Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Senior User

Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question 6.0 intercooler conversion

Is converting the 7.3 intercooler to the 6.0 one worth the effort?
Is there an aftermarket one that does a better job than the 6.0 one?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Depends, it is a better intercooler, and if you are running a tune/higher boost, it's definitely going to drop your temps. I haven't fitted one (my truck is also un-tuned).

There are others that are bigger (I.e. better), but all of them that I have seen are more expensive.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Tossed this one up for a while now. Unless you are tuned to the hilt or are towing 20000pounds I wouldnt worry about it. Are you have EGT issues ?
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Senior User

Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder View Post
Tossed this one up for a while now. Unless you are tuned to the hilt or are towing 20000pounds I wouldnt worry about it. Are you have EGT issues ?
Brian,
Not having any problems at the moment but do intend doing the usual
mods and changing to a PHP tuner.

I'm not after extreeme performance just want respectable performance with 3tonne of caravan behind and a couple of hundred kg in the back of the truck.

I am more interested in reliability and longevity that drag race performance.

I have just found that the 4.2 turb landcruiser was struggling any time I
met an uprade and did not like hauling the van in 40 degree Adelaide summer heat.

I was just wondering if the change of intercooler would be a big help or just a few degrees less EGT for a lot of spanner swinging.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Elder User

Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie BrianB View Post

I was just wondering if the change of intercooler would be a big help or just a few degrees less EGT for a lot of spanner swinging.
In Victoria with the cooler weather most of the time I wouldn't be too fussed,but if I move to mackay I will be putting a bigger intercooler in,most likely the banks intercooler 30% more air flow it also comes with bigger intercooler pipes,colder the air more air flow the better our diesels go..

My Nissan patrol I had with the 4.2 intercooled was a different truck on a cold morning compared too a warm afternoon...

Im a BIG believer in the cold air induction,thats why im busting too get my air filter changed from the cone K&N intake too something else sucking air out of the engine bay is a performance downer I reckon
2005 FORD F250 7.3L, Maxxis BigHorns 35's,16x10 alloy rims,5"Procomp/Icon Vehicle Dynamics lift,AIH Delete,CCV,FRX,HPX, OCR,JW valve body,mag-hytec rear diff cover,Riffraff Billet plenums,Clays ported housing+11 blade comp wheel,Bellowed up-pipes,Garrett turbo outlet,F6 chip,Custom 4" to 5" exhaust,All from clay @ RiffRaff,BD big trans sump,Carpc got the ****,got a IPAD in the dash now
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Dont forget water injection. U get cooler Egt's. can be applied when needed and a HP gain as well. When you are pulling a 3 ton trailer up a grade its gunna get hot. Even the best IC wont give you what you need. IMO.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Elder User

Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Nkelly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Dont forget water injection. U get cooler Egt's. can be applied when needed and a HP gain as well. When you are pulling a 3 ton trailer up a grade its gunna get hot. Even the best IC wont give you what you need. IMO.
Hmmm looked at that,be a good thing why haven't you got it hmmm
2005 FORD F250 7.3L, Maxxis BigHorns 35's,16x10 alloy rims,5"Procomp/Icon Vehicle Dynamics lift,AIH Delete,CCV,FRX,HPX, OCR,JW valve body,mag-hytec rear diff cover,Riffraff Billet plenums,Clays ported housing+11 blade comp wheel,Bellowed up-pipes,Garrett turbo outlet,F6 chip,Custom 4" to 5" exhaust,All from clay @ RiffRaff,BD big trans sump,Carpc got the ****,got a IPAD in the dash now
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Posting Guru

Due to my own personal global financial crisis everything is on hold atm. But I do have plans. just dont tell MeMe.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Due to my own personal global financial crisis everything is on hold atm. But I do have plans. just dont tell MeMe.
I know what ya saying, Frustrating all these things we would luv to do and no fekkin money aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a great reputation on FTE.
Just when I want to buy from the US the ar$e drops out of the Aussie $ Not really complaining, at least it'll give our farmers/manufacturers/tourism industry some relief.

But now I need to save for a couple more months before I can afford what I could have afforded 2 months ago.
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Posting Guru

Yes we have had a good run. But like all good things they must come to an end. I think it was around .85 when I started investing in Clay's retirement fund.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Yes we have had a good run. But like all good things they must come to an end. I think it was around .85 when I started investing in Clay's retirement fund.
I had an excellent argument with lyn when it was over a dollar now im screwed
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 AM