Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Senior User

SCD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mustang II Rack

I am trying to get my steering shaft routed around my headers. I have a Mustang II Front end and a Tbird rack. Is there reason why I cannot shift the rack an inch or two towards the driver’s side of the truck to help get around the headers?
Thanks
Scott
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Elder User

Kurt G. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Moving the rack to either side from center changes toe angle. This may not seem like much but it will change how much inner tie rod shaft and outer tie rod have in contact on threads. Have you looked into the universal knuckles ( don't know what the actual name is) ? Personally I would not shift rack over. Just my 2cents.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Agreed! Don't move the rack, it will change the steering geometry.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Yes, there is a big reason why you should not move the rack. The steering geometry is designed for the rack to be in the exact place for the tie rods to move with the control arms. Altering that will induce bump steer and dangerous driving conditions. Do not move the rack. Move the engine, get different headers, or work with steering linkage, but do not move the rack.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Senior User

Well, I guess that answered that question. Thank you all for your replies.
Scott
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Pictures would help us give you suggestions of what you can do. If the engine and headers fit with the stock box, then the shaft should be able to be routed around. What engine, headers, and column + length are you using?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Posting Guru

tip49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Steering clearances

Once you've got your cross member installed, rough in your steering shaft. My setup clears my exhaust headers by about 1". I modified my left motor mount so that my steering linkage passes through it, with two Borgeson U-joints and a steady bearing off the frame.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
I used a wood dowel rod the same diameter and cut it to make it a double D so it would go in to the U-joints. Mine has a SBC so it is different, but I made my own motor mounts that avoid the steering shaft.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Senior User

I am trying to post some pictures, but I think the ones I have are too large. I will take new ones tonight. What I have is a 56 F100 with a Mustang II front suspension. I have a 4.6 DOHC engine out of a Mark VIII. The steering column is a modified (steering box removed) stock column with a Fordomatic shifter. The headers are Sanderson. The way it sits now, the shaft from the rack is pointing directly at the collector on the header. The collector is heading straight down at that point. The rack shaft is only a few inches from the collector. If I ditch the headers, and use Cobra manifolds the issue goes away. That may be what I have to do.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Senior User

I posted some pictures in my gallery
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
OK, I see your problem. First thing I'd suggest doing is contacting Sanderson. Since this is a relatively new, but gaining in popularity engine, I'm sure they would like to hear about interference issues like this. I have found them to be very responsive and helpful in past dealings, and they may even offer to make you a new header that will clear, or at least be willing to take back the ones that don't fit.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Senior User

AXracer
good idea, I will contact them today. Thanks everyone for your input.
Scott
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
I'd be really interested in hearing what they say.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Senior User

I will let you know.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Senior User

AXracer
I just got a response from Sanderson and they stated "We do not have anything that would work, and our custom build schedule is backed up right now. I spoke to Francisco and he said we could offer you a "kit" where you could have someone build a header for the driver's side. If interested, please call . . ." I asked if I could return the headersa and they said yes! That is the kind of company that I like to deal wiith. I am very impressed with Sanderson and would deal with them again in an instant.

Thanks everyone for their help.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks