Fresh air heater controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 PM
montego69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh air heater controls

Hi all,
I'm stumped on what controls my fresh air heater. From post https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ol-cables.html, I know I need the cable that controls fan speed and temp - cable to inner fender valve. What switches position from defrost to heat and also what closes the fresh air flapper? I've got a panel from a 62 F100 that mounts under the dash. Is there something like that for the 1960 or are they controlled by cables through the dash like the kick panel air vents?
Please help!
Nick in WI

Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
There should be some decent drawings in your shop manual.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
montego69
Senior User
Ibuzzard, you are right! I pulled up the drawings and things became clearer. Here's what was leading to my confusion though:
I have the remnants of a C0TF-18549-C control panel. It is in really tough shape and I wish i had a good one...
I am missing the B8C-18495-A valve on the inner fender.
The truck's fan switch is the B7C-18578-B used on the recirculating heater. I thought everything was correct but in tough shape. Turns out my truck has a little bit of both style heaters... That's why i was confused. The heater box under the dash is the fresh-air version and correct for the truck.
Is the control panel a salvage yard only item?

Thanks,

Nick in WI

Old 06-27-2013, 02:21 PM
montego69
Senior User
water flow direction?

Ibuzzard, I found in another post (and on the drawings in the shop manual,) you mentioned the inner fender water shut-off valve is in the hose from the heater core to the intake manifold. Water flow comes from the lower tube and dumps into the top of the intake, right? I didn't find anywhere that would tell me what direction for sure it flows.
Sorry for the dumb question. I just wanted to make sure the valve is installed pointing in the right direction.

Nick

Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Montego, the control boxes are always sought after,and are not reproduced. They are occasionally found on the Bay, but you may want to put an ad in our classified section, and begin visiting salvage yards. I have an NOS one on my spares shelf, but it's not going anywhere, LOL!

Regarding the water valve - they have been reproduced, and came on the market right after I paid a handsome price for the NOS one purchased when mine failed. The repopped ones are not cheap, and I prefer known Ford quality vs questionable Chinese quality, so I purchased a second NOS one for my spares shelf, and for less money than the repopped one.

If you bought a repopped one, they are made like the original, so just put it on the way the original one was fitted. If someone monkeyed a different one in, or you are trying to make work what you have on hand, I can't help you.

I am not a hoarder, and do not collect trucks to make myself feel better, but rather collect parts to keep my one truck running indefinitely.I suggest that all Fridge owners have a dedicated shelving unit in their garage/shop, and fill it with NOS parts, focusing first on acquiring hard to find or expensive electrical items like headlight, fan, wipermotor switches, speedo and other guages, heater parts, fan motors, etc. .The parts are out there, though becoming fewer by the day. I have lots of stuff I have been gathering since I got the truck over 15 years ago. All of it is for me only, since much will never be repopped. Our trucks, though much better than the ones they replaced, are just never going to be highly sought after, I feel. Mine is intended to last me the rest of my life, and available parts are only going to get more expensive. Budget every month to buy an NOS part or two.

I monitor eBay twice per day, and because I do this, I recognize outrageous prices, ones that are usual and customary - and I know when something is going for a song, and I need to try and jump on it. The best friend and ally , when you think like me, for following this strategy, is NumberDummy, aka Bill. He has kept me in NOS parts, tracking them down, and is worth his weight in gold. Believe me, he weighs a lot! Seriously, there will be an unfillable gap on FTE if he ever follows through on his threat to move on. He has helped probably hundreds of people on here, if not thousands, often without so much as a thank-you, and ought to have his very own section in the Forums.In my opinion, he is one of the half dozen or so VIP's on FTE, and at the very top of my list. If , however, you are thin-skinned, don't have on your big-boy pants, or can't stand being told the truth in a straight-forward manner like my generation is, or ought to be,used to - then be forwarned. He pulls no punches, and I agree.

If you intend keeping your truck long-term, and have room, buy a complete parts truck. That will keep you going for years. I sometimes cringe ,however, when I see the rustbucket trucks the eastern FTE members often pay dearly for, and are proud to have done so.Buying a western or southwestern vehicle with little rust, is a way better option, even factoring in transport. You can always tell an Old Ford Truck Owner, but you just can't tell him much.....

Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
You can always tell an Old Ford Truck Owner, but you just can't tell him much.....
I resemble that remark!