1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1990 Ranger 4.0 Fuel line to regulator and rail

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 PM
tonygast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Ranger 4.0 Fuel line to regulator and rail

I have not been able to find the fuel line to the regulator for my 1990 Ranger with the 4.0 engine. I have seen other posts where someone took the regulator for a Bronco II and that fuel line and put it on a 1990 4.0 Ranger. The regulator screwed into the fuel rail, but the fuel line connector to it was different, but still matched up with the input line to the fuel rail.

So, first off, does that sound like it would work. Second, how would I find what other Fords with that 4.0 would have the same fuel rail but a different regulator? The issue really seems to be around how the fuel line connected to that regulator.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
Hello Tony. Welcome to FTE. You should be able to find a lot of good info from members here but somtimes it takes a while to get a reply.
I believe 1990 was the first year the 4.0 was in the Ranger. Even though I have a 1991 Ranger 4.0 I'm not sure if the fuel line fitting on it is the same as the 1990. But what you might do is look around at some wrecking yards for Rangers from 1990 to at least 1994 and Explorers from 91 to 94 with the 4.0. Also see if they have some Rangers with the 3.0 and check those fuel lines too. It's possible that the fuel lines may be the same even up to 1998 or 99. The 4.0 was only in the Ranger and Explorer in those time periods. Just to clarify, are you having a problem with the pressure regulator or the fuel line itself?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM
tonygast
New User
Your reply seemed plenty fast to me

The regulator has been replaced, which reduced a lot of the fuel leak issues, but the leak is now clearly just at the connection between the fuel line and the regulator. From what I have seen looking around, it seems like that type of connection between the fuel line and regulator was from 1990-1991, or maybe as late as 1992.

I am in Cincinnati, and I haven't had much luck finding places with trucks as old as mine in junk yards, but I may not have been looking hard enough yet either.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Does this look like the part you need???? RockAuto Parts Catalog Dang the page url didn't copy, maybe try this, search for fuel pressure regulator fuel line. Part numbers that came up for me were 800050 - 51, 54 & 55185. Do any of those look like the part you need????

Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM
tonygast
New User
I would have been useful if I had included the part number, huh?

fotz9j338d

Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
pjhartung
New User
Tony- Any luck with your problem? I had the same issue with a fuel leak at the connection of the hose and regulator except that while trying to see how to disconnect the hose I ended up breaking it. I can get a similar regulator but no one has a fuel line that comes close. Please let me know what you were able to do to fix this as I love this truck. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 AM
tonygast
New User
I was not able to get anywhere with finding the fuel line. Even called a place in Hawaii that was supposed to have one, but they could not find it. I was able to find a new retainer clip connecting the line to the regulator, which helped for a while and slowed the leak down to where I could tell it was almost for sure the fuel rail, which I just got a junk yard replacement for that yesterday.

I found that retainer clip at Green Sales Company - Obsolete Ford parts, Lincoln, Mercury parts Green Sales Company, supplier of obsolete Ford parts and Lincoln / Mercury parts.* Our Ford parts inventory represents all Ford and Lincoln / Mercury products from 1950 to the present. and they had one more left. It was cheap (I don't recall, but $7-$12), and I bet they ship, so if that is what broke, this will save your truck!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
pjhartung
New User
Smile

Tony- From the info on this thread I looked and found that the Explorer used the same regulator on their 4.0L engine. I went to the junkyard this past weekend and pulled a regulator and fuel line off of a 96 Explorer. The regulator mated to the engine just fine and the fuel line used the screw on end for the regulator and the quick connector on the other end. The fuel line is smaller in diameter but I am sure it has the same capacity and so far has been running just fine. I was so happy I bought some color restorer and waxed it and hope it goes another 20 years.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 AM
tonygast
New User
Glad to hear about your success! I have had some success of my own. I just got a junk yard fuel rail put in, but I used an online site to track it down for me, so I don't know what vehicle it came out of, except the regulator and fuel line were different. The rail matched perfectly though, but then I found the screw on fuel line was cracked at the 90 degree connector. I was able to take that to a local hydraulics repair shop where they braised on a connector to the regulator connector after cutting the line and putting a connector on it. I would probably cut myself on rust somewhere if I tried to wax my Ranger though

Was the quick connect fuel line maybe 6 inches or so longer than you needed? If so, the fuel rail I have may have come from an Explorer too. I would like to know that in case the regulator that came with it goes bad.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM
pjhartung
New User
Yes it was a several inches longer. The 90 degree connector was a screw on to the regulator. I think the old one could have been called a quick disconnect as it was all plastic/rubber and took a special tool that had two prongs to open the connector. From my research Ford only used it a few years and every Explorer I looked at has the screw on which is what the current Motorcraft replacement part takes.

Glad to hear you are running again as well!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Alonso Resendiz
New User
Originally Posted by pjhartung
Tony- From the info on this thread I looked and found that the Explorer used the same regulator on their 4.0L engine. I went to the junkyard this past weekend and pulled a regulator and fuel line off of a 96 Explorer. The regulator mated to the engine just fine and the fuel line used the screw on end for the regulator and the quick connector on the other end. The fuel line is smaller in diameter but I am sure it has the same capacity and so far has been running just fine. I was so happy I bought some color restorer and waxed it and hope it goes another 20 years.
i have the same problem with my fuel line and regulator did the one from the Ford Explorer work 1996?