Beeeeeeeeee....!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beeeeeeeeee....!!

G'day Fellas,

I have an annoying alarm that comes on in my truck .

It is not a chime as in Ding..ding..ding etc it's just a straight single high pitched note alarm...Beeeeeeeeeee ....

There is no visual accompaning light on the instrument panel. It has no effect on the truck's running.
There are no codes.

It comes on with the vehicle running and will not go off by simply turning the engine off and pulling out the key.

I had this alarm come on over a year ago and I could not track it's cause or reason back then. The only way it could be stopped was to disconnect the batteries.
If I straight away reconnected the batteries and started the engine the alarm would start up again . I found I had to leave the batteries disconnected for at least 30+ mins to avoid it coming back on.

Since that time a year or so ago, this alarm has not come on again.
However it has started again a week ago.

This time I noted that it came on after I had a low battery voltage.
The truck had sat for a while without being started and when I turned the key and the glow plugs came into play the voltage was around 10.6V.
The engine started and no alarm, but as I put her into reverse and moved a few meters .. on came the alarm.

I could not attend to it as I was off to an important meeting.
From previous experience with this alarm and knowing it had no detrimental effect on the truck I drove off with the alarm going off.
I drove 16km (10 mile) and after parking lifted the hood and disconnected the batteries to stop the alarm.
Four hours later I came back, reconnected batteries, started the truck and took off ...no alarm .
I just had the same issue again today. No alarm on start and it only came on after I reversed out of my drive way. But like last time had to take off and do what I had to do. Again at my destination I disconnected the batteries to stop the alarm.
A few hours later I came back to the truck, reconnected the batteries, started the truck and drove off ... no alarm.

The alarm seems to be up under the dash behind the fuse panel.

As there is no indication of any issues, do you fellas have any ideas on what may be causing this alarm coming on ??

Cheers,
Reg.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I have had the same thing happen in my truck randomly for 12 years but mine will turn off if I turn the key off and back on. I have a 6 speed so I don't even stop or anything.

Wish I could help, maybe someone will know.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you checked for codes?
the air bag system will beep when it has a problem. most of the time it is the clock spring in the steering wheel.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Might be onto something, my airbag light is out on the switch of the dash, causing it to blink on my cluster gauge. But it does it so randomly and is a constant beep.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the light out will make it code.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

It blinks the light on the dash signaling I have a code everytime I turn it on, but beeps only once a month or so.

I need a new bulb for the dash on/off switch for passenger seat airbag. Worth a shot anyway.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Not any wiser?

G'day again fellas,

Well this issue of mine is getting far to frequent.

I had been disconnecting the batteries to stop it, but following what John said, I now just turn off and then turn on the ignition (no start) and off again and the continious beeeee... stops.
My truck is the auto so can't do it on the fly like with John's 6 speed.

It doesn't do it everytime, and this is what is most frustrating.

If I were to go down the Air Bag and Clock Spring path, what am I to actually do??

I have checked for codes on the Edge. Got P0603 and that would have thrown from disconnecting the batteries. I have a chip also.
Also P0541 and that is because I've removed the AIH.

So nothing to indicate anything else. I'll hook up the AE and see if picks up codes the Edge doesn't.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I've been reading up on this and I noticed some nice nuggets on our networks. To address your current issue: Is it a beeeeeep, or a bing bing bing? The chime is controlled exclusively by the GEM, so I have to ask if you've had water intrusion through your windshield.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Just reaching out into the air but when you release your e-brake does your light go out, if not that will make that beeeep your talking about.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Continious alarm

Originally Posted by Tugly
I've been reading up on this and I noticed some nice nuggets on our networks. To address your current issue: Is it a beeeeeep, or a bing bing bing? The chime is controlled exclusively by the GEM, so I have to ask if you've had water intrusion through your windshield.
G'day Tugly,

It is a continious alarm as in Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... (no 'p' at the end mate, cause it doesn't stop ).
It is not a typical chime alarm as in a 'ding--ding--ding' like the e-brake.

The way to stop it is to pull up, turn key off, turn key to ignition and back off again. It may or may not come on again after starting up and running again.

I've not noticed any leak via the windshield. But I'll make a more through inspection into that.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Mine has done it almost since new. I don't think it is water related or airbag. It usually happens a few seconds after start up and would continue forever except key/off key/on. I have unhooked every buzzer In my truck, but that one still randomly buzzes.

I have tried to find the source but its buried way up inside the dash and since it is so random I am always in a hurry when it happens haha.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
The parking brake chimes? I rarely use mine, but I don't understand why it would chime with just the key in... unless you put it in gear. This still implies GEM... but you need to do some probing before proposing you've pinpointed the problem.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
NOT a Chime.

Originally Posted by Tugly
The parking brake chimes? I rarely use mine, but I don't understand why it would chime with just the key in... unless you put it in gear. This still implies GEM... but you need to do some probing before proposing you've pinpointed the problem.
G'day Tugly,

Like I say it is not a chime sound, such as the park brake chime. The sound is a continious Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

It does not sound by simply putting the key in. It only starts after you have started the engine and only after I've commenced to move off.
It will not stop no matter how long you drive for.

If you stop and turn off the truck it just keeps going.
If you start the truck up while the alarm going off, it will simply keep sounding as you start and keeps going when the engine starts again.

It will not stop sounding unless you stop the truck and cycle the key on and off without starting the donk.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Diesel Submariner
It does not sound by simply putting the key in. It only starts after you have started the engine and only after I've commenced to move off.
It will not stop no matter how long you drive for.

If you stop and turn off the truck it just keeps going
I understand it's a beeee.. but the only sound I know of that is triggered with the key off is the alert that lets you know you left your lights on. You can check your light switch. The only other answer I have is the GEM is paging you like a suspicious girlfriend, or a damaged noisemaker/control wire to it. See? I didn't say "chime" that time.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

My f250 doesn't even have the headlight alarm, but its more high pitched than that. Like Diesel Submariner says it comes on after you start and roll a few feet.

Quick Reply: Beeeeeeeeee....!!