Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Nighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant future
Bumper hitch

Hello all,

Have a quick question regarding the bumper hitch on my Bronco. I am getting ready to move this Friday, and have already reserved a U-haul trailer (6x12 enclosed) and I was going to have them install a frame mounted hitch on it because I had also planned on using a car hauler from U-Haul from time to time. However, when I told the U-Haul person I had a hitch ball on the rear bumper of the Bronco he told me I don't need a frame mounted hitch since it is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. (I informed him of what it said on the ball)

I am not too concerned about towing the 6x12 trailer as it will not be loaded that heavy, but was wondering if the bumper hitch would be safe for use with the car hauler? I have never towed anything with this Bronco since I have had it, but have towed U-Haul trailers in the past.

Jim
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Postmaster

Vinford has a good reputation on FTE.Vinford has a good reputation on FTE.
The weight on the ball is not may not be the hitch weight.
2001 F-350 5.4 4x4
2008 F-450 6.4 dually 4x4
Plus a few more .................
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Posting Guru

r2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyez View Post
Hello all,

Have a quick question regarding the bumper hitch on my Bronco. I am getting ready to move this Friday, and have already reserved a U-haul trailer (6x12 enclosed) and I was going to have them install a frame mounted hitch on it because I had also planned on using a car hauler from U-Haul from time to time. However, when I told the U-Haul person I had a hitch ball on the rear bumper of the Bronco he told me I don't need a frame mounted hitch since it is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. (I informed him of what it said on the ball)

I am not too concerned about towing the 6x12 trailer as it will not be loaded that heavy, but was wondering if the bumper hitch would be safe for use with the car hauler? I have never towed anything with this Bronco since I have had it, but have towed U-Haul trailers in the past.

Jim
I can't imagine hauling a car hauler with a bumper attached hitch. Just think about a hard stop and where the hitch ends up. A class III hitch is rated at hauling 6k or 10k as a wd hitch. This Must be a frame mounted hitch, not just bumper.
The ball rating has nothing to do with the hitch rating. Many 2" ***** come with a 3/4 shank but using a 1" raises the tow rating #'s.
Make sure the shank matches the hole in the tow receiver.
Some people under size this and wonder why they come loose!

Bob and better half
As my brother reminds me regularly... "Life is not a spectator sport."
2007 F-250, PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2 WD, 85k, coolant filter, DashBoss, 1999 Expedition 5.4 319k plus, 32' CrossRoads CrossTerrain 5th wheel Toy Hauler, 24' Chaparral Villain lll 598 ci
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Nighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant futureNighteyez has a brilliant future
Thanks for the advice. The ball came with the truck, and it seems to be mounted firmly. However, it does not even look like a 2" ball. So, I guess it will be fine for the moving trailer, and when I am done settling in, I'll go down and have them install a frame mounted hitch. I am going to have them do a pre-inspection before the move on Friday. I was a little concerned that they would recommend towing 5k just using the bumper hitch.

Jim
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Posting Guru

r2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyez View Post
Thanks for the advice. The ball came with the truck, and it seems to be mounted firmly. However, it does not even look like a 2" ball. So, I guess it will be fine for the moving trailer, and when I am done settling in, I'll go down and have them install a frame mounted hitch. I am going to have them do a pre-inspection before the move on Friday. I was a little concerned that they would recommend towing 5k just using the bumper hitch.

Jim
Balls come in 1 7/8", 2"' and for heavier towing, 2 5/16. 2" being the most common by far. I think most every light trailer at u haul uses 2".

Bob and better half
2007 F-250, PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2 WD, 85k, coolant filter, DashBoss, 1999 Expedition 5.4 319k plus, 32' CrossRoads CrossTerrain 5th wheel Toy Hauler, 24' Chaparral Villain lll 598 ci
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Yeah I was a bit surprised to see the 1 7/8" ball on the bumper. When I have them install the frame mounted hitch, I will upgrade to the 2" ball just for added peace of mind.

