Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost is code word for, "Worst oil change you'll ever do"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:53 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ecoboost is code word for, "Worst oil change you'll ever do"

Tonight I changed the oil in my Ecoboost. That was THE WORST oil change experience of my life! First, I position the oil catch tub below the oil pan and get ready to yank the pan plug real quick. I pull the plug and oil gushes out. Apparently used 5W-30 is thin as water. I did not know that. Hence the following sequence of events...

We all know that normal oil calmly drains into the catch tub without splashing. But do you know what happens when water-like 5W30 hits the catch pan? IT SPLASHES ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!

And we all know with normal oil that a little wind doesn't break apart the oil stream, it just shifts around a bit. But do you know what happens when a little wind blows on water-like 5W-30 oil? IT SPLATTERS INTO THE WIND ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!

And the oil gushes.... and splashes.... and gushes..... and gushes... and gushes.... and splashes.... and gushes.... and.... HOW MUCH FREAKING OIL IS IN THAT PAN???? It went on and on and on and on and on. I've drained 15 quarts out of 7.3L Powerstroke that was quicker than that. The mess was immense. I have a pool of oil running down the driveway, oil splatter on the truck, on the tire, on the ramp stand, on tools. It was a freaking nightmare. I throw a pile of cat litter on the driveway to stop the river of oil going to the street.

Next I turn my attention to the oil filter. Where is that oil filter anyway??? I turn back a flap just behind the bumper and I see the filter in the most awkward place possible through a less than generous access hole. I had to work completely blind with only one hand. Fortunately, I was able to coax the filter off with a strap and a long extension on a socket wrench. Now I'm thinking to myself this ought to be okay because there is an obvious gutter that is intended to drain oil spill from the filter into the oil pan. I loosen the filter and oil is spilling on the driveway through a hole in the skid plate. WHAT THE HELL????? I push the oil pan in place and now I'm imagining oil coming down the gutter on my face. Fortunately, that's about the only bad thing that didn't happen.

Now remember how I said I was working blind? Try installing a new oil filter not knowing where it goes. I've got a filter filled with oil in my hand and trying to feel around for the stud without spilling oil all over the place or damaging the seal. I find the stud with a finger and put the filter to the end. Not quite done yet! Now I have to get the angle juuuuuuust perfect or the filter won't screw on. It finally hooks in place (by pure luck) and the hell was over.

At this point I'm filthy. I don't dare get into my truck. I call my wife and ask her to back the truck off the ramps. She looks confused. Finally she asks me where the shifter is. OH MY GOSH!!!! I guide her how to put it in reverse and ask her to slowly come off the ramps. She comes flying off the ramps and crashes to the ground. I'm saying, Take it easy! She says, It's really touchy! I ask her to go back a few more inches so I can pick up the ramps. She goes back about 3 feet and I'm yelling STOP!!! STOP!!! She came inches from backing into my Firebird that was sitting inside the garage. I'm having a panic attack because I've had the Firebird for 21 years and was the first car I ever bought.

Now I go inside the garage and accidently kick a brake line that was sitting on the floor and it spills brake fluid all over the floor. Now let me explain how infuriating that was. That break line has been tossed around the garage for 15 years and IT WAS FREAKING EMPTY!!! WHAT THE HELL???? That was the final insult of oil spills for the night.

