1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

smoking GP relays, Massive fuel Leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 AM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
smoking GP relays, Massive fuel Leaks.

I spent over 2 months modding my truck all for one weekend. A camping trip in Tahoe, about a 500 mile road trip one way. I love my truck just like all of us do, she is one of my babies.

So my list of mods goes as follows;
- 6.0l IC
- Tru-cool tranny cooler
- External tranny filter
- 203* Thermy
- Bosch water pump/ Replaced every heater hose
- Coolant filter
- 6.0l Cooling fan
- AC Mod
- RifRaff HPX
- International CPS
- DP-Tuner f-16 (80hp+ tow/econo)
- Replaced negative battery cables

As I tried hooking up the batteries up for the first time in months. They would spark something fierce. Turned out I wired my winch up incorrectly. After addressing that my truck still would not start.

Assuming i shorted the starter relay out. I ran to Napa grabbed one and she fired right up. BUT NOW my glow plug relay was SMOKING from my hot wire I believe. So I ran back to Napa grabbed a glow plug relay, threw her on and no smoke.

Drove her down the block for a quick test drive and called it good, Damn this truck feels insane now

We were only about 100 miles in when I got on the throttle a little bit. We heard a popping sound from the engine, I simply announced to my friends " I just blew an I/C boot, well be back on the road in minutes."

Oh god was i wrong sort of. As I opened the hood I noticed that yes I did blow a boot, but what seemed to be some clear fluid inside the engine comparment. I thought it was something to do with maybe the AC, until I smelt my hands. DIESEL!!

My fuel lines had small cracks in them leaving the fuel pump going into the injector valleys(at least this was my understanding of how the fuel system worked, not sure though.) I was able to tape them up and stop them from leaking, kind of. Is it possible that when my boot came loose that all the air shot onto my old fuel lines and tore them???

I drove to the nearest auto parts store, where no Part# exist for these lines. 2 shops in the area found no information for these fuel lines.

Bummed out not knowing what to do and being determined to make it to the camping trip, i bought some teflon tape, let the truck cool down and taped the ***** out of those lines the best i could.

Surprisingly we made it and had a wonderful time.

Anyways only 20 mins into the trip and it seemed like I was losing a lot of fuel according to the gauges, but they can be weird when I first start my truck up so I didnt think much of it. Well a gentlemen on the highway told me that my truck was SMOKING. I quickly pulled over and opened the hood to see FUEL EVERYWHERE, and I mean EVERYWHERE that foam thing that rest on the inside of your hood, was completey saturated. Soon after a police officer comes by and pulls over to make sure everything was ok, he was able to direct me in the direction of the closest auto parts store. After he was so kindly to notice my tuner laying on the dash, which are illegal in CA.
Honesty is the best policy.

Made it to the parts store, One line was worse than the other thank god the bad one was the accesible one, the other guy fell behind the AC compressors pedestal. Took the line into the store and thank god they had enough fittings to make me one line. Only problem they where longer in length so thus the hose would need to be longer to get the correct bends out of it. After figuring that out, getting a hydralic fuel line rated for 5000 psi installed on my truck was the only option. NOW the glow plug relay starts to SMOKE again!!! What ever, I was already at the parts store so I ran in real quick and bought a new one, there last one. Installed it in a jiffy but with no change in my luck this one smoked as well. With the store closing, I bypassed the relay by removing the hot wire and taping it off.

Anyways my ideas are I may of shorted the GP relay from drenching it in diesel possibly??
Or do you think I may have another issue on my hands?
On another note after bypassing the relay and my truck was idling i saw slight smoke coming from my alternator.

I know its alot to read any help is appreciated I don't know what to do. I feel like a bigger issue is unraveling.

Or is this just the perfect excuse to do E-fuel.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
If it was that wet in there from fuel, I'll go with you shorted it out. You really need to check over all you wiring under the hood, diesel is very hard on wiring insulation too.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
If it was that wet in there from fuel, I'll go with you shorted it out. You really need to check over all you wiring under the hood, diesel is very hard on wiring insulation too.
Is there any thing I should be looking for in particular, when checking the wiring?
I'm pretty sure my GP relay shorted out from the fuel, but what explains my first one going bad, (me wiring my winch wrong?)
What really catches my concern is when I installed the third relay after all the fuel was dry it smoked aswell.
Hoping that was a bad relay but 3 in one weekend, these were all napa and orielly relays.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Diesel will eat the insulation around the wiring. Check it over real good. Possible you have bare wires touching shorting out the relays too.