Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plan to buy Tonneau cover - do I really need a "premium" spray-in bedliner

Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
TrickyT150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan to buy Tonneau cover - do I really need a "premium" spray-in bedliner

Hi guys - I'm new the to forum, and (dare I say it) a first time truck owner. I grew up around trucks and am comfortable with them, but never could afford one until now.

I want to put a spray-on bedliner in for basic protection: will be mostly light-duty work - toolboxes, camping gear, yard waste, lumber/hardware store misc., etc. But, I also plan to buy a Tonneau cover. So, I have two questions:

1. What does everyone think on a low-cost Tonneau cover.
2. Do I really need to bother with the cost of Line-X Premium or Xtra if all I need is a plain black liner that will be under a cover most of the time?

I kinda think this is a no-brainer, but wanted to get some thoughts before I drop $700-$1000 on a cover and bedliner.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
1. Do you want a hard cover or a soft vinyl cover? A soft vinyl cover will not provide security.
2. Standard black LINE-X is fine if you use a tonneau cover. The primary purpose of Premium or Xtra is to prevent fading due to UV light from the sun.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM
TrickyT150
New User
I was planning on a soft vinyl cover. Probably one of the tri-folding ones (unless there is good reason to go with the rolling ones). I'm not overly concerned about security, but more with keeping the bed generally clean, out of the sun, and protecting cargo/luggage on road trips. So, I am less concerned about security than I am about just keeping things clean and dry. Also, I don't really have the money to but a hard top since I just bought the truck and am also about to drop ~$400 on a bedliner.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 236 Likes on 102 Posts
I've got a Truxedo, LoPro QT on my truck. It's a roll up type. I don't care for the hard tonneaus or folding ones. If you need to carry something tall, you have to remove the cover, mine, you just roll up.
I have a Linex spray in liner as well, that replaced a drop in Rugged liner.
I'll give it to ya FREE if you're close enough. It's for a 6.5 foot bed, with tailgate protector as well.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
TrickyT150
New User
Originally Posted by johnday
I've got a Truxedo, LoPro QT on my truck. It's a roll up type. I don't care for the hard tonneaus or folding ones. If you need to carry something tall, you have to remove the cover, mine, you just roll up.
I have a Linex spray in liner as well, that replaced a drop in Rugged liner.
I'll give it to ya FREE if you're close enough. It's for a 6.5 foot bed, with tailgate protector as well.
Thanks for the offer, but I've got the 5'7" bed on mine.

Thanks for your input. The roll up with either a Rino or LineX liner sounds like what I'm looking for.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
sgzeroone
New User
Smile What I went With...

Yeah I think the rollup style covers are the most versatile kind to get. I put a Access rollup cover on my pickup and it works great. Never did go with a spreay in liner though...I was cheap and just bought a bed mat. Ii was a cheap way of protecting the bed from what I was using it for. I might someday get a spray in liner. I bought my rollup bedcover and bedmat from the same place as I recall. It was Zequip.com as I recall. Not bad prices and the guys there were great.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found my Lund folding tonneau on Craigslist for $100. There were quite a few to choose from. I'm still deciding on the bedliner....I can't drop $600 on a Line-X.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
I found my Lund folding tonneau on Craigslist for $100. There were quite a few to choose from. I'm still deciding on the bedliner....I can't drop $600 on a Line-X.
Is the truck in your sig the one you're talking about?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Yes it is...

Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
OK. I was going to offer that dropin liner to you, but I guess it wouldn't work. I come down your way every other weekend.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
I'd take it for the time being if it'd fit, but I think my bed is 6.75'.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
I'd take it for the time being if it'd fit, but I think my bed is 6.75'.
I'm not totally sure, but I "think" the bed on my 150 is actually that size. Maybe call someone who sells these things if it will work. My time is limited in that by the time I get off work, most everyone is closed, but I'll see what I can do when I get home tonight.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
I'm up on Drummond Island without my truck, but I will be home Thursday morning and I'll measure the bed. My father in law has an 06 F150 supercab that I can measure his bed. What cab config do you have again? I'm on my phone and can't see your sig...

Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM
wagner78
Senior User
Originally Posted by TrickyT150
Hi guys - I'm new the to forum, and (dare I say it) a first time truck owner. I grew up around trucks and am comfortable with them, but never could afford one until now.

I want to put a spray-on bedliner in for basic protection: will be mostly light-duty work - toolboxes, camping gear, yard waste, lumber/hardware store misc., etc. But, I also plan to buy a Tonneau cover. So, I have two questions:

1. What does everyone think on a low-cost Tonneau cover.
2. Do I really need to bother with the cost of Line-X Premium or Xtra if all I need is a plain black liner that will be under a cover most of the time?

I kinda think this is a no-brainer, but wanted to get some thoughts before I drop $700-$1000 on a cover and bedliner.

Thanks.
For what it's worth, I have a Line-X premium spray (have on all my trucks) very durable in the face of wood and concrete. I also have a >$300 tonneau cover from eBay (trifold kind), have on all my trucks, works fine.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
I'm up on Drummond Island without my truck, but I will be home Thursday morning and I'll measure the bed. My father in law has an 06 F150 supercab that I can measure his bed. What cab config do you have again? I'm on my phone and can't see your sig...
I have the SuperCab, with the 6 1/2 foot box. I did not have an opportunity to call anyone today either.
Drummond Island? I drove right by there today, and most every day. Small world.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plan to buy Tonneau cover - do I really need a "premium" spray-in bedliner