Jim
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Making the long term investment in a reciever is the right choice. Be sure to get 7 pin and 4 pin connections at the same time.

then you can have your choice of hitchballs and adapters from rv places/walmart/lowes and the list goes one.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
.... and, as R2 said above, make sure that two-inch ball has a one-inch stud, not the smaller, 3/4-inch one.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Thanks all for the advice. I know the 5k rating on the ball does not mean the hitch is rated for that, just the ball. That is why I asked the question. I did not think the bumper would be strong enough to handle a 5k tow. So when I get moved in, I'll make an appointment and get the frame mounted hitch installed with a 2 inch ball, and both 4 pin, and 7pin connectors. Thanks again for the advice.

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Post Fiend

joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Curt/Trailer Hitch (14001) | 1993 Ford Bronco 8 Cylinders H 5.8L FI | AutoZone.com here u go jim
Old 06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Posting Guru

"aaahhh, good ol' FTE.

The wealth of misinformation around this place is epic."

Are you suggesting we have given nigheyez "misinformation"?
If so, please clarify where we steered him wrong?

I do, however, like the example you gave him as a type IV hitch recommendation.

Bob and better half
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Post Fiend

joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
"aaahhh, good ol' FTE.

The wealth of misinformation around this place is epic."

Are you suggesting we have given nigheyez "misinformation"?
If so, please clarify where we steered him wrong?

I do, however, like the example you gave him as a type IV hitch recommendation.
it somthing one of my budys posted once in a jocke thread i like it so much i but it in my sig
Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Elder User

snowdog79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The OEM bumper on my '94 Bronco is rated at 4000lbs. according to the Owner's Manual and takes a 1" shank ball.
Previous:69 F600 300/5+2, 77 F250 4x2/351M/C6, 78 F150 SC 4x2/300/3M, 79 F150 4x4/400/T18, 85 Bronco II XLT 4x4/2.8/a, 89 F150 4x4/300/4M, 93 EB Bronco 5.0, 00 F150 7700 SC 4x4/5.4, 00 Ranger SC 4x4/4.0, 01 F350 CC 4x4 DRW PSD, 03 Explorer 4.6/AWD,07 F150 Screw 4x4/5.4, 94 EB Bronco 5.8
Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM
FTE NorCal chapter LDR

Interesting, I did not think the bumper would be strong enough for that. Still, the car I want to tow is 4k all by itself, so add that to the trailer it is sitting on, and I would be exceeding the limit. I will buy a frame mounted hitch, and have U-Haul install it, along with the 4 and 7 pin connections.

Jim
Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Elder User

blueeyedfordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
As in my user picture I have hauled a 6x12 recently with my truck. It has 3.08 rear end, 4r70w trans and the 4.2 v6. A friend at work calls it the "poor point 2 liter". For what it is its good on fuel economy and good for moderate towing. Rated around 4300 pounds. I have a bumper mounted Reese hitch. The trailer dry weight for a 6x12 is 2900 pounds. We put about 600 pounds in the trailer +/-. Was shocked it towed so well. Similar to my 88 f150 with a 302 and aod/3.08 gears. The big advantage was the wide ratio 4r70w trans and keeping it out of overdrive. The negatives were the 3.08 rear end and v6. I was mostly worried about the high rear end. Trailer towed easy and the automatic tongue powered hyd brakes worked fairly well. I could easily go 65 to 70 miles per hour at normal driving. But because of the bias ply tires one really shouldn't lol. That being said when funds allow o want to get a good condition used frame hitch from a friend. The u haul trailers allow 1 7/8 or two inch *****. You will be fine on bumper pull but the Reese hitch is a great investment. Broncos are excellent for towing. If you purchase that frame hitch and have to tow a car out of the ditch, or haul a car on a trailer you can do it comfortably. Not sure on the tow rating of your truck but I would think you could tow 5000 comfortably. Good luck on your trip!
1956 Massey Ferguson MF 25 6 speed diesel 23+/- HP
I work a semi truck shop and enjoy heavy equipment(:
Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels