Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 AM
New User

jp4lsu is starting off with a positive reputation.
What brand of shocks to use?

I need to replace the rear shocks on an Expedition Limited with the coil spring set up. What brands should I look at?

Autozone and O'Reillys carry Monroe and KYB. Are these acceptable?
Bilsteins?
Eibachs?

Would these be better for ride and durability.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
with regards to shocks.....IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications

2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability

3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.

4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

5) Monroe- stay away from that junk!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
New User

jp4lsu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Beechkid.
Sounds like KYB might be the choice here. I'm leary of Monroes and the big brands that these parts stores carry. So I felt I needed to ask about shocks since I'm not that well versed on these components.

The Expy has 20" wheels with 55 series BFG's, so I think a KYB shock should be a good selection based on your analysis.
Thanks and feel free to provide more info and analysis. Good stuff
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Elder User

Big Bad has a good reputation on FTE.Big Bad has a good reputation on FTE.
Bilstein HD, valving is about 20% stiffer than stock.

Being a monotube, high pressure gas shock with digressive self-adjusting valving (deflective disc), they have the same variable damping characteristics of the Edelbrock IAS or KYB GR-2, etc.

Lifetime warranty and track record is a plus.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator