Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Posting Guru

OldWoodsDiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
possible truck purchase but "needs pcm"

so, my search for a crew cab truck continues, but one just came on the market nearby with lots of miles but a body that's in reasonable shape. if the guy would come down in price a bit, i'd consider buying it, but a line in his ad says: "needs pcm."

my question is: could swapping my good PCM into his truck with a potentially suspect electrical system kill my PCM? i'm figuring the obvious answer is yes, if there is a short in the system somewhere that killed his PCM in the first place, it would just kill mine again, right quick. but if it was just water that go into his PCM, or some internal fault of the PCM, swapping mine in would be OK.

before I just swapped it over, though, i'd hook up my AF scanguage to his truck and see what it says. as long as it communicates, then, the PCM is not totally fried and should tell me what's, wrong, right? if I get nothing on the scanguage, his PCM is, indeed, cooked and mine may well be soon, too if I swap it in, right?

my first thought is that the truck just stopped running on him and if he's inexperienced with these engines, he may just assume its a pcm problem, but could well be a cps, ipr, #22 fuse etc. it'd be easy enough to shake down that issue, given some time, though.

any quick thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated, as i'm hoping to go see the truck this afternoon...

thanks!
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Senior User

bryanlindborg600 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel View Post
so, my search for a crew cab truck continues, but one just came on the market nearby with lots of miles but a body that's in reasonable shape. if the guy would come down in price a bit, i'd consider buying it, but a line in his ad says: "needs pcm."

my question is: could swapping my good PCM into his truck with a potentially suspect electrical system kill my PCM? i'm figuring the obvious answer is yes, if there is a short in the system somewhere that killed his PCM in the first place, it would just kill mine again, right quick. but if it was just water that go into his PCM, or some internal fault of the PCM, swapping mine in would be OK.

before I just swapped it over, though, i'd hook up my AF scanguage to his truck and see what it says. as long as it communicates, then, the PCM is not totally fried and should tell me what's, wrong, right? if I get nothing on the scanguage, his PCM is, indeed, cooked and mine may well be soon, too if I swap it in, right?

my first thought is that the truck just stopped running on him and if he's inexperienced with these engines, he may just assume its a pcm problem, but could well be a cps, ipr, #22 fuse etc. it'd be easy enough to shake down that issue, given some time, though.

any quick thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated, as i'm hoping to go see the truck this afternoon...

thanks!
I agree there is always a risk when swapping electrical parts, but i recently got done diagnosing my truck and swapped idm's from truck to truck,BUT, I took my thought to be bad idm and put it into my known to be good running truck to diagnose, I would recommend that if you eliminate all the other possible "no start" or reason to post "needs PCM" issue! But it was still a risk when I decided to take the good idm and run it in my truck that had the bad one, but it has been a few weeks and all is well!! Electrical shat can just quit, so the risk I think is low.....?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Posting Guru

good point - if it reads dead with the scanner, I can assume it won't start my truck either. if it reads alive, but with problems and I can't pinpoint it to an exact cause, swapping it into my truck and confirm it runs my truck OK would say that it is an engine-side electrical problem and not a pcm-side issue.

its a fine line to walk either way in this case - I don't want to fix the truck in front of him because then his price will go up or he won't sell at all. I also don't want to buy a truck that is unfixable. I guess that's why i'll plan on not paying much for it and just go ahead and sell it again or part it out if I can't fix it with a reasonable amount of time and effort...
97 F250 RCLB 2WD 5.8L gas - BLUE (ZF5, 3.55, distant-future-project-truck - 235k mi)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Senior User

bryanlindborg600 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel View Post
good point - if it reads dead with the scanner, I can assume it won't start my truck either. if it reads alive, but with problems and I can't pinpoint it to an exact cause, swapping it into my truck and confirm it runs my truck OK would say that it is an engine-side electrical problem and not a pcm-side issue.

its a fine line to walk either way in this case - I don't want to fix the truck in front of him because then his price will go up or he won't sell at all. I also don't want to buy a truck that is unfixable. I guess that's why i'll plan on not paying much for it and just go ahead and sell it again or part it out if I can't fix it with a reasonable amount of time and effort...
That's true! Sounds like you know about all you could know to Hopedully diagnose without actually fixing it and get a steal of a deal!! You might almost feel bad if you get it dirt cheap and its an easy fix, but hopefully that only last for a few seconds!! Lol!! Good luck man!!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
PCMs sometimes just stop working for no reason other than a internal component failure. So if you trust that the seller hasn't done anything to the rig to cause the failure I would give it a shot. Also Python Injection is a good outfit for PCM repair.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600 View Post
You might almost feel bad if you get it dirt cheap and its an easy fix, but hopefully that only last for a few seconds!! Lol!! Good luck man!!
thanks! I won't feel that bad. if he's just given up on it and wants some money for a truck he can't fix, then i'm happy to take that deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwoolw View Post
PCMs sometimes just stop working for no reason other than a internal component failure. So if you trust that the seller hasn't done anything to the rig to cause the failure I would give it a shot. Also Python Injection is a good outfit for PCM repair.
good to know - part of buying this truck would be converting it over to manual, though, and I already have a manual PCM in my barn ready to go in. the truck is auto now, though, so i'd have to get it fixed and working with the pcm from my other psd, though, which is [still] auto.

hopefully the truck isn't a big rust bucket though - that would be a dealbreaker.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Postmaster

Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.
Might just be fuse #22 ... if so

Don't tell the owner.
Negotiate a good price.
Tow it around the block.
Unplug fuel heater and replace fuse #22.
Start it up and drive past his place honking horn.

1997 F250 HD CC 4x4 7.3L - E4OD - 3.55's
Napa 6637 - FPR Shim 3" Down Pipe & CD 203 Stat
Riffraff
HPX - Interceptor Scan Gauge - Cobalt Digital Pyro
Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
If the body is nice..and the price is cheap enough...who cares ...anything is fixable...its a cc!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM