Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Senior User

garydmundy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.garydmundy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
4x4 front wheel bearings-lubrication

I just replaced both front wheel bearings (166,000 mi) because I had to replace a bad all joint and I was there. I was kind of mad that I had to buy the whole bearing/hub so I decided to tear the old one apart and see why you could not replace the bearing only.

First, the small roller bearing that you can easily see as most of you know is not the wheel bearing but the axil support bearing. It is removable and you can easily get a new one and install it yourself (Torrington part # B-2110) The large nut holding down the wheel bearing is a Bitc#$% to get off but it can be done. Under that is the top of the wheel bearing which has the manufacture and the part number on it plus a warning. With a hammer and punch, I got the metal top off the bearing. It had a o-ring under it that sealed it. Under that was a rubber gasket that further sealed the bearing. At that point, I had to use a cutting torch to cut the hub in two. There are two rows of bearings and the bottom is also sealed.
My point of all this is to tell people that filling up the hub with grease through the vacuum port WILL NOT GREASE THE WHEEL BEARING, it will only grease the axil support bearing. This bearing is double sealed (0-ring plus rubber gasket). This would be like putting grease on the outside of our sealed u-joints and expecting the grease to lube the bearings. I also wonder how much resistance all that grease makes when the temp. are very low.
Oh, yes these bearings are not serviceable in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Elder User

01PS is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are correct. The point of the removable zerk is to grease the needle bearings.

01 F250 7.3L 4X4 Lariat EC SB
4" Turbo back - Trans/Pyro/Boost/Fuel Pressure - HD4R100 - 6.0L Trans Cooler - DP Tuner - No EBPV - Cold AC - Foil delete - AIH delete - Bellowed Up-Pipes - CCV - S&B Intake - Billet Plenums - Boots - OCR - FRX - HPX - AutoE
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Elder User

bakerbuilttracks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very true..... I have unplugged my vac line to my hubs and installed a zerk for Lubing the axel carrier bearing. And every 10k I pull my abs sensor and install the grease fitting I bought from clay at RR to lube the actual wheel bearings. Not entirely sure if the grease through the abs sensor reaches the wheel bearings but when I removed the sensor the first time I noticed a lot of grease down in the hole.

Some say that this method will reach the wheel bearings for sure. But I am not certain it will. Can you see from what you torched in half if you pumped grease in there it would reach the wheel bearings ?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Elder User

lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just my $.02 but I am going to disagree as I also pulled a failed front bearing hub apart without having to torch anything and took pics of it disassembled. You can view those pics in my profile in one of my albums. The ABS opening is in the middle of the inner and outer main bearings. This opening is directly over the 'gear wheel' that the ABS sensor looks at and I do not think there is anything else separating the two main bearings. Therefore the grease can work itself to either bearing.
2002, F250, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CC, SB, Gold Superchip plugin, AIS Air Intake, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter & Dahl Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, 4" MBRP Turbo back, Warren Hubs, GP LED Light, Edge CTS Monitor, AE/PC Laptop, Chevron Delo HD ELC. 6.0 Tranny Cooler,
2004, Stock Ford Navigator.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior User

garydmundy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.garydmundy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IHUD, I do believe you are mistaken. The vacuum port is not located in the wheel bearing hub assembly, it is located in the assembly that supports the upper and lower ball joints. The wheel bearing assembly bolts to this support but it is not part of it. When you cut the wheel bearing assembly in half, you can see that the grease you would get by using the vacuum port would only go around the top of the bearing. Just because the vacuum port is located roughly where the middle of the wheel bearing is, the bearing is still sealed and grease cannot get into it. It is sealed 360 degrees in all directions.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Elder User

bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.
When you say "vaccuum port" are you referring to the ABS sensor hole?

02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 148K, 285's, AIS, Isspro
pyro, boost & tranny temp, EV2 FP & HPOP, DiPricol coolant temp,Dieselsite coolant & tranny filters, 6.0 cooler, ITP in tank mod, AE, GPR LED & Stancor, Bellowed UpPipes, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Junior User

DaveCinIN is starting off with a positive reputation.
The vacuum port and the ABS sensor location are 2 different places. The grease goes in the ABS location after the sensor is removed.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydmundy View Post
I believe someone in this thread is confused.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Elder User

lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree Pop. I only mentioned the ABS sensor opening is where we add the grease and as seen in my pics it is centered on the two main inner/outer bearings.
2002, F250, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CC, SB, Gold Superchip plugin, AIS Air Intake, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter & Dahl Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, 4" MBRP Turbo back, Warren Hubs, GP LED Light, Edge CTS Monitor, AE/PC Laptop, Chevron Delo HD ELC. 6.0 Tranny Cooler,
2004, Stock Ford Navigator.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Elder User

bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.
I am still confused if the OP is mistakenly referring to the ABS hole as the vacuum port, or if he is thinking we put grease in the vacuum port.

02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 148K, 285's, AIS, Isspro
pyro, boost & tranny temp, EV2 FP & HPOP, DiPricol coolant temp,Dieselsite coolant & tranny filters, 6.0 cooler, ITP in tank mod, AE, GPR LED & Stancor, Bellowed UpPipes, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydmundy View Post
My point of all this is to tell people that filling up the hub with grease through the vacuum port WILL NOT GREASE THE WHEEL BEARING, it will only grease the axil support bearing.
{snip}
OK, you do it your way, then.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Senior User

puller45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
OK, you do it your way, then.

Pop
Some things just ain't worth arguing about. A man convinced against his will is a non-believer still.

2003 F250 SD,C/CSB, 444 PSD, Auto, 4x4, xlt, Lariat
Edge juice with attitude, Factory Tech vb, 4" turbo back, Muffler delete, Fog light mod, Rough Country dual steering stabilizer, Rear Air Lift bags, Front shackle lift, AIS air from Riffraff, Sinister in tank kit, harpoon mod, Bilsteins all around, more to come.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel