delete; EBPV Delete; FRx, CAT ELC; Coolant Filter
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Posting Guru

RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.
RAY.CECIL3
I don't know what an HPOP is, but it sounds a little dirty when you say it like that. lol. Anyways, if you figure out how to do it i would be more than happy to help you out if I can find the time. Send me a private message if you need some help and i will try to make some time for you. I'd like to learn what an HPOP is lol.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Posting Guru

jwtimme is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
High pressure oil pump. It's the oil pump that drives the injectors on a power stroke. I have never pulled mine cause I cannot afford to have the work truck down for very long.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Elder User

Jesser02EX has a good reputation on FTE.Jesser02EX has a good reputation on FTE.Jesser02EX has a good reputation on FTE.
I wouldn't be pulling mine if I didn't have a leak. All the shops seem to just pull it and replace it. I'm not sure what I'm getting in to, but it seems plenty on here have done it, and I can use the saved money for other items...
2002 Excursion Limited 4x4 w/ 7.3L; 3" lift, '04 18" Factory Rims; Ranch Hand front bumper, custom roof basket; Ford AIS; 4" Diamond Eye turbo back; bellowed; RR 6/6 billet wheel; AIH delete; EBPV Delete; FRx, CAT ELC; Coolant Filter
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Posting Guru

Let me guess the HPOP o ring is prob leaking, I have had the o ring replaced twice now.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Elder User

Yes I have a leak somewhere in the HPOP, not from the oil lines, but either the non-servicable plug or the IPR.
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtimme View Post
Let me guess the HPOP o ring is prob leaking, I have had the o ring replaced twice now.
A couple of questions... Exactly which o-ring was replaced? Where did you have the work done and how much was the service bill?
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Posting Guru

There is an o ring on the exit side of the pump that splits or fails causing a leak. Joe copper ford has done most of my service work I don't remember what it cost but can look it up later.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Elder User

That sounds like the "non-servicable" plug o-ring.

The factory plug doesn't have a lot of threads and is prone to leaking. You have to pull the pump out to replace the plug and O-ring. To pull the HPOP you also need to pull the fuel bowl...

It's all bolt in and bolt off so I'm not going into the motor. I know I can do it, but having anyone who has experienced it would be a nice addition for the job.

Because its a diesel and because its a common failure, the prices seem to be much higher at the dealerships and repair shops...
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Posting Guru

I pulled my tickets and I must have had it done under warranty cause the labor and parts just said zero, so that no help at all.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Elder User

Ok thanks!
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Post Fiend

Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
I haven't pulled a HPOP on a 7.3, but I have had the fuel bowl/filter housing off a couple during fuel pump changes.
There are about 6 total fuel lines that connect to the bowl, 2 threaded fittings front/top, and the rest are hose clamps. 3 of these clamps are towards the bottom of the housing, so a long screwdriver or socket & extension are helpful. Also has 2 electrical plugs to undo.
Once that housing is removed, it appears access to the HPOP is pretty easy, as is the fuel pump.

You might be surprised at what can be hidden at the bottom of that filter housing. I've found as much as 1.5" of crud built up down there, on a truck that actually ran decent, most of the time........

Hope this helps, at least a bit.
1984 CRX 35 MPG go kart
1995 Mazda B2300 (undercover Ford)
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Elder User

The fuel pump on a 7.3 is mounted on the frame rail under the driver. The fuel bowl coming out isn't my fear is sucking out the oil from the HPOP resivoir so I limit the mess I make. I'm also scared I'll have issues with the drive nut on the front of shaft...

I'll just have to dive in and take it one bolt at a time. I did buy a complete set of ford shop manuals so that will have some good factory help...
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Post Fiend

Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX View Post
The fuel pump on a 7.3 is mounted on the frame rail under the driver. The fuel bowl coming out isn't my fear is sucking out the oil from the HPOP resivoir so I limit the mess I make. I'm also scared I'll have issues with the drive nut on the front of shaft...

I'll just have to dive in and take it one bolt at a time. I did buy a complete set of ford shop manuals so that will have some good factory help...
Early 7.3 PSD used a mechanical pump, located in the valley, between the fuel bowl and turbo. I didn't notice what year you are working on......
1984 CRX 35 MPG go kart
1995 Mazda B2300 (undercover Ford)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Elder User

Ah, ok. I've looked at pics of the older mechanical 7.3's.
That was a very tight valley in those motors...
Oklahoma Chapter FTE
Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter