Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD PROBLEM NO ONE TALKS ABOUT

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E4OD PROBLEM NO ONE TALKS ABOUT

Well they start talking about it then go off on a tangent about some other problem. Hi everyone my name is Nien as in the Nineth of Nine Syblings. Im new here and couldnt find my way back to the Introductions thread so I will be brief and kill two birds with one stone. I have a 93 f150 ext cab xlt 4x4 with a 302 and a e4od auto trans. I had to replace the trans due to finding some planetary bearings and alot of metal in the bottom of the pan during filter change. Now after the R and R, trans SLAMS INTO R from P. Smooth from R to N to D to 2 to 1 now that I properly lined up the right marks on the MLPS. Unless ofcourse I go back the other way and then SLAMS into R from N. I live in the SoCal desert 1 mile off the tar mat. I have 5 kids of my own and wake up every morning to a 2 door honda to transport this bunch. I am very handy with my tools and dvm. I just need some solid direction and some diagrams and test procedures. Im a Forder from way back starting with my Fordster tractor which I was using to go into town with all the kids hanging off of it until my wife got grease on her sunday best one day. Any help out there?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By slam, do you mean it makes a loud clunk?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 PM
knotEdog
Junior User
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lead Head
By slam, do you mean it makes a loud clunk?
No this is more than you would feel if a trans mount or driveline u joints were torn or worn. there is a pause then slam you can feel and here ring through the driveshaft. it shook my dentures loose. Im going to jumper the code connector and see what codes come up right now. if you can think of anything I'll be right back

Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by knotEdog
Well they start talking about it then go off on a tangent about some other problem. Hi everyone my name is Nien as in the Nineth of Nine Syblings. Im new here and couldnt find my way back to the Introductions thread so I will be brief and kill two birds with one stone. I have a 93 f150 ext cab xlt 4x4 with a 302 and a e4od auto trans. I had to replace the trans due to finding some planetary bearings and alot of metal in the bottom of the pan during filter change. Now after the R and R, trans SLAMS INTO R from P. Smooth from R to N to D to 2 to 1 now that I properly lined up the right marks on the MLPS. Unless ofcourse I go back the other way and then SLAMS into R from N. I live in the SoCal desert 1 mile off the tar mat. I have 5 kids of my own and wake up every morning to a 2 door honda to transport this bunch. I am very handy with my tools and dvm. I just need some solid direction and some diagrams and test procedures. Im a Forder from way back starting with my Fordster tractor which I was using to go into town with all the kids hanging off of it until my wife got grease on her sunday best one day. Any help out there?
While you may indeed have a trans problem, there is a possibility that your computer controlled transmission (E4OD) is suffering from poor grounds (resistive).
Even though I've got a 4.9L, after cleaning up all of my grounds (specificaly the block ground) my E4OD now shifts smoothly in and out of all the positions you cited above.
Cleaning up your grounds would probably be a good idea before further diagnosing your problem.

Just my .02 cents.

Bob

Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM
knotEdog
Junior User
Arrow

Originally Posted by Truckin Bob
While you may indeed have a trans problem, there is a possibility that your computer controlled transmission (E4OD) is suffering from poor grounds (resistive).
Even though I've got a 4.9L, after cleaning up all of my grounds (specificaly the block ground) my E4OD now shifts smoothly in and out of all the positions you cited above.
Cleaning up your grounds would probably be a good idea before further diagnosing your problem.

Just my .02 cents.

Bob
GOOD idea Bob, I'll head out there after I give this update and clean them up. Sometimes 2 cents is worth a million.

I PULLED THE CODES and only 1 code came up which was
629 Convertor Clutch Control Circuit Failure followed by
CM code 1111=SYSPASS.

WHAT does this Convertor Clutch Control Circuit consist of ?
WHERE can I find test and or repair info?
ANYONE have a pinout with OEM values I can reference?

I'll get back to you Bob with my Ground Point Findings.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Converter clutch is just a solenoid within the transmission and a control wire going back to the computer. If you have a short in this wire, it is possible you could have the converter locking up at undesirable times.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
And what is that magical problem specific to the E4OD we kept to ourselves like in a little Ford-users E4OD conspiracy theory? From the answers so far you get the idea, the problem you mentioned can be caused by several items. Aaaaaanyway, welcome to our little corner, have fun!.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mentioned, in your thread title, the E4OD problem nobody talks about, then were very vague about what problem you meant. I'm still not sure what problem you mean.

Here's a thread with some good info and links: E4OD Diagnosis Thread - FSB Forums

And here's a thread about adjusting and testing the MLPS, since you mentioned that you messed with it: E4OD tranny slipping in D - F150online Forums

Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Thanks for the info Bob. What I am trying to fix is the slamming in reverse problem after installing rebuild e40d. Trans was built by Agave' Motorsports with Billett input and outputs and retro'd with 5 planetary gear front and rear new solenoid pack . Smooth engage in all other manually selected positions except P to R and N to R. U-joints and trans mount good. Pulled code 629 Convertor Clutch Control Circuit Failure. That's where I'm at now. Checking wiring and cleaning solenoid pack connector is next. That is why I am looking for the pin-out and values for each wire.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Call Agave's and ask them if they used a shift kit in the rebuild. I'm very sure what you have there is high pressure (pump or resistor modifications) and some very stiff springs in the valve body. Since I installed my very mild shift kit in mine the Reverse slams in (sort of speech, it enters strong, but it feels good and works great). If you want to learn a little more about shift kits and what they involve check the E4OD mods link in my signature.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Thanks Encho. I read through your info and put a call into Agave. Turns out that my trans was built for their Chase Vehicle which was a Bronco. Do you know if the pinout on the solenoid cable is the same on a Bronco as it is on my F150. I am going for the auto hub option after reading your info also. But one thing at a time. Truck on Jackstands + parts in the driveway = one po'd wife. I could use my garage but my I mean her 69 ss camino is in there

Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Yes, if you compare them year by year they are the same, the Bronco IS an F-150.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM
knotEdog
Junior User
UPDATE: okay tried unsuccessfully to clear the 629 code that comes up during KOEO. Code does not store in CM. Drove for first time and with selector in D truck barely moves forward. If I manually downshift to 2 and then back to D then accelerate truck moves forward at normal pace. No BLINKING O/D LIGHT. I read something on here about this problem I think.

Encho the guy who built the trans at Agave' isnt with the team anymore and tag on trans is unreadable so Im not sure if the year is the same as my truck.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too have that clunking problem but i hope its just a bad ujoint. If it isnt what else could it be?

Quick Reply: E4OD PROBLEM NO ONE TALKS ABOUT