Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Mysterious black box

Hi all,
I have just had an installer fit an alarm system to the F250.

While under the dash we discovered a small black box
labeled DB Power X Monitor.

The guy I bought the truck off never mentioned it and there is
no paperwork for it.

Checked DB Power's web site and the only XMonitor info I can
find is about a digital gauge system.
I have no gauges so I have no idea what this thing does.

Anyone able to enlighten me?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 AM
ChunderDownUnder's Avatar
ChunderDownUnder ChunderDownUnder is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Man Cave
Posts: 2,048
ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Went to the site and brought up the X monitor. Go to the download section there and have a look at the install pdf. Pics and all. Should be able to check out if its the one. Do you have a pyro in one of your manifolds ??? Or a plug where one was ???
__________________
Brian
03 F250 XLT LB . Full Engine build with all the goodies.
- cant wait until my motor blows so I can blame someone else -
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder View Post
Went to the site and brought up the X monitor. Go to the download section there and have a look at the install pdf. Pics and all. Should be able to check out if its the one. Do you have a pyro in one of your manifolds ??? Or a plug where one was ???
Brian,
That's the box alright.
I will get under and see if there is any sign of the sensors.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chased the Xmonitor.
There is a thermocouple screwed into the turbo outlet.
As this is not ideal I will drill the manifold and insert my
new one there for the analogue gauge I have bought.

There was a black hose with a screw jammed in the end.
It seems to have broken of the Xmonitor box.
Chased that back and it is tee'ed into a line and from
looking at pics on the web it appears to be a boost gauge line.
The tee piece looks like a cheap piece of plasitic crap that I
will replace with a decent brass fitting and then get a boost
gauge installed.

There was a green wire pluged into the box input marked "sensor".
I chased that and it goes into a large loom that heads to the back
of the truck.
I will need to finish chasing it to see where it ends up.
There is no signe of any temp sensor on the tranny or any pressure
sensor anywhere on the fuel line under the truck so I can't figure
where the wire might be attached.

Anyway I have removed the Xmonitor as there is no display unit
in the truck.
Called the previous owner and he did not even know it was there.
Most have been fitted before he bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 AM
SSSimon SSSimon is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 1,088
SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Another method with the boost gauge is to do the AIH delete mod and buy a AIH delete plug with 1/4" NPT port. A barb fitting can then we screwed into the AIH delete plug to run the boost gauge.
You can then just put a brass barb joiner back into your stock line - which I presume is the one going to the waste-gate controller.

If you're going to do the EBPV delete you can get the 'high-flow' turbo outlet to replace the EBPV outlet & thereby get rid of the PO's thermacouple hole.

On the good side, at least the PO's PO was monitoring EGT & so your turbo is probably in better knick now for their care.
__________________
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSimon View Post
Another method with the boost gauge is to do the AIH delete mod and buy a AIH delete plug with 1/4" NPT port. A barb fitting can then we screwed into the AIH delete plug to run the boost gauge.
You can then just put a brass barb joiner back into your stock line - which I presume is the one going to the waste-gate controller.

If you're going to do the EBPV delete you can get the 'high-flow' turbo outlet to replace the EBPV outlet & thereby get rid of the PO's thermacouple hole.

On the good side, at least the PO's PO was monitoring EGT & so your turbo is probably in better knick now for their care.
The AIH delete is on the to-do list so I will go with the ported
delete plug, it's a neater option.
Likewise the EBPV is destined for the scrap heap. Intend buying the
replacement turbo pedestal and high flow outlet.
There are a few other things to be done before that lot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 AM
SSSimon SSSimon is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 1,088
SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Personally, the only things I would recommend doing before the AIH delete and the EBPV delete is ordering the parts!

OK, gauges 'might' have a higher priority, but the above mods are like removing (unnecessary for Australia) plumbing obstructions - i.e. to save fuel, lower temps, less mechanical stresses, improved reliability, more POWER, all for about $400.

The AIH delete takes about 15 minutes.

The high-flow turbo outlet takes a bit longer, maybe 4 to 5 hours. There is the risk though of upsetting the donut gaskets in the up-pipes and causing a leak. So when doing the high-flow turbo outlet and EBPV delete (turbo removal) it would be worthwhile also changing over to the IH bellowed up-pipes at the same time (sorry just spent another $800 of your money there)... Don't ask me how I know.

Lets just say that it took me 2 goes to get it right (yes, I tried to defer the $800 IH uppie cost into the boss's next accounting period).
__________________
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSimon View Post
Personally, the only things I would recommend doing before the AIH delete and the EBPV delete is ordering the parts!

OK, gauges 'might' have a higher priority, but the above mods are like removing (unnecessary for Australia) plumbing obstructions - i.e. to save fuel, lower temps, less mechanical stresses, improved reliability, more POWER, all for about $400.

The AIH delete takes about 15 minutes.

The high-flow turbo outlet takes a bit longer, maybe 4 to 5 hours. There is the risk though of upsetting the donut gaskets in the up-pipes and causing a leak. So when doing the high-flow turbo outlet and EBPV delete (turbo removal) it would be worthwhile also changing over to the IH bellowed up-pipes at the same time (sorry just spent another $800 of your money there)... Don't ask me how I know.

