1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

In case you were wondering, the drivers side intercooler pipe will fit backward... ask me how I know

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In case you were wondering, the drivers side intercooler pipe will fit backward... ask me how I know

Last week I installed bellowed up pipes, plenum inserts, and Riffraff boots on my Wifes Excursion. It all came apart pretty easy, I guess I should have taken pictures of it before taking it apart
I did the work over 3 days since I am on vacation right now.
When I went to clean up the pipes since they were filthy, before reassembly, I took the old boots off and thought to my self, "I should mark what end goes where, then quickly dismissed that thinking, eh, it will only fit one way."
Well that it true of the passenger side tube, it will only fit one way. The drivers side, well I had trimmed some of the foil back on both ends since the Riffraff boots are a little longer then the factory ones. I was having some issues getting the S&B intake air box back in, since I had taken it out because I had to both high pressure power steering/ brake hydro boost lines that had rubbed together and were leaking.
I ended up taking the intake snorkel off the air box (one bolt) and moving my fuse for the alternator secondary charge line to the lid.
Here are some pictures of the way it is now. It was a total pain to top off the power steering pump.

I didn't like how close the tube was to the pump pulley, but it can't hit it.

Or how close the pipe is to the wires on the alternator.

As I was uploading the pictures to Photobucket I looked through the folder and was smacked up side the head when I looked at my pictures from my alternator install earlier this year, I guess that is why you take pictures, right?
That is when the tone of this thread went from asking for help to more of a comic relief and a general FYI. As I was looking through them, all my questions have been answered as to what I did wrong.

So learn from my mistakes people, I will be pulling it all back apart as soon as it cools back off, since my Wife took off with it and got it all hot, back to the shop it goes. Should be a quick fix though. Since I know what not to do now.

As a good side, it ran great and builds more boost now and drives much easier, it got this for mileage on a 400+ mile journey on just over a 1/4 tank

That is running 65 mph, at 75 it still gets 18mpg which is pretty respectable for a lifted truck with 35's.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm going to blame this all on Clay. The factory boots aren't long enough to allow it to be installed backwards, but that long boot on the bottom appears to be what have you the room.

It does look like the tube might be easier to install that way. Since the stock position has a dent in the tube for the steering pump, I'd consider denting the tube at the steering pulley and alternator if you decide to leave it like that.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
I pulled it back into the shop tonight and swapped the pipe end for end. It took me about 10 minutes to do. I almost fell off the bumper of the truck though since I had to drive it on the lift to work on it. (I put it up on it to check all the fasteners on the exhaust I put on last week) The hood was head high before I opened it. I ended up standing on my Job Box that had most of my tools in it to get high enough to see to work on it. I was surprised how much oil was on the boots all ready, I wiped them off and the ends of the tubes off, then installed and clamped them down. I pulled the grill and did the Zoodad mod on it too since I put the snorkel back on the S&B air box too. I then took it out and let it idle to get up to temp. while I cleaned up my mess, t and then "ran the quarter" just of the street from my In laws house and back. It is a true quarter mile and I was running 95 mph when I let off at the marker on the side of the road. (It shifted to 4th at 80 and was building speed fast) I was grinning from ear to ear, man that thing moves for a big truck..
I told my Father in Law that I had to run it hard to make sure the boots were going to stay... If it stayed through that it was good

Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Good job on lining up the clamps. Did you get the 4 T-bolts for the lower spider boots?

I've done the IC tube enough times that one glance at the tube and it just looked "foreign". That's a quick fix (with well-worn boots like mine have become).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
This was my first voyage under the hood deeper then a water or power steering pump. I learned plenty this trip and don't think I will ever have this issue again. Yes I got the T-bolt clamps for all of the boots. I wish the one for the inter cooler side of the boot was just a little longer, as it requires me to take the nut off the clamp to get it large enough to slide over the boot when installed. Other then that issue it is a great product.
I thought for a brief moment that I was going to pull the valve covers while I was that far in, but common sense prevailed and I was able to ignore that urge until the truck gives me a reason to venture beneath. I even brought my inch pound torque wrench with me after reading your tales of bouncy injectors.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Nssan, looking at that pic, I fairly confident that the cc i sold last year had that pipe put back on backwards...by me when it was sold. I had been in the VCs several times for various reasons and i remember thinking it was close but never went back to it