Now that, my friend, is the worst oil change I've ever done. Oh ya, I drew blood putting the ramps away. Figures. Can't do any work on a car without drawing blood. Story of my life.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Whew now THAT was a series of unfortunate events!! Sorry it didn't go as well as you had planned. Hopefully it will go better next time!!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
The only reason I did the oil change is because last time the dealer didn't latch the cover in place and it was ruined dragging on the road. I guess I learned my lesson, huh? Yep.... Next time I'll change oil in the middle of the night in the neighbors driveway.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
The only reason I did the oil change is because last time the dealer didn't latch the cover in place and it was ruined dragging on the road. I guess I learned my lesson, huh? Yep.... Next time I'll change oil in the middle of the night in the neighbors driveway.
There you go!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
swheeler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose the engineers could have found a worse place to put the oil filter but they must have been in a good mood the day they designed that part.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I'm considering changing the oil in my truck but after reading this post I may just go back to the dealer as I have been in the past.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would take mine to have it done except that I don't know what's in their bulk oil tank, yes that filter is in a difficult place and would be very tough to put on with oil in it, on a reefer unit I only lose a few drops, on this I would imagine the filter would be empty by the time I got it spun back on! Also I switched to Mobil One because I am a little paranoid about the turbo's, turbo chargers are tough on oil because of the heat issue. on a final note the 2 liter eco in my wifes escape is a little easier than the truck, especially regarding the oil filter!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm considering changing the oil in my truck but after reading this post I may just go back to the dealer as I have been in the past.
Now that I know what to expect I hope it won't be a big deal next time.

My suggestion (and what I will do next time) is drain oil into a 5 gallon bucket. It's tall and won't let the oil splatter everywhere. That's the way I drained oil with my old Superduty because 15 quarts will overflow a normal catch pan.

Concerning oil filter, now I know where to catch the oil so it won't be a problem. Getting the oil filter off is the hardest part. My filter wrench was too large to grab the small filter. I'll probably buy a smaller filter wrench so I don't have to fiddle around with straps and socket wrenches.

Next time should go a lot smoother.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Now that I know what to expect it won't be a big deal next time.

My suggestion (and what I will do next time) is drain oil into a 5 gallon bucket. It's tall and won't let the oil splatter everywhere. That's the way I drained oil with my old Superduty because 15 quarts will overflow a normal catch pan.

Concerning oil filter, now I know where to catch the oil so it won't be a problem. Getting the oil filter off is the hardest part. My filter wrench was too large to grab the small filter. I'll probably buy a smaller filter wrench so I don't have to fiddle around with straps and socket wrenches.

Next time should go a lot smoother.
yes the smaller filter wrench helps a lot, everybody sells an oil change for 20-30 bucks, I cant do that for myself and I buy the product, what are you getting from a fast lube for that kind of money!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a lift in my garage which makes it easy to change the oil in my Ecoboost. I remove the skid plate for easy access to everything. That also allows you to get at the drip tray thingy to wipe it clean afterwards.
I don't know what that engineer was thinking when he designed that drip tray which drains towards the front and the back. It might even be better with no drip tray. With or without it you still have to wipe oil off the front differential housing when you're done.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Can't be any worse than changing oil in my '95 T-bird 4.6L or my '99 Taurus 3.0 HO. Some crack head was hired to design the oiling system on these engines.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Not sure on changing oil on an EB but putting a gallon ziploc bag over the filter just before it releases from the last threads......should help contain some of the mess.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
I dont think changine the oil is that bad, granted i have only done it once, and coming up on my second... But it only took a few minutes longer to do than my normal one.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 PM
cnvF250
Senior User
Fumoto Drain Valve helps a lot with the drain plug, but takes forever so don't be in a hurry. You can also drain when the engine is hot with no worries.

I have no answer for the filter placement. It's awful. Just poorly design access. You need really skinny arms, strong hands, and they can't be attached to each other at any time. LOL

Never fear. They do get easier.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Buck268
Elder User
Originally Posted by j.grif
I would take mine to have it done except that I don't know what's in their bulk oil tank, yes that filter is in a difficult place and would be very tough to put on with oil in it, on a reefer unit I only lose a few drops, on this I would imagine the filter would be empty by the time I got it spun back on! Also I switched to Mobil One because I am a little paranoid about the turbo's, turbo chargers are tough on oil because of the heat issue. on a final note the 2 liter eco in my wifes escape is a little easier than the truck, especially regarding the oil filter!
The Motorcraft synthetic blended 5W20 is supposed to be some pretty good stuff. Not saying its better than the M1 but I'm not going to say the M1 would offer much advantage either. But that's just from reading on a popular "oilguy" forum

Quick Reply: Ecoboost is code word for, "Worst oil change you'll ever do"