1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The new truck broke down - need advice quick

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new truck broke down - need advice quick

I lost power steering and the brakes, so I figured the serpentine belt came off. Pulled off the road, and sure enough the belt was off.

It was caused by the vacuum pump pulley breaking. I've never seen anything like it.

Question is: I can get a pulley for about $25 or a new pump with the pulley on it for $125. Is it a worth $100 to change the pulley or is it a really bad job?

Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the pulley will only break when the pump locks up...

buy a replacement pump and belt.

Richard

Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
The pump is not siezed. Its almost brand new. I'll post some pics. It looks like the pulley was just defective. It did ruin an other wise good belt which sucks.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems really odd that the pulley would just break off, do you still have a

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Seriously, I would be taking that thing back and raising some Hell

Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
If the pump is new, then maybe whoever changed the pump damaged the pulley, like cracked it trying to pull it incorrectly. Looks to me like they might have tied to use a gear puller on the outer edge of the pulley and cracked it, then pressed it back on the new pump. I'd try the pulley first.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Change the pulley first..

It's not worth $100 to have anyone change the pulley. You can do it yourself very easily. Takes me about 10-15 minutes. I have a bunch of pics on my photobucket that I can put in here if you need to see how to change it. All you need is some wrenches, a socket/breaker bar for the tensioner, and the pulley puller/installer tool. The puller only costs like $20 IIRC at parts stores.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Change the pulley first..

It's not worth $100 to have anyone change the pulley. You can do it yourself very easily. Takes me about 10-15 minutes. I have a bunch of pics on my photobucket that I can put in here if you need to see how to change it. All you need is some wrenches, a socket/breaker bar for the tensioner, and the pulley puller/installer tool. The puller only costs like $20 IIRC at parts stores.
Yes definitely use the correct tool! This is the puller I have....Performance Tool Power Steering Pump/Alternator Pulley Puller, Model# W87020 | Specialty Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment

And this is the installer........Performance Tool Ford Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer, Model# W87021 | Specialty Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment

They work great!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, it's starting to add up -- fairly new pump, pulley most likely transferred from previous pump, pulley fails --> pulley was removed by a jaw puller. I've seen it mentioned at least once that if you use a jaw puller on a p/s or vac pump pulley, it will break.

I've used this tool from Harbor Freight - Pulley Remover and Installer Set - both to remove and install the pulley on a vac pump R&I. AFAIK most FLAPS have one like it to lend out.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got my installer and puller in a kit from Advance Auto Parts. Came with both the puller and the installer in one kit.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I bought mine at a Western Auto parts store. They weren't in a kit together though. They were hanging right beside each other in separate packages. I think I paid more for mine than what was on the Northern Tool link I posted though

Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Thanks guys. The pulley should be here today. I am going to either rent/buy a puller from the parts store.

Travis, hopefulley I can figure it out myself, but I'll let you know if I need those pictures.

Also, The cap for the PS pump was either knocked half off or else blew half off. I don't know what's up with that. But now i have a bunch of PS fluid to clean off the engine.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
you can also get a cheap installer here:
McMaster-Carr ...except you have to buy them in packages of 50 (though you can buy them one at a time at your local hardware store, probably)

in other words - a bolt and some washers works just fine for doing the re-install. the thread on in the pump shaft is 3/8-16. an 1.5" screw and some washers to shorten in up when the screw bottoms in the threads is all you need.

pulling on the hub instead of the rim of the pulley makes a lot of sense, though!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Thanks guys. The pulley should be here today. I am going to either rent/buy a puller from the parts store.

Travis, hopefulley I can figure it out myself, but I'll let you know if I need those pictures.

Also, The cap for the PS pump was either knocked half off or else blew half off. I don't know what's up with that. But now i have a bunch of PS fluid to clean off the engine.
When the belt broke, the power steering pump quit pumping, and when you turn the steering wheel without the pump pumping, it forces the fluid up and out the cap. It should be fine when you get the belt back on. Just remember to check the fluid level after it's warmed up.

Quick Reply: The new truck broke down - need advice quick