Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

JULY 2013, TENNESSEE Chat and yackin' about all kinds of stuff thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some lemon grass in my herb garden....makes all your dishes wonderfully zingy, but I'm not sure how it will work as a surface grass. It grows like small islands of pampas grass. I have a citronella plant in my flower garden just outside the back door---I grab a leaf or two and rub it on my neck and arms if I'm going to be outside for any length of time. It's no cure-all but it helps.

It's been a busy Tuesday.

Wolf, try some of these ideas and see if they help your computer run a bit better:

Free security software to protect your PC from malware - Kim's Security Center - The Kim Komando Radio Show® & Web site

Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well now - I now have a dozen bottles of soda water in the house. A neighbor lady was going out to shop today, so I handed her a twenty and told her to keep her eyes peeled...

*Same one I demo'd the light beer trick to

She found two liter bottles of it at Walgreens for 79 cents each!

HOO-RAH! The price busters strike again!!!

I may check out that site, but I have tried fixes like that before and ended up in worse shape than when I started
UPDATE: Oh yeah, I see who it is, and what it is. AVG was a big part of the problem, and to this day I am not sure I have managed to get their crap out of this machine. It was VERY hard to uninstall - as persistent as what it supposedly prevented. I also have old out-dated store bought copies of most of the others.

If the cure is worse than the disease I will not go there

NEW NEWS: I just got my new Fedora, an Indiana Jones Collection repro of the one seen in Indy and the Last Crusade.

IT FITS PERFECTLY! I can already tell it will be the most comfortable hat I have ever owned
*God help whoever tries to snake this one away from me....

I sent Fedora's dot com a congratulatory E-Mail, thanking them and explaining the story. I once had one like it when I was living in the barracks at what was then NAVAL Air Station Miramar, and I have no idea what happened to it. Presumably someone decided they liked it. Since then things have gone up and very far down - but this is the beginning of a complete restoration of who I am once and for all. I felt it was necessary to have an item of headgear that truly expresses me and everything I have been about. I believe this "TOPPER" says it all!

~Dutch

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
I see that Mother Earth News and raise you a GRIT Magazine....

Hope you get your computer problems squared away. Nice hat, too. I like to wear hats, but most people give you funny looks if you are wearing anything other than a baseball cap. I don't like baseball caps----only wear them when I go golfing, which isn't very often anymore.

Hope everyone has a GREAT Wednesday. It's gonna be a WET next 3 days here....glad I got my planting done last night.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afternoon Mac, THeo and Dutch!!!

Hey Dutch, I will be sending you a PM in a little bit.... Look out for it!!!!!

-THe Great

Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'll be watching for it then.

Today I somehow managed to volunteer myself to teach my neighbors about how to grow their own food. Down the street a ways, it is already happening - but immediately next door they have a fence that faces directly south - and the sun reflecting off of it with the right soil conformation I have always felt would produce the most magnificent vegetables that anyone around here has ever seen.

In that interest - I have started a pot full of my heritage giant tomatos specifically for this project. Seven seeds, planted in a star pattern, in about a twenty four inch container.
Those seeds came from one of the tomatos that was impressive last year

~The more, the merrier!

When you can have better produce than from a store, and have the land available - it is a shame indeed to waste such an opportunity

MAC: I see your GRIT - and raise you a DRAGIBUS Magazine! (Medicinal Herbs)

~ I have coltsfoot succesfully spreading out now in the U.K. area of my main garden. It is used for congestion relief, and strange as it may seem you smoke the stuff to clear your lungs out...

It is a very old time remedy

Every so often I go and pick a leaf, allowing it to slowly dry in the kitchen. The latin name is Tussilago Farfara
So far, it seems to tolerate our hot climate, and there is no fear of it being killed off in the winter months, it is common to the United Kingdom where from what I have read it grows all over the place.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
You have PM my friend!

-THe Great

Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I should warn you about DRAGIBUS magazine - it may read to some like "HIGH TIMES"or the like - but it may warn you away from hazardous substances

Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Dutch, your Lemon Grass seeds arrive yet?

-The Great

Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Not yet.

I will also tell you this though -

If you put a router ahead of your PC, all an attacker can see is an empty connection.
They read the back end of the router, and it stops right there

The router will not pass any intrusion on - I used that in California, and had it checked by a service online.

They congratulated me, because my connection appeared to be a "BLACKHOLE"

(NOTHING THERE)

~ and I still have that router, I just lack the wire to hook it up

SO much for AVG and all the rest of the crap that will ultimately slow your PC down and interfere with it.

Become invisible in that way - it works better

I even have an old copy of "BLACK ICE" - the firewall designed by hackers themselves....
The prob with that was that it ignored NOTHING - and idented EVERYTHING (even friendly) so it kept you too busy to do anything

*IT DID however rate the severity of threats, and trace them back to an IP

It could give you names of adversaries

I don't want to install THAT because I have a better way, and I don't want to be kept busy like that.

It may have improved - there are new versions available

But unless you are a hacker yourself - you just don't want to bother with it

If you need a firewall like that - you are screwing around where you should not be - and pissing people off who can PROGRAM

*word*

Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Old 07-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I just got awakened by a fuzzy silliness...

A portable commotion crashed onto my bed.

"Heff, heff, heff!!!" she said, and I said "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" When I knew better...

"Heff Heff Heff!" and stuck her tongue in my ear...

"GET AWAY FROM ME! You don't know me that well...."

"Heff, Heff, Wuff!" she said, and proceded to pound on the mattress as she scratched herself.

"I'm telling you - GET AWAY FROM ME!" I said, as I grabbed her and held her close to pet her fuzzy fur.

"HEFF HEFF!" she agreed, as we snuggled for a few moments.

"I know what you want, I guess there is no way out of this...."

"Heff, WUFF!"

~And so I led Woola to the door so she could go out and do what puppies do in the morning.

She's a funny little kiddo, and very expressive

Bitchezzz I swear... Always after me to have their own way

PS: The Ray Charles version of that was the version we always played at Retirement Ceremonies at Namtra in Norfolk. NONE BETTER!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I've got to say again Dutch, thanks for your service to our country. We can celebrate Independence Day because of folk like you!

Otherwise we would be slaves to the English, Germans, Japanese, maybe Russians. Hopefully we can hold off the Chinese. They aren't fighting like other nations.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you can read this in English, thank a serviceman!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Anybody heard from Neal lately?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
have not heard from Neal, but he said earlier that he has started to do some farming/gardening and ia constantly on the go. I'm guessing he checks in occasionally to make sure we haven't completely corrupted the place.

Currently on my second favorite concoction:

16 oz. glass filled with ice
2 jiggers of spiced rum (using " Calico Jack No. 94" this time)
Fill the rest of the glass with Cherry Coke Zero

After about 3 of these, nothing really bothers me.....

Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
I simply LOVE the Ray Charles version of America The Beautiful.

Looks like the rain is about to commence once again, so I guess the burgers will be done inside, rather than on the grill.

Hope everyone has a GREAT Thursday!

Quick Reply: JULY 2013, TENNESSEE Chat and yackin' about all kinds of stuff thread...