Lets just say that it took me 2 goes to get it right (yes, I tried to defer the $800 IH uppie cost into the boss's next accounting period).
Mate,
that whole job is over $900 Australian plus freight!
The missus will have a fit.
I know it's logical to do it all at once, don't want to be pulling it
down repeatedly doing each bit one at a time.
I will have to slowly accumulate each part till I have it all ready to
go in one hit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
ChunderDownUnder's Avatar
ChunderDownUnder ChunderDownUnder is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Man Cave
Posts: 2,048
ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Im with Simon on this one bro. Once you get in behind that turbo and try to get those up pipes of you will dreading the reversal when its time to put it back in. It is a real PITA and you will be screaming. "why didnt I listen to Simon"
__________________
Brian
03 F250 XLT LB . Full Engine build with all the goodies.
- cant wait until my motor blows so I can blame someone else -
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder View Post
Im with Simon on this one bro. Once you get in behind that turbo and try to get those up pipes of you will dreading the reversal when its time to put it back in. It is a real PITA and you will be screaming. "why didnt I listen to Simon"
Yeah mate, it's not a job I'm looking forward to.
Hours laying on my belly on to of an engine is not going to be fun.
These trucks are not exactly mechanic freindly are they.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Nkelly's Avatar
Nkelly Nkelly is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Steels Creek, Australia
Posts: 780
Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll do up pipes or HPOP or injectors ANYDAY over doing timing chains on a BA XR8
__________________
Bryan.
2005 FORD F250 7.3L, Maxxis BigHorns 35's,16x10 alloy rims,5"Procomp/Icon Vehicle Dynamics lift,AIH Delete,CCV,FRX,HPX, OCR,JW valve body,mag-hytec rear diff cover,Riffraff Billet plenums,Clays ported housing+11 blade comp wheel,Bellowed up-pipes,Garrett turbo outlet,F6 chip,Custom 4" to 5" exhaust,All from clay @ RiffRaff,BD big trans sump,Carpc got the ****,got a IPAD in the dash now
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got the tapped AIH delete plug on it's way from RR.
Have installed LPO pressure, EGT, Tranny temp and
boost gauges into the cab.
As soon as the AIH plug arrives I will get the business
end of the gauges installed along with the oil bypass
filter and auxillary fuel filter.

Got all the bits to do the hutch thing BUT there is an
aftermarket 250 litre fuel tank on the truck
so getting it off to do the job ain't gonna be easy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Nkelly's Avatar
Nkelly Nkelly is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Steels Creek, Australia
Posts: 780
Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie BrianB View Post
Got the tapped AIH delete plug on it's way from RR.
Have installed LPO pressure, EGT, Tranny temp and
boost gauges into the cab.
As soon as the AIH plug arrives I will get the business
end of the gauges installed along with the oil bypass
filter and auxillary fuel filter.

Got all the bits to do the hutch thing BUT there is an
aftermarket 250 litre fuel tank on the truck
so getting it off to do the job ain't gonna be easy.
I got a factory smaller fuel tank we can swap brian if that one is too big for ya mate,im always happy to help the bruvva hood
__________________
Bryan.
2005 FORD F250 7.3L, Maxxis BigHorns 35's,16x10 alloy rims,5"Procomp/Icon Vehicle Dynamics lift,AIH Delete,CCV,FRX,HPX, OCR,JW valve body,mag-hytec rear diff cover,Riffraff Billet plenums,Clays ported housing+11 blade comp wheel,Bellowed up-pipes,Garrett turbo outlet,F6 chip,Custom 4" to 5" exhaust,All from clay @ RiffRaff,BD big trans sump,Carpc got the ****,got a IPAD in the dash now
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Aussie BrianB's Avatar
Aussie BrianB Aussie BrianB is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 196
Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkelly View Post
I got a factory smaller fuel tank we can swap brian if that one is too big for ya mate,im always happy to help the bruvva hood
Thanks for the offer but I just wouldn't feel right burdening you with it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 AM
SSSimon SSSimon is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 1,088
SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I did the Hutch mod on my Long Ranger 270 litre tank. Getting the last of the fuel out to drop the tank was the biggest issue.
As the tank is 270ltrs I didn't bother with the Harpoon mod. I was able to just drop the front half of the tank to get at the fuel pick-up port. Then work from there. It wasn't too bad!
__________________
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trim package name on my 98' f-150? DB Signs Aftermarket Products 0 01-14-2014 10:59 AM
DB Electrical Alternator - from bad to worse bigtexan99 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 33 10-29-2013 07:08 PM
Ford / Navistar Stanadyne IP Model #'s w/HP Ratings - Complete IDI Tuning Info FORDF250HDXLT Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 42 08-25-2013 12:34 AM
DB2 or DB4 Rocketattack Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 10 11-19-2012 11:49 PM
Starter Clicking 02X72 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 12 10-29-2012 04:23 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup